How many people use g'mic?

Users mailing list
Would like to hear opinions about g'mic.

Re: How many people use g'mic?

Users mailing list
On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 4:39 PM Joel Rees via gimp-user-list
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would like to hear opinions about g'mic.

G'MIC is full of ponies and rainbow dust!

Re: How many people use g'mic?

I use GMIC nearly every time I use GIMP. For both image repair (I'm
typically restoring old photograps, see, e.g., Repair, Anisotropic
smoothing!) and its excellent artistic affects.

Regards

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 05:04:00PM +0300, Alexandre Prokoudine via gimp-user-list wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 4:39 PM Joel Rees via gimp-user-list
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Would like to hear opinions about g'mic.
>
> G'MIC is full of ponies and rainbow dust!
>
> Alex

Agreed ;-)

For my photos, some of the filters are very useful.

The downsides are that in difficult images I can spend hours
deciding on the best sharpening filter for that particular image (on
most pics, the gimp's own unsharp mask is good enough), and when
looking at old jpegs I can be tempted to try all the 'film' filters.

ĸen
--
I'm saving up 22 shillings and 10 pence (almost a pound!) per week to
buy an ARM-13.

Re: How many people use g'mic?

Users mailing list
I tend to use it almost every time I’m working on something. ;)
On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 12:01 PM Ken Moffat via gimp-user-list <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 05:04:00PM +0300, Alexandre Prokoudine via
> gimp-user-list wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 4:39 PM Joel Rees via gimp-user-list
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Would like to hear opinions about g'mic.
> >
> > G'MIC is full of ponies and rainbow dust!
> >
> > Alex
>
> Agreed ;-)
>
> For my photos, some of the filters are very useful.
>
> The downsides are that in difficult images I can spend hours
> deciding on the best sharpening filter for that particular image (on
> most pics, the gimp's own unsharp mask is good enough), and when
> looking at old jpegs I can be tempted to try all the 'film' filters.
>
> ĸen
> --
> I'm saving up 22 shillings and 10 pence (almost a pound!) per week to
> buy an ARM-13.
>
> http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2018/11/brexit-means-brexit.html

https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC

Re: How many people use g'mic?

Steve Kinney

On 12/16/18 8:39 AM, Joel Rees via gimp-user-list wrote:
> Would like to hear opinions about g'mic.

G'MIC rules, there is none higher, they can have my G'MIC when they pry
it out of my cold, dead computer.  All Hail the Mighty G'MIC!

But seriously, I do use some of its 'repair' filters quite often.  A lot
of the others seem more like toys to me, but I'm sure that users with
other needs regard some functions I only play with as entirely practical
tools.

:o)

Re: How many people use g'mic?

On 12/16/18 5:39 AM, Joel Rees via gimp-user-list wrote:
> Would like to hear opinions about g'mic.

I use it on occasion and *L*O*V*E* it!  I just wish I had time to
experiment more with it and see what neat effects I can get with the
various filters.  A number don't work, for some reason, but most do so
overall, I'm completely happy with it.

Peace...

Tom

How many people use g'mic?

GimpMango
>Would like to hear opinions about g'mic.

I feel that GMIC completes GIMP. Actually, it was a  user on these forums who
very kindly took time to make a video addressing my last question, who
recommended GMIC to me. I really love the spirit of their project and find the
tools to be invaluable to anything I'm doing. I would also recommend the
"download all data" option from within the filter if you really love camera
presets. It's pretty amazing. I can't really stress how cool GMIC is.

I came to the forum today because I use Linux Mint and cannot seem to get GMIC
working with 2.10, so I'm stuck on  2.8. That's how much I love the GMIC. :)

--
bolete2 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

How many people use g'mic?

GimpMango

>I came to the forum today because I use Linux Mint and cannot seem to
>get GMIC working with 2.10, so I'm stuck on  2.8. That's how much I
>love the GMIC. :)

My advice, ask the question on one of those other forums where it is easier to
give comprehensive advice than using this mailing list format.

However, This using a Ubuntu 18.10 (VM) Gimp 2.10.8 from ppa and gmic_gimp_qt
from www.gmic.eu Can't be a million miles from your Mint installation.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Rt4JraK.jpg[/img]

Not working? It might just be some missing QT dependencies?

or

Using maybe a flatpak Gimp 2.10? No QT support in this. I can get an old GTK
version of gmic working but only because I am keen.

An alternative for linux is an appimage. The latest come with gmic installed.
You are dependent on what the appimage maintainer gives you.

Re: How many people use g'mic?

Thanks for all the responses on g'mic. My daughter installed it and has
been making good use of it. Now I guess I should, too.