Gimp does not open images - unknown file message

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Gimp does not open images - unknown file message

barbsdesk
Just downloaded GIMP 2.8.20 to a Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. I can not open any
images. I get the message: "Unknown file type". I have uninstalled and
reinstalled the program several times. Does anyone know how to fix this?

--
Minikin (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Gimp does not open images - unknown file message

Shlomi Fish
Hi Minkin,

On Wed, 01 Mar 2017 17:41:20 +0100
Minikin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just downloaded GIMP 2.8.20 to a Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6. I can not open
> any images. I get the message: "Unknown file type". I have uninstalled and
> reinstalled the program several times. Does anyone know how to fix this?
>

here on mageia linux v6 I am able to open this image perfectly fine -
http://www.shlomifish.org/Files/files/images/bin-puzzle-2016-05-04.png . Can
you try:

1. Opening that particular image.

2. Sending us an image that you are unable to open.

regards,

        Shlomi
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Gimp does not open images - unknown file message

barbsdesk
>Hi Minkin,
>
>On Wed, 01 Mar 2017 17:41:20 +0100
>Minikin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>here on mageia linux v6 I am able to open this image perfectly fine -
>http://www.shlomifish.org/Files/files/images/bin-puzzle-2016-05-04.png
>. Can
>you try:
>
>1. Opening that particular image.
>
>2. Sending us an image that you are unable to open.
>
>regards,
>
> Shlomi


Hi Shlomi.

1. No Gimp does not want to open the image you linked to (see image attached). I
even have to chose "All files" when I want to open an image because Gimp does
not even find images.

2. I will attach an example of an image I want to open.

I uninstalled and installed Gimp again. Same problem.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/496/original/IMG_1081.JPG
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/497/original/pscreen.png

--
Minikin (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Gimp does not open images - unknown file message

Shlomi Fish
Hi Minikin,

On Sat, 04 Mar 2017 16:28:36 +0100
Minikin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >Hi Minkin,
> >
> >On Wed, 01 Mar 2017 17:41:20 +0100
> >Minikin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >here on mageia linux v6 I am able to open this image perfectly fine -
> >http://www.shlomifish.org/Files/files/images/bin-puzzle-2016-05-04.png
> >. Can
> >you try:
> >
> >1. Opening that particular image.
> >
> >2. Sending us an image that you are unable to open.
> >
> >regards,
> >
> > Shlomi  
>
>
> Hi Shlomi.
>
> 1. No Gimp does not want to open the image you linked to (see image
> attached). I even have to chose "All files" when I want to open an image
> because Gimp does not even find images.

I see.

>
> 2. I will attach an example of an image I want to open.
>
> I uninstalled and installed Gimp again. Same problem.
>
> Attachments:
> * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/496/original/IMG_1081.JPG
> * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/497/original/pscreen.png
>

GIMP here opens that greyscale JPEG photo of a dog fine. It's possible you have
some problems with plug-ins. If you're not afraid of using the command line /
console / terminal / etc. you can try using dtruss (see
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=strace+os+x&ia=web ) or similar to see what is going
wrong (or at least compress the dump and send it to us for analysis).

Regards,

-- Shlomi



_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Gimp does not open images - unknown file message

barbsdesk
>Hi Minikin,
>
>On Sat, 04 Mar 2017 16:28:36 +0100
>Minikin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>I see.
>GIMP here opens that greyscale JPEG photo of a dog fine. It's possible
>you have
>some problems with plug-ins. If you're not afraid of using the command
>line /
>console / terminal / etc. you can try using dtruss (see
>https://duckduckgo.com/?q=strace+os+x&ia=web ) or similar to see what
>is going
>wrong (or at least compress the dump and send it to us for analysis).
>
>Regards,
>
>-- Shlomi

Thank you for helping. I  know the terminal but I never use it. It would help if
you could provide me with a command for me to enter in the terminal and I will
send the results to you. Again, thank you for taking time.


--
Minikin (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Loading...