Quantcast

Guide Selection Percent

rich2005
Currently in Gimp 2.8 the best offering is to create Guides from a selection or
by percent.
The Guides by percent feature allows only integers for some reason. This should
be changed. EX :Try dividing a an image up into 7 equal pieces horizontally. It
can't be done without painstakingly doing the calculations yourself (which
invalidates the whole point of the feature in the first place). Allowing
doubles/floats for percents would fix this.

A separate issue is that the window always appears as a background window. It is
never in focus. It always appears behind the current Gimp window, which is
contrary to the behavior of so many other gimp windows. Items from the filter
menu that create windows get focus, why not this?. This issue can easily be
fixed by doing a focus command after creating the window the same ways the
filters do.

--
zadkey (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Guide Selection Percent

Alexandre Prokoudine
27 марта 2017 г. 20:22 пользователь "zadkey" <[hidden email]> написал:

Currently in Gimp 2.8 the best offering is to create Guides from a
selection or
by percent.
The Guides by percent feature allows only integers for some reason. This
should
be changed. EX :Try dividing a an image up into 7 equal pieces
horizontally. It
can't be done without painstakingly

http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/advanced-ways-to-create-guides-in-gimp

Re: Guide Selection Percent

Michael Schumacher

On 03/27/2017 03:43 AM, zadkey wrote:

> The Guides by percent feature allows only integers for some reason. This should
> be changed.

That should be an easy change to the following script:
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/plug-ins/script-fu/scripts/guides-new-percent.scm

Modifying the number entry in line 37 to allow for some decimals, and
then checking if any of the calculations turn it into integers again,
and fix these if necessary.

Do you want to give it a try and get your name into the list of GIMP
contributors, or an additional commit if it is present already?

> A separate issue is that the window always appears as a background window. It is
> never in focus. It always appears behind the current Gimp window, which is
> contrary to the behavior of so many other gimp windows. Items from the filter
> menu that create windows get focus, why not this?. This issue can easily be
> fixed by doing a focus command after creating the window the same ways the
> filters do.

If you know where this command should be done - somewhere in the
script-fu plug-in, I assume - you could try to do this as well. There's
also a bug report about this behavior.

If you need assistance, join the #gimp IRC channel on irc.gimp.org

Guide Selection Percent

>27 марта 2017 г. 20:22 пользователь "zadkey" <[hidden email]>
>написал:
>
>Currently in Gimp 2.8 the best offering is to create Guides from a
>selection or
>by percent.
>The Guides by percent feature allows only integers for some reason.
>This
>should
>be changed. EX :Try dividing a an image up into 7 equal pieces
>horizontally. It
>can't be done without painstakingly
>

>http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/advanced-ways-to-create-guides-in-gimp
>
>Alex

I appreciate the info, however my purpose for doing making this post was to get
attention from GIMP developers to make suggestions for improvements to GIMP
itself.  Whether a third party tool can do what I need or not, doesn't improve
GIMP.

Actually, I am  professional developer myself. If directed to a Github page, I
have no problem implementing these changes myself and  creating a pull request .

--
zadkey (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Guide Selection Percent

>That should be an easy change to the following script:
>https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/plug-ins/script-fu/scripts/guides-new-percent.scm
>
>Modifying the number entry in line 37 to allow for some decimals, and
>then checking if any of the calculations turn it into integers again,
>and fix these if necessary.
>
>Do you want to give it a try and get your name into the list of GIMP
>contributors, or an additional commit if it is present already?
>If you know where this command should be done - somewhere in the
>script-fu plug-in, I assume - you could try to do this as well.
>There's
>also a bug report about this behavior.
>
>If you need assistance, join the #gimp IRC channel on irc.gimp.org

I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction with this script. Are gimp
developers on this IRC?
I am looking put forward improvements to GIMP for everyone, not just myself and
my copy.

On 03/27/2017 09:33 PM, zadkey wrote:
>> That should be an easy change to the following script:
>> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/plug-ins/script-fu/scripts/guides-new-percent.scm

>> If you need assistance, join the #gimp IRC channel on irc.gimp.org
>
> I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction with this script. Are gimp
> developers on this IRC?

Yes. This is actually the place where GIMP development happens.

Join, and stay - many people there never leave, even though they might
not be watching their screens all the time.

> I am looking put forward improvements to GIMP for everyone, not just myself and
> my copy.

Oh, don't worry - we wouldn't want you to keep your changes a secret :)

Actually, it would be very convenient if you could get a git clone of
GIMP from the GNOME git repository. See
https://wiki.gnome.org/Git/Developers - anonymous access for now,
frequent contributors get their own account.

Make your change and provide a patch - the usual way is to attach it to
a feature request in GNOME Bugzilla -
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/page.cgi?id=browse.html&product=GIMP - you'll
need to create an account here.

Guide Selection Percent

rich2005
>Yes. This is actually the place where GIMP development happens.
>
>Join, and stay - many people there never leave, even though they might
>not be watching their screens all the time.
>Oh, don't worry - we wouldn't want you to keep your changes a secret
>:)
>
>Actually, it would be very convenient if you could get a git clone of
>GIMP from the GNOME git repository. See
>https://wiki.gnome.org/Git/Developers - anonymous access for now,
>frequent contributors get their own account.
>
>Make your change and provide a patch - the usual way is to attach it
>a feature request in GNOME Bugzilla -
>https://bugzilla.gnome.org/page.cgi?id=browse.html&product=GIMP -
>you'll
>need to create an account here.