Help file for Gimp 2.10?

rich404
Is there a help file for Gimp 2.10? I notice that on the download page for 2.10
at gimp.org (https://www.gimp.org/downloads/), the help files available there
are still those for Gimp 2.8.

--
NickP (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Help file for Gimp 2.10?

Alexandre Prokoudine
On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 9:08 AM, NickP wrote:
> Is there a help file for Gimp 2.10?

Not yet.

Help file for Gimp 2.10?

rich404
>Not yet.
>
>Alex

I am very aware that GIMP is not at all comercial software and that it's done
and maintained mainly by volounteers, so sorry for asking that directly, but
why, four months later, that "Not yet" is currently still true (no offline help
file for Gimp 2.10), whereas 2.10 online complete help files are indeed
available (in english as well as in 16 other languages) at
https://www.gimp.org/docs/ ?

Although I don't know when those files were first made publicly available, IMHO
compiling those already existing HTML files into a unique setup file to get a
local 2.10 offline help, shouldn't take that long and shouldn't require much
effort; AMOF that was already done with 2.8 locally installed help.

Am I wrong or am I missing anything ?

Thanks,

David

--
david_f (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Help file for Gimp 2.10?

Users mailing list
On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 4:09 PM david_f <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >Not yet.
> >
> >Alex
>
> I am very aware that GIMP is not at all comercial software and that it's
> done
> and maintained mainly by volounteers, so sorry for asking that directly,
> but
> why, four months later, that "Not yet" is currently still true (no offline
> help
> file for Gimp 2.10), whereas 2.10 online complete help files are indeed
> available (in english as well as in 16 other languages) at
> https://www.gimp.org/docs/ ?

1. It's not complete. For instance, there is no documentation on all the
new blending modes yet. Just a few days ago I had to point someone to
commit logs adding Merge and Split blending modes to the code, where some
information on their use was provided. The reason for this is because
roughly 90% of all work on documentation is done by a single person for
whom English isn't even the native language.

2. Mentioning 16 other languages is kinda unfair -- not all translations
are being currently maintained. I've only seen translations into 4
languages updated over the last month.

This is a community effort. The community gets exactly as much as it
contributes. We are all in the same boat: you, me, everyone. We can carry
on pointing fingers or get cracking instead :)