Help with Cropping

12

Help with Cropping

rich2005
Hi I would love some help with this one please.

I am trying to do a simple crop to 8*10 in GIMP I have attached a graphic of the
settings

Fixed is unchecked
Size set to inches

I am selecting the rough area that I want.  I am then putting the dimension into
the size variables and then GIMP changes the values.

I would love so help on this please it is driving me nuts!

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/584/original/CropSettings.JPG

--
meathie (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Help with Cropping

rich2005
>Hi I would love some help with this one please.
>
>I am trying to do a simple crop to 8*10 in GIMP I have attached a
>graphic of the settings
>
>Fixed is unchecked
>Size set to inches
>
>I am selecting the rough area that I want.  I am then putting the
>dimension into the size variables and then GIMP changes the values.
>
>I would love so help on this please it is driving me nuts!

Remember that Gimp is a raster editor and works internally with pixels and not
real-world units.

However, you are using inches. In the crop tool options

Ignore the fixed option, that works with pixels.

Make a crop area on the canvas, anywhere, any size.

1. Position; set the values to 0 , 0 Click in the little box and you can edit
these values.

2. Size: Set the units to inches in the drop down box

3. Size: Set the Size to 8 and 10.

The crop adjusts as screenshot 1.

4. With the crop tool still active, click in the canvas and move the crop area
as required.

screenshot 2

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/585/original/01.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/586/original/02.jpg

Help with Cropping

edit:

>I am selecting the rough area that I want.  I am then putting the
>dimension into the size variables and then GIMP changes the values.

That is why I suggested setting the origin to 0 , 0

If the extent of the crop area is outside the canvas, then the crop size value
is adjusted accordingly.

Help with Cropping

rich2005
>edit:
>That is why I suggested setting the origin to 0 , 0
>
>If the extent of the crop area is outside the canvas, then the crop
>size value is adjusted accordingly.

Richie....Thank you so much, it all make perfect sense now.  Thank you

--
meathie (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Help with Cropping

rich2005
>Richie....Thank you so much, it all make perfect sense now.  Thank you

Rich2005, while that all makes very good sense to me I am still having the same
issue.  The image was taken with a Cannon 7D DSLR so I find it hard to
understand why the image is so small that I can not crop it to an 8*10 .

Any ideas?

--
meathie (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Help with Cropping

rich2005
>Rich2005, while that all makes very good sense to me I am still having
>the same issue.  The image was taken with a Cannon 7D DSLR so I find
>it hard to understand why the image is so small that I can not crop it
>to an 8*10 .
>
>Any ideas?

Upon further investigation (changing the ruler measurement to inches) it appears
that the size of the file is less than an inch in each direction.

Does this mean that I need to scale it before I crop?

Matt

--
meathie (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Help with Cropping

rich2005
>Upon further investigation (changing the ruler measurement to inches)
>it appears that the size of the file is less than an inch in each
>direction.
>
>Does this mean that I need to scale it before I crop?
>
>Matt

I tried to scale it got nothing, then I thought that maybe I need to scale the
canvas first so i tried that but it would only let me scale to 4.somthing
inches.

All I want to do is produce a photo that will fit into an 8*10 frame...one
frustrated user ;-)

Matt

--
meathie (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Help with Cropping

rich2005
>The image was taken with a Cannon 7D DSLR so I find it hard to understand why
>the image is so small that I can not crop it to an 8*10 .

That camera has a 18MP sensor and should produce images around the 5000 x 3600
pixel mark. Of course you can set a camera up to take much smaller sizes but my
guess is you have got a built-in thumbnail rather than the actual image. What
format is the image, jpeg or RAW (.CRW .CR2)?

If the image format is RAW then use the Canon software that comes with the
camera to convert it for editing. There are plugins for Gimp that handle RAW
images but the camera makers software will be best.

>Upon further investigation (changing the ruler measurement to inches) it
appears
>that the size of the file is less than an inch in each direction.

The attached screenshot is my 18MP lumix. The important bit is the size in
pixels at the top. Then go into Image -> Print Size and see what it says there.
Come back and give the equivalent values of your image.

>All I want to do is produce a photo that will fit into an 8*10 frame...one
>frustrated user ;-)

I could write a 1000 words on this but I am not going to. This little video
shows it all in 4 minutes.

https://youtu.be/UuvsAT9rQ08

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/588/original/print_size.jpg

Help with Cropping

rich2005
>That camera has a 18MP sensor and should produce images around the
>5000 x 3600 pixel mark. Of course you can set a camera up to take much
>smaller sizes but my guess is you have got a built-in thumbnail rather
>than the actual image. What format is the image, jpeg or RAW (.CRW
>.CR2)?
>
>If the image format is RAW then use the Canon software that comes with
>the camera to convert it for editing. There are plugins for Gimp that
>handle RAW images but the camera makers software will be best.
>The attached screenshot is my 18MP lumix. The important bit is the
>size in pixels at the top. Then go into Image -> Print Size and see
>what it says there. Come back and give the equivalent values of your
>image.
>I could write a 1000 words on this but I am not going to. This little
>video shows it all in 4 minutes.
>
>https://youtu.be/UuvsAT9rQ08
>
>rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Thank you I will have a look at the video and get back to you.  I really
appreciate it.

Matt

--
meathie (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Help with Cropping

rich2005
>Thank you I will have a look at the video and get back to you.  I
>really appreciate it.
>
>Matt

another frustrated new user here on this whole cropping thing.

in photoshop  i throw in 8x10 @ 200, use the crop tool, and what do you know.  I
get a 8x10 crop @ 200

what's the deal with gimp?  I mean what am I missing here...?

I watched the vid.  first off he changes the ruler sizing to inches with some
feature below, which I don't have.  then he goes into print size?

I can't afford to do all these steps on hundreds of images for a catalog.

is there anyway, I can place YxZ and get an 8x10, or 11x14 without jumping
through hoops?

--
SayCheeze (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Help with Cropping

rich2005
>another frustrated new user here on this whole cropping thing.
>
>in photoshop  i throw in 8x10 @ 200, use the crop tool, and what do
>you know.  I get a 8x10 crop @ 200
>
>what's the deal with gimp?  I mean what am I missing here...?
>
>I watched the vid.  first off he changes the ruler sizing to inches
>with some feature below, which I don't have.  then he goes into print
>size?
>
>I can't afford to do all these steps on hundreds of images for a
>catalog.
>
>is there anyway, I can place YxZ and get an 8x10, or 11x14 without
>jumping through hoops?

I sympathize with you SayCheeze, I have not found the solution to the issue as
yet.  However stay posted you never know what we may find ;-)

@SayCheeze

>another frustrated new user here on this whole cropping thing.
>
>in photoshop  i throw in 8x10 @ 200, use the crop tool, and what do
>you know.  I get a 8x10 crop @ 200
>
>what's the deal with gimp?  I mean what am I missing here...?

Do not expect Gimp to work the same way as PS. The Gimp crop tool fixed size
options work in pixels. If you want 200 ppi set the size to 1600 x 2000 pix.
Otherwise use the print size dialogue.

>I watched the vid.  first off he changes the ruler sizing to inches
>with some feature below, which I don't have.  then he goes into print
>size?

Believe me you do have that feature, not my fault if you can not be bothered to
find out how Gimp works.

>I can't afford to do all these steps on hundreds of images for a
>catalog.

Then go back and use what you are comfortable with.

>is there anyway, I can place YxZ and get an 8x10, or 11x14 without
>jumping through hoops?

The only hoops are in your mind.

@meathie

>I sympathize with you SayCheeze, I have not found the solution to the
>issue as yet.  However stay posted you never know what we may find ;-)

You still have not given the image dimensions in pixels yet. Not difficult. It
is at the **top of the image window**

From your posts, best guess is still you have opened a thumbnail instead of the
full image. Can happen with Canon .CR files. especially if they are corrupted
somehow.

But...I am sure someone will come up with better solutions for both of you. Best
of luck.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/591/original/photoshop-user.jpg

Re: Help with Cropping

Michael Schumacher

On 05/25/2017 01:47 AM, SayCheeze wrote:

> in photoshop  i throw in 8x10 @ 200, use the crop tool, and what do you know.  I
> get a 8x10 crop @ 200

8"x10" at 200 ppi is 1600 x 2000 pixels.

If you can crop the image to this size and get what you want, you do not
need additional steps.

If you do - i.e. if a 1600x2000 crop does not match up with what you
want to crop out of the original image - then a scale will become
necessary.

Can you provide a sample image and mark the area you want to retain
after the crop?

> I watched the vid.  first off he changes the ruler sizing to inches with some
> feature below, which I don't have.

There is an unit drop-down list in the image window status bar - check
the View menu. This can also be set in GIMP's preferences.

> then he goes into print size?

Maybe to adjust the image resolution.

Help with Cropping

rich2005
>8"x10" at 200 ppi is 1600 x 2000 pixels.
>
>If you can crop the image to this size and get what you want, you do
>not
>need additional steps.
>
>If you do - i.e. if a 1600x2000 crop does not match up with what you
>want to crop out of the original image - then a scale will become
>necessary.
>
>Can you provide a sample image and mark the area you want to retain
>after the crop?
>There is an unit drop-down list in the image window status bar - check
>the View menu. This can also be set in GIMP's preferences.
>Maybe to adjust the image resolution.

Hello Micheal.  I'll look into GIMP later today, when I get to the studio.  So
from what I've read, I have to convert  what I want the end result to be, i.e.
size crop and dpi to pixels, and use that number to achieve the desired size
crop?

I can provide a sample image but of course they would all vary on the end target
with regard to a crop.  My editing for my images are relatively minimal in
nature.

I crop 8x10
Tweak contrast if desired
I use the gradient tool [foreground to transparent]  in all 4 corners usually
I sharpen them
Save to .jpg for my lab to print proofs.

Done.

I guess I can make up a cheat sheet and stick it on the wall for all my usual
crops for orders to determine pixel count.

16x20's
11x14's
8x10's
5x7's
4x5's
etc...

--
SayCheeze (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Help with Cropping

Patrick Shanahan
* SayCheeze <[hidden email]> [05-25-17 16:52]:

> >8"x10" at 200 ppi is 1600 x 2000 pixels.
> >
> >If you can crop the image to this size and get what you want, you do
> >not
> >need additional steps.
> >
> >If you do - i.e. if a 1600x2000 crop does not match up with what you
> >want to crop out of the original image - then a scale will become
> >necessary.
> >
> >Can you provide a sample image and mark the area you want to retain
> >after the crop?
> >There is an unit drop-down list in the image window status bar - check
> >the View menu. This can also be set in GIMP's preferences.
> >Maybe to adjust the image resolution.
>

> Hello Micheal.  I'll look into GIMP later today, when I get to the studio.  So
> from what I've read, I have to convert  what I want the end result to be, i.e.
> size crop and dpi to pixels, and use that number to achieve the desired size
> crop?
>
> I can provide a sample image but of course they would all vary on the end target
> with regard to a crop.  My editing for my images are relatively minimal in
> nature.
>
> I crop 8x10
> Tweak contrast if desired
> I use the gradient tool [foreground to transparent]  in all 4 corners usually
> I sharpen them
> Save to .jpg for my lab to print proofs.
>
> Done.
>
> I guess I can make up a cheat sheet and stick it on the wall for all my usual
> crops for orders to determine pixel count.
>
> 16x20's
> 11x14's
> 8x10's
> 5x7's
> 4x5's
> etc...

or you could use ratio for crop parameters

amazing you want to use a tool but are not really interested in learning
how it work to the point of berating it comparing to an app you did bother
to learn to use.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo

Re: Help with Cropping

Rick Strong-2
You CAN work in inches and your title bar can be changed to show the
original size in inches.
No need to work in pixels.
See attached jpgs.
Of course, small photos have to be scaled up to get larger sizes. GIMP
scales up quite nicely.

Rick S.

>8"x10" at 200 ppi is 1600 x 2000 pixels.
>
>If you can crop the image to this size and get what you want, you do
>not
>need additional steps.
>
>If you do - i.e. if a 1600x2000 crop does not match up with what you
>want to crop out of the original image - then a scale will become
>necessary.
>
>Can you provide a sample image and mark the area you want to retain
>after the crop?
>There is an unit drop-down list in the image window status bar - check
>the View menu. This can also be set in GIMP's preferences.
>Maybe to adjust the image resolution.

Hello Micheal.  I'll look into GIMP later today, when I get to the studio.
So
from what I've read, I have to convert  what I want the end result to be,
i.e.
size crop and dpi to pixels, and use that number to achieve the desired size
crop?

I can provide a sample image but of course they would all vary on the end
target
with regard to a crop.  My editing for my images are relatively minimal in
nature.

I crop 8x10
Tweak contrast if desired
I use the gradient tool [foreground to transparent]  in all 4 corners
usually
I sharpen them
Save to .jpg for my lab to print proofs.

Done.

I guess I can make up a cheat sheet and stick it on the wall for all my
usual
crops for orders to determine pixel count.

16x20's
11x14's
8x10's
5x7's
4x5's
etc...

--
SayCheeze (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Help with Cropping

>* SayCheeze <[hidden email]> [05-25-17 16:52]:
>or you could use ratio for crop parameters
>
>amazing you want to use a tool but are not really interested in
>learning
>how it work to the point of berating it comparing to an app you did
>bother
>to learn to use.

Berating?  No where close.

This program just isn't that user intuitive.  Maybe because all I've ever used
is PS for editing.

Since my edits are very minimal, it's driving me up the wall in trying to figure
out how to get a standard crop size with a specific dpi.

I'll get it sooner or later.  PS is the only thing keeping me in a windows
environment, or should I say editing my work is keeping me in that windows
world.  I run linux at home on my laptop, but at the studio, it's still a
windows world because of my editing.

--
SayCheeze (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Help with Cropping

Pat David
Are you certain you need a _specific_ dpi? Or is something _close_ ok? If
so, I'd honestly just constrain the select tool to a ratio for your
intended image size (8:10, 24:16, etc) and crop to suit tastes.
On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 7:30 PM SayCheeze <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >* SayCheeze <[hidden email]> [05-25-17 16:52]:
> >or you could use ratio for crop parameters
> >
> >amazing you want to use a tool but are not really interested in
> >learning
> >how it work to the point of berating it comparing to an app you did
> >bother
> >to learn to use.
>
> Berating?  No where close.
>
> This program just isn't that user intuitive.  Maybe because all I've ever
> used
> is PS for editing.
>
> Since my edits are very minimal, it's driving me up the wall in trying to
> figure
> out how to get a standard crop size with a specific dpi.
>
> I'll get it sooner or later.  PS is the only thing keeping me in a windows
> environment, or should I say editing my work is keeping me in that windows
> world.  I run linux at home on my laptop, but at the studio, it's still a
> windows world because of my editing.
>
> --
> SayCheeze (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC

Help with Cropping

rich2005
>Are you certain you need a _specific_ dpi? Or is something _close_ ok?
>If
>so, I'd honestly just constrain the select tool to a ratio for your
>intended image size (8:10, 24:16, etc) and crop to suit tastes.

Hello Pat.  My lab likes the images cropped at 200 dpi.  when I'm working on
catalog work, they want 11x14@300 dpi.

My day to day work for prints for homes is 200 dpi.

--
SayCheeze (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Help with Cropping

Kevin Cozens-2
On 2017-05-25 08:28 PM, SayCheeze wrote:
> Since my edits are very minimal, it's driving me up the wall in trying
> to figure out how to get a standard crop size with a specific dpi.

Earlier messages referenced a Canon digital camera, IIRC. I also saw a
reference to the images showing up as very small when the pictures were
loaded in to GIMP. That tells me that the camera images you are trying to
load are in RAW format but you don't have a plug-in in GIMP that will let it
read files in that format.

What you are seeing are the thumbnails of the RAW files. You need to install
a plug-in for GIMP to let it read RAW files. You can install either dcraw or
ufraw plug-in to let GIMP read the files. If you can't find either of those
plug-ins you will need to convert the files in to a format that GIMP can
read before you try loading them in GIMP.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick
12