Gimp no longer works !

Olivier Lecarme
I'm using Gimp 2.2 on a Debian Sid platform. Recently I struggled a lot
in order to make a Wacom Intuos 3 tablet to work. Now at last this seems
OK, but the Gimp, which was my true reason for getting the tablet, no
longer works!

What occurs is the following:

- my PS/2 mouse, the tablet mouse, the stylus, and the eraser, all these
  tools can be used as customary, except in the image window

- in the image, all Gimp tools, used with any device tool, do nothing at
  all, or rather nothing visible, even the selections

- if I click in the one of the scales, the current Gimp tool
  automagically becomes the move tool, and in some cases this freezes
  the whole thing (I have to kill Gimp from a text console)

If I plug out the tablet and restart Gimp, it works again as before, but
I cannot use the tablet, which is too bad.

I checked the behavior of the device tools with other programs. Only
Gimp seems to be affected, but also only it makes a difference between
the various device tools.

By the way, what is the use of the Device Status dialog?

--

                        Olivier Lecarme

Re: Gimp no longer works !

Karine Delvare
On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 18:42:55 +0200
"Olivier Lecarme" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> By the way, what is the use of the Device Status dialog?

The Device Status dialog shows you every device that can be used as a pointer in The GIMP, along with what tool this device is using (and also : foreground and background colors, brush, pattern, and gradient), which means all these settings will change accordingly when you switch device. It also indicates which device is currently in use, as only one can be at a time.

It can be of great help when you don't understand what is happening when you pick a device (like when you wonder why a lot of things seems to change without you clicking anywhere, or when I hit a known bug where I couldn't switch back to the core pointer).

--
Karine Delvare
http://edhel.nerim.net/

Re: Gimp no longer works !

Karine Delvare
And, above all, you can save your current tool/colors/brush/... setup for all devices, so that next time you'll use The GIMP, these will be the defaults!

--
Karine Delvare
http://edhel.nerim.net/

RE: Gimp no longer works !

Pierre-Alexis
I have had the same problem when I installed my
Intuos3 (about 1 month ago). I simply reemerged
(recompiled and reinstalled) the Gimp and all went
fine.

Pierre-Alexis.

--- Olivier Lecarme <[hidden email]> a
?crit :