Gimp crashes on startup

rich2005
Hello,

I am using Gimp on my Windows 10 laptop. Yesterday, when I started Gimp, after
an unusually long waiting time, I got a Windows Error dialog:

Runtime Error! C:\(...)gimp-2.8.exe. This application has requested the Runtime
to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team
for more information.

Then Windows tells me he most close Gimp.

In the Windows Event list, I find this (sorry, I am using a French version of
WIndows):

Nom de l’application défaillante gimp-2.8.exe, version : 2.8.22.0, horodatage :
0x00c9b800
Nom du module défaillant : libcairo-2.dll, version : 0.0.0.0, horodatage :
0x654702b7
Code d’exception : 0x40000015
Décalage d’erreur : 0x00000000000acd52
ID du processus défaillant : 0x3d60
Heure de début de l’application défaillante : 0x01d2d560fa2a4fa1
Chemin d’accès de l’application défaillante : C:\Program Files\GIMP
2\bin\gimp-2.8.exe
Chemin d’accès du module défaillant: C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\libcairo-2.dll
ID de rapport : 8c484136-5ca3-4047-8cc6-4dc1d3e68c22
Nom complet du package défaillant :
ID de l’application relative au package défaillant :

My first idea was to uninstall and reinstall Gimp. Same result. Then I
uninstalled Gimp again and tried to reinstall older versions: 2.8.20, 2.8.18 and
2.8.16 gave the same crash.

I did a little research on the Internet and I found something about conflicting
installations and libintl-8.dll. So I searched for all occurrences of
libintl-8.dll and of and renamed the app folders of all except Gimp (avidemux,
Clementine, GtkSharp, KDiff, LG Electronics, Poedit, Virtaal, Raw Therapee,
Shotcut), but I still get the same crash. Now I realize that under Windows 10,
this proves nothing, I can still run those applications even with renamed
folders.

Of course, I could completely uninstall all those apps, but if there is a
simpler and less radical way to solve my issue, I'd rather use it first!

Does any one have a suggestion how I could make Gimp work again?

--
davitof (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Gimp crashes on startup

rich2005
Missing points in my first post:

Windows 10 Family 64 bits
Asus UX303UA
Intel Core i5-6200U
8 GB RAM

I checked with official Gimp versions 2.8.16, 2.8.18, 2.8.20, 2.8.22.

Gimp worked flawlessly until 2.8.20. I installed 2.8.22 on May 18, did
successfully a first load without any image then I decided that I wanted to
change the theme so I downloaded a package of themes and tried the different
themes until I decided which one I preferred. Of course this meant closing and
opening Gimp many times and I never experienced any issue.

AFAICT, I last used Gimp successfully for image editing on may 15.

According to the Windows applications dialog, none of the applications above had
any upgrade since last time I used Gimp successfully (May 18).

According to Windows Update, there were Windows updates installed on May 16, 23
and 24.

--
davitof (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Gimp crashes on startup

rich2005
Me again :-)

I am testing GimpPortable_2.8.20.paf.exe. This loads correctly but I realized
there was a phase in the loading I hadn't been seeing since Gimp started
crashing: something about new plugins. So I am going to check if there is an
option to load Gimp without plugins... I couldn't find one, but I checked this:
"C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.8.exe --no-fonts --no-shm --no-cpu-accel"
same results but I got the crash faster.

I also tried renaming the plug-ins folder in .gimp2.8 but this didn't change
anything.

One last thing: Partha's installers load without crashing, but I can't use them
because I don't see any readable character, only small rectangles in place of
letters. This is a distinct issue, but this shows once again that different
installers from the standard gimp installer seem to work.

OK, so now I have a fallback solution: use Gimp Portable. But I still don't know
what the original problem was, and I'd rather use a standard installation.

--
davitof (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Gimp crashes on startup

rich2005
Now even Gimp Portable crashes. Same error in Windows Events except of course
the path is now to my portable installation. I tried erasing the portable
installation folder and reinstalling it, but same result.

On a hunch, I also tried changing the Windows compatibility mode. Setting it to
Windows 8 or 7 definitely changed something; I now reach Gimp's main screen
(while the crash happened at the end of the splash screen until now), but in the
main window I immediately get the crash dialog. I finally managed to make Gimp
load using Vista SP1 compatibility.  But even then things are far from perfect:
I can save in xcf format, but file-jpeg.exe crashes when exporting.

This is getting very frustrating.

--
davitof (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Gimp crashes on startup

Partha Bagchi-2
On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 5:16 PM, davitof <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Me again :-)
>

> One last thing: Partha's installers load without crashing, but I can't use
> them
> because I don't see any readable character, only small rectangles in place
> of
> letters. This is a distinct issue, but this shows once again that different
> installers from the standard gimp installer seem to work.
>
> OK, so now I have a fallback solution: use Gimp Portable. But I still
> don't know
> what the original problem was, and I'd rather use a standard installation.

My builds provide a logfile when they run. Can you send that to me?

The logfile is located in your $TEMP folder and is called
__gimpun-2.8-run.log (or similar). Your $TEMP folder is usually
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Temp

You can contacted me at the email address on my website.

Thanks,
Partha

Gimp crashes on startup

New episode (will I have still newer ideas to test?):

I created a new Windows user and I installed Gimp 2.8.22. This worked perfectly.

So now, how can I repair my usual user? Is there any way to find what is wrong?

Of course, I can always jump to my new user each time I want to use Gimp, but
this is going to be very annoying.

--
davitof (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Gimp crashes on startup

Michael Schumacher
Am 27.05.2017 um 23:10 schrieb davitof:

> New episode (will I have still newer ideas to test?):
>
> I created a new Windows user and I installed Gimp 2.8.22. This worked perfectly.
>
> So now, how can I repair my usual user? Is there any way to find what is wrong?

You could compare their .gimp-2.8 profile directories and find the
differences. This directory is located in your Windows user profile
directory.

*Do not delete anything* too quickly - this will destroy all evidence
which can help to investigate the problem.

If at all, rename the .gimp-2.8 directory of the previous user account,
GIMP will then create a new profile directory on the next launch.

Gimp crashes on startup

>My builds provide a logfile when they run. Can you send that to me?
>
>The logfile is located in your $TEMP folder and is called
>__gimpun-2.8-run.log (or similar). Your $TEMP folder is usually
>C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Temp
>
>You can contacted me at the email address on my website.
>
>Thanks,
>Partha

Thanks for your answer, Partha. I forgot to mention in my previous post that
your builds (at least the first one I tried, 2.9.5-std with full installer)
works perfectly in my new user. So it seems there is nothing wrong in your
build.

But if you are nonetheless interested in the log, I am sending it to you now. I
took a look at it, obviously there is something wrong with the fonts. Also, I
noticed references to a Z: drive, but I don't have any Z: drive.

--
davitof (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Gimp crashes on startup

>Am 27.05.2017 um 23:10 schrieb davitof:
>You could compare their .gimp-2.8 profile directories and find the
>differences. This directory is located in your Windows user profile
>directory.
>
>*Do not delete anything* too quickly - this will destroy all evidence
>which can help to investigate the problem.
>
>If at all, rename the .gimp-2.8 directory of the previous user
>account,
>GIMP will then create a new profile directory on the next launch.

Last episode: Gimp is now working perfectly in all users. I loaded it and closed
several times, I edited a few images, without any issue.

What did I do? I rebooted my system (because of wifi problems). So I suggest
this was really a Windows-Update-has-not-finished-but-did-not-say-so problem.

Now if you want me to do some tests, please ask. But from my point of view, this
matter is closed.

--
davitof (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)