Help with installing Local Help

Roundball
Hi.
I'm running Win10.

I've downloaded and succesfully run to completion the UK (en)  help install file
at https://www.gimp.org/downloads/. Several times. Restarted Gimp, exited,
re-installed, restarted, etc. etc.

Gimp, however, persists in telling me that "The GIMP user manual is not
installed on your computer".

So I know I'm not the brightest kid on the block, but I'm thinking the  24mb
Help file at https://www.gimp.org/downloads/ (which is a  help install system,
and not a file(s)) ~ I would have everything needed to set things up and make it
work without additional effort would be in there once run.

yes? no?
The message doesn't give me much more guidance, and the Gimp.org download page
doesn't point me to (one or more) additional files to pull. Or where to put
them.

I've searched in this (and other) forums and the mist seems to have settled on a
lot of folk over a very long time. There are many, many conversations, but none
of the replies make any sense to me.

Can anyone help me to join the Kool Kidz Klub and get help to work without doing
handstands?

Many thanks,

--
ilinkcs (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Help with installing Local Help

Roundball
>Hi.
>I'm running Win10.
>
>I've downloaded and succesfully run to completion the UK (en)  help
>install file at https://www.gimp.org/downloads/. Several times.
>Restarted Gimp, exited, re-installed, restarted, etc. etc.
>
>Gimp, however, persists in telling me that "The GIMP user manual is
>not installed on your computer".

This is a common problem, been this way for a long time, and  re-installing
over-and-over never fixes anything

Easiest solution:

Go to C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\help\en_GB

Rename the en_GB to en

Start Gimp, check in Edit -> Preferences -> Help System

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/304/original/gimp-en_GB-help.jpg

Re: Help with installing Local Help

Jernej =?utf-7?Q?Simon+AQ0-i+AQ0-?=
On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 11:57:35 +-0200, ilinkcs wrote:

> I've downloaded and succesfully run to completion the UK (en)  help install file
> at https://www.gimp.org/downloads/. Several times. Restarted Gimp, exited,
> re-installed, restarted, etc. etc.

Make sure your UI language is set to UK English, otherwise GIMP will look
for US English help file.

--
< Jernej Simon+AQ0-i+AQ0- ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

Help with installing Local Help

Roundball
>This is a common problem, been this way for a long time, and
>re-installing over-and-over never fixes anything
>
>Easiest solution:
>
>Go to C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\help\en_GB
>
>Rename the en_GB to en
>
>Start Gimp, check in Edit -> Preferences -> Help System

Rich,

you're a Hero.
Go to the top of the class.
Worked like a dream!

:) :) :)
Many thanks

--
ilinkcs (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Help with installing Local Help

Roundball
>This is a common problem, been this way for a long time, and
>re-installing over-and-over never fixes anything
>
>Easiest solution:
>
>Go to C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\help\en_GB
>
>Rename the en_GB to en
>
>Start Gimp, check in Edit -> Preferences -> Help System

Do I follow the same procedure regardless of language version?

--
verticalman (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Help with installing Local Help

Roundball
>Do I follow the same procedure regardless of language version?

It should not be necessary for other than 'English' english help files.

If you installed Gimp for XYZ language and then installed the help files for XYZ
laguage, the first thing you should check is in Edit -> Preferences -> Interface
and see if your language is in the drop down list.

see attachment: I only have various english variants showing.

If it is not there then you might have to start messing with folder names but
hopefully not.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/557/original/lang.jpg

Help with installing Local Help

Roundball
>It should not be necessary for other than 'English' english help
>files.
>
>If you installed Gimp for XYZ language and then installed the help
>files for XYZ laguage, the first thing you should check is in Edit ->
>Preferences -> Interface and see if your language is in the drop down
>list.
>
>see attachment: I only have various english variants showing.
>
>If it is not there then you might have to start messing with folder
>names but hopefully not.

If I understand correctly, there are localized versions of GIMP? Is there a link
in that case? As it is, the standard English language help files installed just
fine.

--
verticalman (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Help with installing Local Help

Roundball
>If I understand correctly, there are localized versions of GIMP? Is
>there a link in that case? As it is, the standard English language
>help files installed just fine.

When you installed Gimp which language did you use?

Bottom of this page is a list of mirrors https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

If possible go to the mirror closest to you and look for the help section then
windows then 2.8 See if a suitable language is available.

example:
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/help/windows/2.8/2.8.2/

and a screenshot http://i.imgur.com/ClPERra.jpg

AFAIK the only problem might arise with the en_UK version when Gimp does not
have English(en_GB) in the 'languages list'

An example here of the conventional way for installation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWCujrZWuSs 3 min

If using say, French, substitute French for English(GB) in that procedure.

However, bottom line is, you installed the US (en) help files, do they work, are
you happy with them?

Help with installing Local Help

Roundball
>When you installed Gimp which language did you use?
>
>Bottom of this page is a list of mirrors
>https://www.gimp.org/downloads/
>
>If possible go to the mirror closest to you and look for the help
>section then windows then 2.8 See if a suitable language is available.
>
>example:
>http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/help/windows/2.8/2.8.2/
>
>and a screenshot http://i.imgur.com/ClPERra.jpg
>
>AFAIK the only problem might arise with the en_UK version when Gimp
>does not have English(en_GB) in the 'languages list'
>
>An example here of the conventional way for installation:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWCujrZWuSs 3 min
>
>If using say, French, substitute French for English(GB) in that
>procedure.
>
>However, bottom line is, you installed the US (en) help files, do they
>work, are you happy with them?

I just clicked the orange button marked with "Download GIMP 2.8.20 directly".
The I tried both
https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/help/windows/2.8/2.8.2/gimp-help-2-2.8.2-nn-setup.exe
and
https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/help/windows/2.8/2.8.2/gimp-help-2-2.8.2-en_GB-setup.exe,
none of which is working. So I installed the US language manual, which is fine
by me as of now.

--
verticalman (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)