Help cannot paint on layer groups

rich404
Hello
Im having some trouble drawing on a new layer in gimp 2.10
so i can use the pencil or brush tool when i make a new project but if i add a
new layer on to it , i cant draw on that layer and  a  message comes up that
says cannot paint on layer group. i uninstalled and still having the problem
please can some one help me figure this out.

--
Cramos2888 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Help cannot paint on layer groups

Liam R E Quin
On Mon, 2019-06-24 at 09:04 +0200, Cramos2888 wrote:
> Hello
> Im having some trouble drawing on a new layer in gimp 2.10
> so i can use the pencil or brush tool when i make a new project but
> if i add a
> new layer on to it , i cant draw on that layer and  a  message comes
> up that
> says cannot paint on layer group. i uninstalled and still having the
> problem
> please can some one help me figure this out.

A layer group is a container, a box to put layers in.

If you make a new layer group, you should then click on the name of the
layer you want to draw on, in the layers dialogue. You can't draw on
the layer group itself.

If you are just trying to add a new layer, the leftmost button at the
bottom of the layers dialogue (in English; right-most in Hebrew or
Arabic) will make a new layer, and the button next to it makes a new
layer-group container.

Hops this helps.

Liam (slave ankh)

Click here to have the slave beaten.

Help cannot paint on layer groups

>Hello
>Im having some trouble drawing on a new layer in gimp 2.10
>so i can use the pencil or brush tool when i make a new project but if
>i add a new layer on to it , i cant draw on that layer and  a  message
>comes up that says cannot paint on layer group. i uninstalled and
>still having the problem please can some one help me figure this out.

You can not paint directly on a layer group. It is a container for regular
layers.

A run down of options / what to look for

You make a new image and get a background (just another) layer (3). It can be
colour / transparent / pattern. Usually the default is Background color. You can
paint on this but best to use layers. If you make a mistake, easier to delete a
layer.

The Layers menu contains entries for New Layer and New Layer Group. Also icons
bottom of the Layers dialogue, New Layer (1) New Layer Group (2)

Add a new layer, usually the default is transparent and the layer size the same
as the canvas. You can paint on that. (4)

Text also creates its own layer. Identified by the large T icon (5)

A layer group (6) can contain one or more layers. It can also contain another
layer group if you want the  added complication. The layer group icon will show
a thumbnail of the layer group contents. If the included layers are smaller than
the canvas, the group boundary shows as a dotted line.

An empty layer group (7) will just show the folder icon. Add layers and paint or
drag existing layers into it.

A layer group can be collapsed - the little arrow on the left of the icon - to
keep the clutter down.

Top of the gimp window shows the number of layers. This does include a layer
group(s) counted as one + all the layers and background layer.

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1197/original/layers.jpg