Gimp download - Problem - Q

Users mailing list
Hi Gimp users,

[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Quick Q based on a problem, which I hope will have a simple solution.

I downloaded Gimp today onto my laptop (Windows 10) and although the

process was reported as successful, no icon appeared on my desktop. I then

repeated the exercise, again successfully, with the same result.

So, I then re-started by lap top. Still no icon.

As things stand, I have Gimp loaded up but with no point of accessing it.

Anyone else come across this? If so, what was the solution?

Tx.

Rory

Re: Gimp download - Problem - Q

Rick Strong-2
Start button > All programs > Gimp 2
or Go to folder where Gimp 2.10 is located (program files?) > Gimp 210 >
Gimp 2 > bin folder >  double-click on gimp-2.10.exe or make a shortcut to
it.

Rick S.

On 10/15/18 17:30, rm k via gimp-user-list wrote:

> Hi Gimp users,
>

> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
>

> Quick Q based on a problem, which I hope will have a simple solution.
>

> I downloaded Gimp today onto my laptop (Windows 10) and although the
>
> process was reported as successful, no icon appeared on my desktop. I then
>
> repeated the exercise, again successfully, with the same result.
>
> So, I then re-started by lap top. Still no icon.
>

> As things stand, I have Gimp loaded up but with no point of accessing it.
>

> Anyone else come across this? If so, what was the solution?
>

> Tx.

What you download is an installer, so you have to execute it (find it in
your download folder and double-click it) to install Gimp. Then you will
have an icon in your desktop (or in the estart menu).

Re: Gimp download - Problem - Q

Jernej =?utf-7?Q?Simon+AQ0-i+AQ0-?=
On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 15:30:28 +-0000, rm k via gimp-user-list wrote:

> I downloaded Gimp today onto my laptop (Windows 10) and although the
> process was reported as successful, no icon appeared on my desktop.

According to Microsoft's guidelines, Desktop is user's area, so installers
should not touch it without users' explicit permission. If you want an icon
on the desktop, you have to click Customize in the installer, and enable
the option, otherwise the icon is only created in the Start Menu.

--
< Jernej Simon+AQ0-i+AQ0- ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

Re: Gimp download - Problem - Q

Mark Morin-2
If you are using Window's 10 antivirus system and controlled folder
access is turned on, any attempts to write to the desktop will be
blocked unless an exception is created through the operating system.