How do I put diacritics in text?

Alex Bell
I'm afraid I have minimal knowledge of GIMP; I only use it to design
simple covers for the ebooks I design for the free ebook library at
www.mobileread.com.

The ebook I'm about to start working on is 'The Adventures of Elizabeth
in Rügen'. As you can see the u in Rügen has an umlaut, but I can't work
out how to produce that with GIMP. The text is white on a black
background, so I can't make an image of the text and use that.

Can anyone tell me how to put diacritics in text?

--
Regards, Alex
"I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong."

Re: How do I put diacritics in text?

Shlomi Fish
Hi Alex!

On Mon, 8 May 2017 18:11:20 +1000
Alex Bell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm afraid I have minimal knowledge of GIMP; I only use it to design
> simple covers for the ebooks I design for the free ebook library at
> www.mobileread.com.
>
> The ebook I'm about to start working on is 'The Adventures of Elizabeth
> in Rügen'. As you can see the u in Rügen has an umlaut, but I can't work
> out how to produce that with GIMP. The text is white on a black
> background, so I can't make an image of the text and use that.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to put diacritics in text?

I have no problem inserting a "ü" using my compose key in GIMP (fedora 26
x86-64). See:

http://www.shlomifish.org/Files/files/images/gimp--text-with-unicode-u-umlaut.png

GIMP should support many unicode codepoints given font support. Try using a
compose key or pasting the text into the GIMP text tool.

Regards,

        Shlomi

How do I put diacritics in text?

>I'm afraid I have minimal knowledge of GIMP; I only use it to design
>simple covers for the ebooks I design for the free ebook library at
>www.mobileread.com.
>
>The ebook I'm about to start working on is 'The Adventures of
>Elizabeth
>in Rügen'. As you can see the u in Rügen has an umlaut, but I can't
>work
>out how to produce that with GIMP. The text is white on a black
>background, so I can't make an image of the text and use that.
>
>Can anyone tell me how to put diacritics in text?

I use linux, and compose key works very well, Windows has a ctrl-key + numberpad
equivalent.

However not many Windows users these days use that, so the alternative.

Look for the windows character map and copy/paste into Wordpad screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/pB9E7vl.jpg

Then when finished copy the whole of the text.

In Gimp Text tool options enable "Use Editor" and paste the text in screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/K0Mq3tl.jpg

Re: How do I put diacritics in text?

Alexandre Prokoudine
On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 11:11 AM, Alex Bell wrote:

> The ebook I'm about to start working on is 'The Adventures of Elizabeth in
> Rügen'. As you can see the u in Rügen has an umlaut, but I can't work out
> how to produce that with GIMP. The text is white on a black background, so I
> can't make an image of the text and use that.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to put diacritics in text?

Copy the word Rügen from your web browser and paste it into the text box?

Re: How do I put diacritics in text?

Helmut Jarausch
On 05/08/2017 10:11:20 AM, Alex Bell wrote:

> I'm afraid I have minimal knowledge of GIMP; I only use it to design
> simple covers for the ebooks I design for the free ebook library at
> www.mobileread.com.
>
> The ebook I'm about to start working on is 'The Adventures of
> Elizabeth in Rügen'. As you can see the u in Rügen has an umlaut, but
> I can't work out how to produce that with GIMP. The text is white on
> a black background, so I can't make an image of the text and use that.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to put diacritics in text?

Hi Alex,

I don't see your problem. If you have a keyboard with German umlauts
then just enter the character like ü in Gimp's Texttool ( 'A' in the
toolbox).

If you have a US keyboard you can enter the following lines into your
$HOME/.Xmodmap

keycode 135 = Mode_switch
keycode 116 = Down
keycode 117 = Next

! For KEYSYMNAME see /usr/include/X11/keysymdef.h
! A
        keycode 38 = a A adiaeresis Adiaeresis
! O
        keycode 32 = o O odiaeresis Odiaeresis
! S
        keycode 39 = s S ssharp     ssharp
! U
        keycode 30 = u U udiaeresis Udiaeresis
! E + accent
         keycode 26 = e E eacute egrave

and in   $HOME/.xinitrc add the following lines

xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap

# disable autorepeat for the Mode_switch key
xset -r 135

Now, if you press the 'Menu key' (left to the left <Control> key)
together with (<SHIFT>) A, O, S or U
you get the German umlaut characters or the German ß character.
You can try this within an XTerm.

Re: How do I put diacritics in text?

Rick Strong-2
Use Unicode characters. Various language code tables can be found below.

From Techwalla:

"Select "Use Editor" in the GIMP toolbox to display the text editor and then
press "Ctrl," "Shift" and "U" to enable direct Unicode entry. The text
editor displays a "u" to represent a Unicode character. Insert the symbol by
typing its Unicode value in the window and pressing "Enter.""

Unicode from unicode-table.com:

https://unicode-table.com/en/blocks/general-punctuation/
"General Punctuation is a Unicode block containing punctuation, spacing, and
formatting characters for use with all scripts and writing systems. Included
are the defined-width spaces, joining formats, directional formats, smart
quotes, archaic and novel punctuation such as the interobang, and invisible
mathematical operators."

Rick S.

Re: How do I put diacritics in text?

Rick Strong-2
You want the "Latin-1 supplement":
https://unicode-table.com/en/blocks/latin-1-supplement/

Rick S.

Re: How do I put diacritics in text?

Shlomi Fish
Hi Alex,

please reply to all recipients - see
http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/netiquette/email/reply-to-list.html

. I'm CCing the list.

On Tue, 9 May 2017 11:17:08 +1000 Alex Bell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Shlomi. The problem is fixed.

Great! You're welcome.

> But I have had so many responses and am a new member of the group, so I
> need to ask - it is customary to respond to every reply?

You can make a single reply thanking everyone who responded.