Gimp Business Cards?

forrestgimp2004
I would like to hand out a small test run of
simple business cards (black writing on white card)
and be able to say the card was made stricly by
the Gimp and nothing else (i.e. Gimp not in combination
with some other program). Can it be done and if so
how can I quickly get up to speed on the knowledge
I need to do it?

to <mailto:[hidden email]>
Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Gimp Business Cards?

Scott-2-2
forrestgimp2004 wrote:

> I would like to hand out a small test run of
> simple business cards (black writing on white card)
> and be able to say the card was made stricly by
> the Gimp and nothing else (i.e. Gimp not in combination
> with some other program). Can it be done and if so
> how can I quickly get up to speed on the knowledge
> I need to do it?

    Not too long ago I asked about designing business cards on this list
and was directed to another program, but I also would prefer just to use
the Gimp as I know the Gimp better (even though I am still a newbie) and
don't wish learning another graphical program.

--
Your Friend,
Scott

http://www.bmts.com/~anydelivery

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Gimp Business Cards?

Michael Schumacher
Von: Scott <[hidden email]>:

> forrestgimp2004 wrote:
>
> > I would like to hand out a small test run of
> > simple business cards (black writing on white card)
> > and be able to say the card was made stricly by
> > the Gimp and nothing else (i.e. Gimp not in combination
> > with some other program). Can it be done and if so
> > how can I quickly get up to speed on the knowledge
> > I need to do it?
>
> Not too long ago I asked about designing business cards on this list
> and was directed to another program, but I also would prefer just to use
> the Gimp as I know the Gimp better (even though I am still a newbie) and
> don't wish learning another graphical program.

Hm, what exactly does one need to know for making business cards? After all,
you just need a (calligraphic) pen, a ruler, some not-to-thin paper and a
sharp knife to make business cards.

So what exactly would you like to have explained?

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Gimp Business Cards?

catfish
One way that comes to mind...

I assume you have one of those perferated biz card papers so first thing you
need to figure out is to determine the borders of the cards on that paper.
The ones I got have a test sheet with black lines, if not use a sharpie to
make borders. Then scan that paper into gimp and make it the bottom layer.
Create new text layers ontop of that and place your text into each box.
Flatten and print.

If you don't have a scanner you likely need to do a lot of guess work and
test prints to get it right.

catfish wrote:

> One way that comes to mind...
>
> I assume you have one of those perferated biz card papers

I used them in the past, but this time I purchased card stock.  I was
able to purchase 100 sheets for the same price of 10 perforated sheets.
It should be easier to design and I will be able to make other material
as well.

    I was thinking about starting with a new image that was the size of
the sheet then making layers the size of the standard biz cards and
placing them over the background.  I could then add the text and
graphics as smaller layers to the biz card layer as I needed.  I don't
know if this would be the easiest way to proceed or not as I have only
been using the Gimp for a couple of months now.

--
Your Friend,
Scott
"Do to others as you would have them do onto you"
The Golden Rule

http://www.bmts.com/~anydelivery

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Gimp Business Cards?

catfish
>    I was thinking about starting with a new image that was the size of
> the sheet then making layers the size of the standard biz cards and
> placing them over the background.  I could then add the text and
> graphics as smaller layers to the biz card layer as I needed.  I don't
> know if this would be the easiest way to proceed or not as I have only
> been using the Gimp for a couple of months now.

Sound fine by me, lots of times the easiest way is whatever way works :)
You might want to make a single layer with the borders in black instead of
making correctly sized layers otherwise you may have to click back and forth
on the layers to see the layer border. You can later use the Eye icon to
hide that border layer or delete it completely.

catfish wrote:

> >    I was thinking about starting with a new image that was the size of
> > the sheet then making layers the size of the standard biz cards and
> > placing them over the background.  I could then add the text and
> > graphics as smaller layers to the biz card layer as I needed.  I don't
> > know if this would be the easiest way to proceed or not as I have only
> > been using the Gimp for a couple of months now.
>
> Sound fine by me, lots of times the easiest way is whatever way works :)
> You might want to make a single layer with the borders in black
> instead of
> making correctly sized layers otherwise you may have to click back and
> forth
> on the layers to see the layer border. You can later use the Eye icon to
> hide that border layer or delete it completely.

The border is a good idea because I am using card stock instead of the
business card sheets.  I can use the black borders to guide me when
cutting out the business cards.