Graphics Muse for Windows? Creating Arrows?

Graphics Muse for Windows? Creating Arrows?

cantello768
Hi there!

I would like to use GIMP in an educational environment where I need to
emphasize parts of images with text and arrows (or other shapes but
mostly arrows).

I found no easy way to do it with GIMP (also non-techies must be able
to do it) so I was looking for scripts or plugins. The only thing I
found was graphics
muse (http://www.graphics-muse.com/gfxmuse/gfxmuse.html), which seems
to be perfect. Too bad it is not officially available for Win32 and
the only port I found
(http://wingimp.hp.infoseek.co.jp/files/plug-ins/) was an older
version which does not work with my GIMP (2.2.4 - GIMPshop).

I received the hint that I shoul try dingbat fonts with arrows, but
that is not quite the same as simply drawing an arrow, quite
counter-intuitive.

Any idea how I could achieve my goal or get graphics muse to work with
a current version of GIMP?

Any help appreciated!

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Graphics Muse for Windows? Creating Arrows?

Emmanuel Billeaud
>Hi there!
>
>I would like to use GIMP in an educational environment where I need to
>emphasize parts of images with text and arrows (or other shapes but
>mostly arrows).
>
>I found no easy way to do it with GIMP

        I think it would be easier to do this with openoffice.
        last ( instable) build ( beta 1.9 ) have got many custom shapes, and a lot of them are "arrows shapes".
        Very easy and intuitive to use.

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Graphics Muse for Windows? Creating Arrows?

Neil Turner
I agree that you could use Open Office for this but there are alternatives.

There is a nice open source diagramming package called "Dia". You can
open graphic (eg jpeg,png,bmp,svg) with Dia and then add a variety of
lines, arrows, shapes etc.

The windows version is downloadable at:-
.http://dia-installer.sourceforge.net/

Neil

Emmanuel Billeaud wrote:

> >Hi there!
> >
> >I would like to use GIMP in an educational environment where I need to
> >emphasize parts of images with text and arrows (or other shapes but
> >mostly arrows).
> >
> >I found no easy way to do it with GIMP
>
>       I think it would be easier to do this with openoffice.
>       last ( instable) build ( beta 1.9 ) have got many custom shapes,
> and a lot of them are "arrows shapes".
>       Very easy and intuitive to use.

> to <mailto:[hidden email]>

>     * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
>       Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Graphics Muse for Windows? Creating Arrows?

cantello768
--- In [hidden email], Emmanuel Billeaud wrote:

[creating arrows with GIMP]

> I think it would be easier to do this with openoffice.
> last ( instable) build ( beta 1.9 ) have got many custom shapes,
and a lot of them are "arrows shapes".
> Very easy and intuitive to use.

Okay, that's what I feared... :-/
Didn't want to use that many different applications.

Thanks for your input!

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Graphics Muse for Windows? Creating Arrows?

Neil Turner
A couple of us answered this query and suggested that it would be
better to annotate images using other packages eg Open Office or tools
such as Dia.

The questioner realy wanted to find a plugin so that this work could
all be done within Gimp.

Perhaps we should also have mentioned the  Gfig plugin that allows a
variety of lines and other shapes to be drawn on the image from within
Gimp?

I believe that you can draw straight curved or bezier lines uding any
available Gimp paintbrush.

Neil

--- In [hidden email], "cantello768" <cantello768@y...>