Gimp 3.0 advancement

Developers mailing list
Excuse me if I ask, I don't want to be petulant, I know that release will
happen when the program is ready, but I just want to ask if the migration
of the Gimp code to Python 3 and GTK 3 is finished or there are things that
need to be completed?

Thanks
Massimo

Re: Gimp 3.0 advancement

Shlomi Fish
Hi Massimo!

On Wed, 15 Jul 2020 12:21:47 +0200
Massimo Fidanza via gimp-developer-list <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Excuse me if I ask, I don't want to be petulant, I know that release will
> happen when the program is ready, but I just want to ask if the migration
> of the Gimp code to Python 3 and GTK 3 is finished or there are things that
> need to be completed?

There may be still some rough spots, e.g: in the new meson build system (see:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/5407 ; autotools builds are
working better from my experience) or in script-fu (see:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/5402 ) and some other aspects.
Note that I may not be too major a contributor to GIMP.

I suppose we can use your help if you wish to contribute, and I maintain
https://metacpan.org/release/App-gimpgitbuild to (hopefully) facilitate
building testing and installing GIMP 2.99.x/git from source.

> Thanks
> Massimo

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/facts/Taylor-Swift/

There is no IGLU Cabal! Its members can be arranged in N! orders to form N!
different Cabals. The algorithm to find which order formulates the correct
IGLU Cabal is NP‐Complete.

Re: Gimp 3.0 advancement

On Wed, 2020-07-15 at 12:21 +0200, Massimo Fidanza via gimp-developer-
list wrote:

> of the Gimp code to Python 3 and GTK 3 is finished

There's a major question about existing plugins- obviously they won't
work, so maybe we should have a rewriting plugins wiki or something,
and try to get some of the most popular ones updated.

In 24/7 full-time voluntary servitude since 1998.

Re: Gimp 3.0 advancement

Developers mailing list
I built a docker image starting from a Ubuntu 20.04 and I have installed
all dependencies and compiled Babl, Gegl and Gimp from source, using Meson. I
have encountered the error https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/5407,
but I think that I have found a solution. If you are interested I can share
my image, but is big 3.08GB

Regards
Massimo

Il giorno mer 15 lug 2020 alle ore 17:33 Liam R E Quin <[hidden email]>
ha scritto:

> On Wed, 2020-07-15 at 12:21 +0200, Massimo Fidanza via gimp-developer-
> list wrote:
> >
> > of the Gimp code to Python 3 and GTK 3 is finished
>
> There's a major question about existing plugins- obviously they won't
> work, so maybe we should have a rewriting plugins wiki or something,
> and try to get some of the most popular ones updated.
>

> --
> Liam Quin - web slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/
>
> In 24/7 full-time voluntary servitude since 1998.

Re: Gimp 3.0 advancement

Developers mailing list
I would like to contribute to the development, but I state that I know
little of the C language, concretely in C I have exploited the code found
on the internet to make the firmware of a pair of IoT relays that use the
ESP8266. Instead I have experience with several languages including:
Python, PHP, Pascal / Delphi, Java, Javascript, C #, PL / SQL (currently my
daily bread). A few years ago I took a look at Go and now I'm interested in
Rust.
I took a look at the developer documentation
https://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Main_Page but it seems to me that many things
are out of date. Give me a hint on what to start reading.

Il giorno dom 19 lug 2020 alle ore 04:55 Massimo Fidanza <[hidden email]>
ha scritto:

> I built a docker image starting from a Ubuntu 20.04 and I have installed
> all dependencies and compiled Babl, Gegl and Gimp from source, using Meson. I
> have encountered the error
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/5407, but I think that I
> have found a solution. If you are interested I can share my image, but is
> big 3.08GB
>
> Regards
> Massimo
>
> Il giorno mer 15 lug 2020 alle ore 17:33 Liam R E Quin <[hidden email]>
> ha scritto:
>
>> On Wed, 2020-07-15 at 12:21 +0200, Massimo Fidanza via gimp-developer-
>> list wrote:
>> >
>> > of the Gimp code to Python 3 and GTK 3 is finished
>>
>> There's a major question about existing plugins- obviously they won't
>> work, so maybe we should have a rewriting plugins wiki or something,
>> and try to get some of the most popular ones updated.
>>

>> --
>> Liam Quin - web slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/
>>
>> In 24/7 full-time voluntary servitude since 1998.

Re: Gimp 3.0 advancement

Shlomi Fish
Hi Massimo,

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 03:02:40 +0200
Massimo Fidanza via gimp-developer-list <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to contribute to the development, but I state that I know
> little of the C language, concretely in C I have exploited the code found
> on the internet to make the firmware of a pair of IoT relays that use the
> ESP8266. Instead I have experience with several languages including:
> Python, PHP, Pascal / Delphi, Java, Javascript, C #, PL / SQL (currently my
> daily bread). A few years ago I took a look at Go and now I'm interested in
> Rust.
> I took a look at the developer documentation
> https://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Main_Page but it seems to me that many things
> are out of date. Give me a hint on what to start reading.

It is not surprising that the documentation has become out of date - from my
experience, even inline comments do:

* https://blog.codinghorror.com/learn-to-read-the-source-luke/

*
https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/show.cgi?id=sharp-perlcafe-trusting-the-docs

*
https://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/software-management/perfect-workplace/perfect-it-workplace.xhtml#soft-eng-methods-to-avoid

You can try learning C from these resources:

*
https://github.com/EbookFoundation/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md#c

*
https://github.com/shlomif/Freenode-programming-channel-FAQ/blob/master/FAQ_with_ToC__generated.md#i-want-to-learn-programming-which-language-should-i-start-with

It shouldn't be too much of a problem for you given your experience.

> Il giorno dom 19 lug 2020 alle ore 04:55 Massimo Fidanza <[hidden email]>
> ha scritto:
>
> > I built a docker image starting from a Ubuntu 20.04 and I have installed
> > all dependencies and compiled Babl, Gegl and Gimp from source, using Meson.
> > I have encountered the error
> > https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/5407, but I think that I
> > have found a solution. If you are interested I can share my image, but is
> > big 3.08GB
> >
> > Regards
> > Massimo
> >
> > Il giorno mer 15 lug 2020 alle ore 17:33 Liam R E Quin <[hidden email]>
> > ha scritto:

> >> There's a major question about existing plugins- obviously they won't
> >> work, so maybe we should have a rewriting plugins wiki or something,
> >> and try to get some of the most popular ones updated.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Liam Quin - web slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/
> >>
> >> In 24/7 full-time voluntary servitude since 1998.

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
Parody of "The Fountainhead" - https://shlom.in/towtf

It does not mean what I think it means, but it means what *you* think it
means.
    — https://www.shlomifish.org/humour.html