How do you color different layers

kyle-35
When I open a pic up with the gimp it opens as background layer. Can
anyone tell me how make that the sketch layer,and not the background
layer.I've been hard at it for three days now and I know thats quite
sad on my part, that I can't figure it out.Can anyone help me out with
this please .

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: How do you color different layers

Roel Schroeven-2
Kyle wrote:
> When I open a pic up with the gimp it opens as background layer. Can
> anyone tell me how make that the sketch layer,and not the background
> layer.I've been hard at it for three days now and I know thats quite
> sad on my part, that I can't figure it out.Can anyone help me out with
> this please .

Hi,
When you open a picture from an image format which does not know the
concept of layer (e.g. jpeg), the content is put in a layer whose name
is set to "background" (which is just a name). The background layer can
be used as any other layer. You can paint in it, copy from it, select in
it, etc. In other words, it is also a "sketch layer".

Now, you can add more layer on top of if with the "new layer" icon in
the "Layers, Channels and Paths" dock (if it is not open, go to the
"dialogs" menu, but by default, you should have it open).

The only difference between the background layer and other layers added
afterwards is that other layers contain an alpha channel (transparency
information). This implies you cannot move the background layer on top
of the others as long as you have not added this alpha channel to it. It
is done very easily by right clicking on the layer in the layer window
(previously mentionned) and choosing "add alpha channel".

Please note that all the information I give here is available in the
"Tip of the day"(*) window that pops up when you start gimp. You should
definitely take the time to read the tips. It would take you 5 minutes
and would probably save you some time afterwards:

Sincerely,

Olivier Ripoll.

(*) example of such tips:
  - The GIMP uses layers to let you organize your image. Think of them
as a stack of slides or filters, such that looking through them you see
a composite of their contents.

  - You can perform many layer operations by right-clicking on the text
label of a layer in the Layers dialog.

  - The layer named "Background" is special because it lacks
transparency. This prevents you from moving the layer up in the stack.
You may add transparency to it by right-clicking in the Layers dialog
and selecting "Add Alpha Channel".

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: How do you color different layers

Hago Ziegler
Kyle schrieb:

> When I open a pic up with the gimp it opens as background layer...

What do you mean with "pic"?
Is that something special?

Hago