Help with smoothing out selection

Luthien
Hello,

Is there any way to smooth out a selection?  The magic tool works very well, but
too well in my case because it highlights artifacts in my image scan.   Attached
is a file where you can see the blue blob and it has a bunch of slashes in it.
I want to smooth out the blob so it does not have any of the slashes in it.
(This came from a scan that was damaged and I want to repair the artwork)  Up
until now I have done this by hand, but I feel like there is probably an easier
way than that.

Any help is appreciated.  If I have to keep doing it by hand I will, but hoping
there is some tool in Gimps toolbox that an help here :)

Thank you for your time,

Scott

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1369/original/test.gif

--
azox (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Help with smoothing out selection

Luthien
>Hello,
>
>Is there any way to smooth out a selection?  The magic tool works very
>well, but
>too well in my case because it highlights artifacts in my image scan.
>Attached
>is a file where you can see the blue blob and it has a bunch of
>slashes in it.
>I want to smooth out the blob so it does not have any of the slashes
>in it.
>(This came from a scan that was damaged and I want to repair the
>artwork)  Up
>until now I have done this by hand, but I feel like there is probably
>an easier
>way than that.
>
>Any help is appreciated.  If I have to keep doing it by hand I will,
>but hoping
>there is some tool in Gimps toolbox that an help here :)

Try something like:

1. Colour select the blue.

2. Grow the selection by (say) 10 pixels to close off the small areas.

3. Shrink the selection back down the same amount.

4. Fill the selection with the colour.

or if it is easier, in reverse

select the white / shrink / grow / invert selection / fill

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1370/original/jaggies.jpg

Help with smoothing out selection

Luthien
>Try something like:
>
>1. Colour select the blue.
>
>2. Grow the selection by (say) 10 pixels to close off the small areas.
>
>3. Shrink the selection back down the same amount.
>
>4. Fill the selection with the colour.
>
>or if it is easier, in reverse
>
>select the white / shrink / grow / invert selection / fill
>
>Attachments:
>*
>https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1370/original/jaggies.jpg

You ROCK!  For years I have been doing this by hand and your simple trick worked
like a charm and saves me so much time.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Scott

--
azox (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)