I can't open gimp

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

I can't open gimp

chrisj
I can't open gimp, I'm on ubuntu 16.04 and when I run gimp with the terminal ,
I've this error: " symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgimpconfig-2.0.so.0:
undefined symbol: gimp_matrix2_get_type". I've tried to desinstall gimp and
reinstall but the problem still the same.

--
Prototype (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

I can't open gimp

chrisj
>I can't open gimp, I'm on ubuntu 16.04 and when I run gimp with the
>terminal , I've this error: " symbol lookup error:
>/usr/lib/libgimpconfig-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol:
>gimp_matrix2_get_type". I've tried to desinstall gimp and reinstall
>but the problem still the same.

I run Gimp in Kubuntu 16.04 without any problems. Try to help but some
questions.

What flavour 32/64 bit are you using and which version of Gimp?

Did it ever work? If yes, have you deleted your Gimp profile ~/.gimp-2.8 and
started Gimp again to make a new default profile.

The standard version is Gimp 2.8.16 but you could upgrade to Gimp 2.8.22 by
enabling a ppa. Might as well if the regular installation is borked.

Go here and follow the instructions.

https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasch/+archive/ubuntu/gimp

Note: the comment about a new profile still applies. Un-install/re-install does
not remove your Gimp profile. Delete it and let Gimp make a new one.

Otherwise, it is guesswork. Why are you starting Gimp from a terminal and what
command? Does Gimp start from the menu shortcut? Have you installed any
dubious/old Gimp plug-ins or "enhancements"

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

--
rich2005 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

I can't open gimp

chrisj
>I run Gimp in Kubuntu 16.04 without any problems. Try to help but some
>questions.

>What flavour 32/64 bit are you using and which version of Gimp?

>32 bits ; gimp 2.8

>Did it ever work? If yes, have you deleted your Gimp profile

Yes, he worked, And I'dont understand what is a gimp profile


>The standard version is Gimp 2.8.16 but you could upgrade to Gimp
>2.8.22 by enabling a ppa. Might as well if the regular installation is
>borked.
>
>Go here and follow the instructions.
>
>https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgulasch/+archive/ubuntu/gimp
>
>Note: the comment about a new profile still applies.
>Un-install/re-install does not remove your Gimp profile. Delete it and
>let Gimp make a new one.
>
>Otherwise, it is guesswork. Why are you starting Gimp from a terminal
>and what command? Does Gimp start from the menu shortcut? Have you
>installed any dubious/old Gimp plug-ins or "enhancements"

>No, gimp doesn't start from the menu shortcut so I've run it with a terminal
with the command " gimp-2.8"


and sorry for my bad english I'm french

--
Prototype (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

I can't open gimp

chrisj
In reply to this post by chrisj

>Have you
>installed any dubious/old Gimp plug-ins or "enhancements"
>I've installed gimp from the ubuntu softaware center with his optional greffons


--
Prototype (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

I can't open gimp

chrisj

Well gimp starts from a terminal with both, gimp or gimp-2.8 so it is not that
and your English is better than my French. Not sure of 'greffons' Translates as
'masks'

Can you try this, in a terminal (note wildcard *)

sudo apt-get purge gimp* libgimp*

Hopefully that will get rid of all your existing Gimp installation

then in a terminal

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp

follow the instructions which are:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install gimp

Then check in the graphics menu for Gimp.

If really stuck try www.gimp-forum.net the moderator is French.

--
rich2005 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: I can't open gimp

Michael Schumacher
In reply to this post by chrisj
Am 11.07.2017 um 20:26 schrieb rich2005:

> Did it ever work? If yes, have you deleted your Gimp profile ~/.gimp-2.8 and
> started Gimp again to make a new default profile.

rich, can you please *never* suggest to delete the user profile?
Please only advise users to rename it.

If the users does this, and this turn out to fix the issue, we'll never,
ever have a chance to figure out what exactly has caused this.


--
Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

I can't open gimp

chrisj
>Am 11.07.2017 um 20:26 schrieb rich2005:
>rich, can you please *never* suggest to delete the user profile?
>Please only advise users to rename it.
>
>If the users does this, and this turn out to fix the issue, we'll
>never,
>ever have a chance to figure out what exactly has caused this.

Yes, but if you read through the thread the installation is screwed-up. As I
read it, surprised if the OP even has a Gimp profile let alone one that is
populated.

However, I do know what you mean.

--
rich2005 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

I can't open gimp

chrisj
In reply to this post by chrisj
YES; IT works!!! thanks for your help!!! I've make what you said and it works, !

--
Prototype (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Loading...