HUGE quality drop when saving to .png and hosting on web

HUGE quality drop when saving to .png and hosting on web

Misslo777
Hey all. I've designed a graphic I wanted to use in a forum post and am
experiencing a huge dip in clarity by the time I get it onto the page.

Created as .xcf, export to .png, upload using tinypic, embedded it in the forum
with bb code. It's beautiful crystal clear as an .xcf file and as saved .png but
by the time it gets online everything's blurry, so I'm assuming it's the
uploading that's causing it.

The I've used this process dozens of times and it's always given me perfectly
sharp images before. Everything's 300 dpi... no idea what's causing this.

Been a while since I used gimp so there may be something new I'm missing. If you
have any advice, I'd much appreciate the help

--
julietmolz (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: HUGE quality drop when saving to .png and hosting on web

Users mailing list
If the xcf looks good, and the png looks good, then the problem is with
something other than GIMP I think?

Maybe try a different image hosting service or check that the forum doesn’t
do something funky.
On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 1:11 PM julietmolz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey all. I've designed a graphic I wanted to use in a forum post and am
> experiencing a huge dip in clarity by the time I get it onto the page.
>
> Created as .xcf, export to .png, upload using tinypic, embedded it in the
> forum
> with bb code. It's beautiful crystal clear as an .xcf file and as saved
> .png but
> by the time it gets online everything's blurry, so I'm assuming it's the
> uploading that's causing it.
>
> The I've used this process dozens of times and it's always given me
> perfectly
> sharp images before. Everything's 300 dpi... no idea what's causing this.
>
> Been a while since I used gimp so there may be something new I'm missing.
> If you
> have any advice, I'd much appreciate the help
>
> --
> julietmolz (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC

On 11/24/18 7:39 PM, julietmolz wrote:

> Hey all. I've designed a graphic I wanted to use in a forum post and am
> experiencing a huge dip in clarity by the time I get it onto the page.
>
> Created as .xcf, export to .png, upload using tinypic, embedded it in the forum
> with bb code. It's beautiful crystal clear as an .xcf file and as saved .png but
> by the time it gets online everything's blurry, so I'm assuming it's the
> uploading that's causing it.
>
> The I've used this process dozens of times and it's always given me perfectly
> sharp images before. Everything's 300 dpi... no idea what's causing this.
>
> Been a while since I used gimp so there may be something new I'm missing. If you
> have any advice, I'd much appreciate the help

Two things to check:

1) download your image from the web site (right-click, save image...)
and compare it with the one you uploaded: same type (not a PNG turned
into a JPG...)? same file size (otherwise it has been recompressed),
same image size?

2)  check that the image in the web page is exactly the size you set in
Gimp (make a screen shot, import in Gimp, and put your original on it as
a new layer and see of they can be made to overlap exactly). If the
image is set to a different size by HTML directives, your browser will
rescale it on the fly and this may not be pretty.