I have no idea what is happening

Alussam
So I am lost here, I have no idea what is happening when I select stuff and do
cuts or pastes it seems to feather the edges instead of doing a hard cut.

Also when I select an area to paint in, it lets me paint OVER the selection,
again in a feather manner. I cannot for the life of me find the option to stop
this.

Attached to this post is an image of what is happening

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1308/original/Why_is_this_happening_with_gimp.png

--
Toriningen (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

I have no idea what is happening

Alussam
Maybe you have faded edges activated in your selection?
(Screenshot in german, sorry)

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1310/original/fade.jpg

--
dwrl (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

I have no idea what is happening

Alussam
>Maybe you have faded edges activated in your selection?
>(Screenshot in german, sorry)
>
>Attachments:
>* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1310/original/fade.jpg
No, I checked out those options already. One of those are on.

--
Toriningen (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: I have no idea what is happening

Michael Schumacher
Am 29.12.19 um 15:09 schrieb Toriningen:
>> Maybe you have faded edges activated in your selection?
>> (Screenshot in german, sorry)
>>
>> Attachments:
>> * https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1310/original/fade.jpg
> No, I checked out those options already. One of those are on.

Maybe add a screenshot of the selection options?

"One of those are on" in your message is likely a typo, but might turn
out to be correct in retrospect.

On 12/3/19 11:21 AM, Toriningen wrote:

> So I am lost here, I have no idea what is happening when I select stuff and do
> cuts or pastes it seems to feather the edges instead of doing a hard cut.
>
> Also when I select an area to paint in, it lets me paint OVER the selection,
> again in a feather manner. I cannot for the life of me find the option to stop
> this.
>
> Attached to this post is an image of what is happening
>
> Attachments:
> * https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1308/original/Why_is_this_happening_with_gimp.png

As said by others, likely due to a "feathered" selection.

Note that the "marching ants" are not the absolute limit of the
selection. They indicate the 50% selection point, so if you have a
feathering, the feathering extends on both sides (but in your case it is
much mess visible on the blue side, especially of you did two strokes or
more).

On Tue, 2019-12-03 at 11:21 +0100, Toriningen wrote:
> So I am lost here, I have no idea what is happening when I select
> stuff and do
> cuts or pastes it seems to feather the edges instead of doing a hard
> cut.
Check "tool options" for the tool you used to make the selection; if
"Feather" is checked, with a number showing under it, uncheck
"feather".

slave

--
Liam Quin (slave ankh) - web slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/
Click here to have the slave beaten.

I have no idea what is happening

Alussam
>Check "tool options" for the tool you used to make the selection; if
>"Feather" is checked, with a number showing under it, uncheck
>"feather".
>
>slave
I do not have feathered on and this problem just randomly keeps happening.

Here are my options, these do not change.

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1347/original/no_feather.png

--
Toriningen (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

I have no idea what is happening

Alussam
>I do not have feathered on and this problem just randomly keeps
>happening.
>
>Here are my options, these do not change.

Looking at the image in the first post, seems a high degree of magnification
showing pixel boundaries.

From that last screenshot of the tool options, antialising is enabled. So you
get semi-transparent pixels. Turn it off for a hard edge

Same with painting, the brush tool introduces antialising, use the pencil tool
for hard edges.

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1348/original/antialising.jpg