Gimp 2.10 very slow

12

Gimp 2.10 very slow

DaveMac01
Hi,
I have recently upgraded gimp from 2.8.22 to 2.10 and the program runs very slow
compared to my previous instalation. I uninstalled everything ( i even deleted
all folders including the ones on appdata, etc), but the problem still persists.
I tried reseting the settings but nothing. Lets say i open gimp and import an
image to it, then if for example i go to Colors->Levels it needs some seconds to
open. On 2.8.22 it opens instant. The Gimp runs on windows 10
on Intel Core i7 6700, 16 GB Ram with NVidia 1060 - 6GB VRam.
I dont know what is the issue but i immediatly downgrade to 2.8.22 which runs
flawlessly on my computer.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/889/original/1.jpg

--
labaxp (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Gimp 2.10 very slow

DaveMac01
Having the same problem here on Ubuntu 18.04.

Opening preferences takes 20 seconds and when we changed some color ICC
settings it takes 2 minutes before I can go on.

>Hi,
>I have recently upgraded gimp from 2.8.22 to 2.10 and the program runs
>very slow compared to my previous instalation. I uninstalled
>everything ( i even deleted all folders including the ones on appdata,
>etc), but the problem still persists. I tried reseting the settings
>but nothing. Lets say i open gimp and import an image to it, then if
>for example i go to Colors->Levels it needs some seconds to open. On
>2.8.22 it opens instant. The Gimp runs on windows 10
>on Intel Core i7 6700, 16 GB Ram with NVidia 1060 - 6GB VRam.
>I dont know what is the issue but i immediatly downgrade to 2.8.22
>which runs flawlessly on my computer.

--
kmg545 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Gimp 2.10 very slow

Victor Sterpu
I have the same problem with Gimp 2.10.
Previous version was much faster.
I work on a Win 10, CPU I7-7700K.

On 07.05.2018 13:41, kmg545 wrote:

> Having the same problem here on Ubuntu 18.04.
>
> Opening preferences takes 20 seconds and when we changed some color ICC
> settings it takes 2 minutes before I can go on.

>> Hi,
>> I have recently upgraded gimp from 2.8.22 to 2.10 and the program runs
>> very slow compared to my previous instalation. I uninstalled
>> everything ( i even deleted all folders including the ones on appdata,
>> etc), but the problem still persists. I tried reseting the settings
>> but nothing. Lets say i open gimp and import an image to it, then if
>> for example i go to Colors->Levels it needs some seconds to open. On
>> 2.8.22 it opens instant. The Gimp runs on windows 10
>> on Intel Core i7 6700, 16 GB Ram with NVidia 1060 - 6GB VRam.
>> I dont know what is the issue but i immediatly downgrade to 2.8.22
>> which runs flawlessly on my computer.

Gimp 2.10 very slow

DaveMac01
>I have the same problem with Gimp 2.10.
>Previous version was much faster.
>I work on a Win 10, CPU I7-7700K.

Anyone knows how to fix this?
Cause its suppose to support multi core CPU and hardware acceleration but its
slower than ever. Maybe all these are just a gimmick cause i dont see any
benefit from all the above.

--
labaxp (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Gimp 2.10 very slow

Shlomi Fish

On Mon, 07 May 2018 12:41:57 +0200
kmg545 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Having the same problem here on Ubuntu 18.04.
>
> Opening preferences takes 20 seconds and when we changed some color ICC
> settings it takes 2 minutes before I can go on.

just for the record, it is not so bad here on my mageia v7 x86-64 system:
preferences open in about 3 seconds the first time while my machine is loaded
with cpu intensive processes, and gimp seems responsive.

I can try that in an ubuntu 18.04 VM later. In the meanwhile you can try
profiling gimp using https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strace and other tools or
try running it in a new user.

Re: Gimp 2.10 very slow

Victor Sterpu
It's not so bad but the performace is much lower that the previous version.

On 09.05.2018 11:06, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 07 May 2018 12:41:57 +0200
> kmg545 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Having the same problem here on Ubuntu 18.04.
>>
>> Opening preferences takes 20 seconds and when we changed some color ICC
>> settings it takes 2 minutes before I can go on.
>>

> just for the record, it is not so bad here on my mageia v7 x86-64 system:
> preferences open in about 3 seconds the first time while my machine is loaded
> with cpu intensive processes, and gimp seems responsive.
>
> I can try that in an ubuntu 18.04 VM later. In the meanwhile you can try
> profiling gimp using https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strace and other tools or
> try running it in a new user.

Re: Gimp 2.10 very slow

Shlomi Fish

On Wed, 9 May 2018 11:06:55 +0300
Shlomi Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 07 May 2018 12:41:57 +0200
> kmg545 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Having the same problem here on Ubuntu 18.04.
> >
> > Opening preferences takes 20 seconds and when we changed some color ICC
> > settings it takes 2 minutes before I can go on.
> >

> just for the record, it is not so bad here on my mageia v7 x86-64 system:
> preferences open in about 3 seconds the first time while my machine is loaded
> with cpu intensive processes, and gimp seems responsive.
>
> I can try that in an ubuntu 18.04 VM later. In the meanwhile you can try
> profiling gimp using https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strace and other tools or
> try running it in a new user.

tried it in an 18.04 vm with gimp from this ppa -
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2018/04/how-to-install-gimp-2-10-in-ubuntu-18-04-17-10-via-ppa/

- it runs quickly and wo any major problem.

Gimp 2.10 very slow

DaveMac01
I just installed on my netbook with Ubuntu 18.04 and it runs smooth, so the slow
performance seems to machine related.

>Hi,
>
>On Wed, 9 May 2018 11:06:55 +0300
>Shlomi Fish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>tried it in an 18.04 vm with gimp from this ppa -
>http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2018/04/how-to-install-gimp-2-10-in-ubuntu-18-04-17-10-via-ppa/
>
>- it runs quickly and wo any major problem.

--
kmg545 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Gimp 2.10 very slow

DaveMac01
>I just installed on my netbook with Ubuntu 18.04 and it runs smooth,
>so the slow performance seems to machine related.

Propably its windows related, i tried Gimp on 5 different machines and each one
of them is slow.
Also i have noticed in many users who use Gimp 2.10 on youtube (they post
tutorials), theirs are also slow.

--
labaxp (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Gimp 2.10 very slow

JusTiCe8
Hi,

using the 2.10 RC2 on my Asus ROG 750 T4024JH on Win7, I have noticed
Gimp is completely frozen for a few seconds when using selection related
tools.

Example: select an area, use bucket tool with "fill whole selection"
mode, Gimp will not responds for seconds before actually filling the
selected area.
With a quite fair sized canvas, like 2048x2048 or even less.

+ (too) many other issues I never seen before with any release.

Le 11/05/2018 à 22:02, labaxp a écrit :
>> I just installed on my netbook with Ubuntu 18.04 and it runs smooth,
>> so the slow performance seems to machine related.
>
> Propably its windows related, i tried Gimp on 5 different machines and each one
> of them is slow.
> Also i have noticed in many users who use Gimp 2.10 on youtube (they post
> tutorials), theirs are also slow.

---

Gimp 2.10 very slow

DaveMac01
Slow I think is too generous. I would say 486 about describes the performance.
Win 10 64. TR 1950x, 32 GB RAM, 2 R7 370's.

We're talking a minute waiting for export dialogs to finally become visible, and
when they do a majority of the time they aren't on the foreground. You have to
go hunting.

I had 2.8 on my previous build, no problems whatsoever. My previous build was a
FX8350 with 24GB of RAM. Same video.

2.8 = Lamborghini Aventador SV

2.10 = Ford Pinto

That's with 8 GB more RAM, 8 more cores, and 16 additional threads.  And a whole
bunch of additional PCIe lanes. Source material on nvm's vs platters. I surely
wasn't expecting this slow.  I am going to reinstall 2.8 now.

At this point I am just basically saying me too. Not expecting assistance on a
work around, I'll try the next version when it comes out.

Also 2.10 is a RAM pig.

--
wireless112 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Gimp 2.10 very slow

Rick Strong-2
Not to dismiss your experience, mine is different:

GIMP 2.10.0 opens in about 7~8 seconds (first opening of the day; subsequent
openings are faster).
The "Export As" dialogue opens in 4 sec. Ram usage is about 2.07 GB, 26%.
WIN 7 64 Pro, SP 1, 8GB RAM

My initial install experience with 2.10.0 was bad. It opened *very* slowly
and then wouldn't open at all.
- I uninstalled 2.10.0.
- I uninstalled 2.8.16 (which supposedly had been uninstalled or
overwritten).
- I installed 2.10 to **a brand new folder.**
- It runs like a charm (so far).

Might be worth a try.

Rick S.

Re: Gimp 2.10 very slow

Rick Strong-2
An interesting variable:
- My first download was from the GIMP direct download site.
- My second download of 2.10.0 was from a mirror site.
Who knows? I think cleaning out remnants of 2.8 16 and putting 2.10.0 in a
new folder did the trick.

Rick S.

Re: Gimp 2.10 very slow

Patrick Shanahan-3
* Rick Strong <[hidden email]> [05-13-18 15:01]:

> Not to dismiss your experience, mine is different:
>
> GIMP 2.10.0 opens in about 7~8 seconds (first opening of the day; subsequent
> openings are faster).
> The "Export As" dialogue opens in 4 sec. Ram usage is about 2.07 GB, 26%.
> WIN 7 64 Pro, SP 1, 8GB RAM
>
> My initial install experience with 2.10.0 was bad. It opened *very* slowly
> and then wouldn't open at all.
> - I uninstalled 2.10.0.
> - I uninstalled 2.8.16 (which supposedly had been uninstalled or
> overwritten).
> - I installed 2.10 to **a brand new folder.**
> - It runs like a charm (so far).
>
> Might be worth a try.
>
> Rick S.
>
> -----Original Message----- From: wireless112
> Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2018 9:53 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Gimp-user] Gimp 2.10 very slow
>
> Slow I think is too generous. I would say 486 about describes the
> performance.
> Win 10 64. TR 1950x, 32 GB RAM, 2 R7 370's.
>
> We're talking a minute waiting for export dialogs to finally become visible,
> and
> when they do a majority of the time they aren't on the foreground. You have
> go hunting.
>
> I had 2.8 on my previous build, no problems whatsoever. My previous build
> was a
> FX8350 with 24GB of RAM. Same video.
>
> 2.8 = Lamborghini Aventador SV
>
> 2.10 = Ford Pinto
>
> That's with 8 GB more RAM, 8 more cores, and 16 additional threads.  And a
> whole
> bunch of additional PCIe lanes. Source material on nvm's vs platters. I
> surely
> wasn't expecting this slow.  I am going to reinstall 2.8 now.
>
> At this point I am just basically saying me too. Not expecting assistance on
> work around, I'll try the next version when it comes out.
>
> Also 2.10 is a RAM pig.

on my openSUSE Tumbleweed gimp 2.10 opens in < 4 seconds and uses < 80 mb
of memory w/o swap, while darktable utilizes 182 mb of memory.

Gimp 2.10 very slow

DaveMac01
>An interesting variable:
>- My first download was from the GIMP direct download site.
>- My second download of 2.10.0 was from a mirror site.
>Who knows? I think cleaning out remnants of 2.8 16 and putting 2.10.0
>in a
>new folder did the trick.
>
>Rick S.

It is propably windows related issue and maybe hardware related as well.
I have tried gimp 2.1 on another pc (it was the first time gimp was installed on
that pc) and the performance was terrible. I dont know what to say. All these
updates and improvements are worthless if its not stable. And they should remove
this release from stable releases.

--
labaxp (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Gimp 2.10 very slow

Patrick Shanahan-3
* labaxp <[hidden email]> [05-17-18 16:30]:

> >An interesting variable:
> >- My first download was from the GIMP direct download site.
> >- My second download of 2.10.0 was from a mirror site.
> >Who knows? I think cleaning out remnants of 2.8 16 and putting 2.10.0
> >in a
> >new folder did the trick.
> >
> >Rick S.

I am sure your expert evaluation of the most expensive product, gimp, will
be well received.  I am sorry your currency was ill spent.

ps: are you in any way related to Mr. Edsel who also went the way of the
dodo?

Gimp 2.10 very slow

DaveMac01
>* labaxp <[hidden email]> [05-17-18 16:30]:
>I am sure your expert evaluation of the most expensive product, gimp,
>will
>be well received.  I am sorry your currency was ill spent.
>
>ps: are you in any way related to Mr. Edsel who also went the way of
>the
>dodo?
We  are not here to discuss how much we spent for gimp.
This forum is to discuss bugs and other issues we are facing and to share
opinions and maybe ways (if someone found) to improve gimp. If noone ever
discuss the issues / bugs cause the gimp is free, then the developers wouldnt be
able to improve it.
If you think that we cant say our problems cause gimo is free, i am sorry my
friend but this forum is not for you.

--
labaxp (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Gimp 2.10 very slow

DaveMac01
I should add no one here claimed to be experts, no one claimed to have wasted
money, the car references were simply a different way to explain the performance
gap. The lambo being the fastest current production car and the pinto being one
of the slowest.

A gimp expert would dig in and fix it. A photography expert would use a paid
alternative.

an open source product can not be great without bug reports and forums like
this.

Like others in this thread, I did start with a clean slate. My current build had
never had GiMP installed on it. However wasn't a total fresh win install. So I
may try to clean things up better, but to be honest, the installer program
should be doing that cleaning.....in a perfect world. Without feedback open
source gets no where near perfect.

I am not trying to start a flame war, just trying to understand that severely
off base comment.  Chocking it up to sarcasm for the moment. Comparing someone
to edsel implies the someone is a business, yeah not so much. Just someone who
used gimp to make some images for a pet project.

As someone who values all of my time, that paid alternative would have been less
expensive. Just saying. There is no such thing as free. Everything has an
expense. This is not a complaint, it''s a fact I chose to go the "Free" route, I
then chose to upgrade to an untested (by me) product for a project I wasn't
quite done with yet.  I then chose to make my experience known so that those who
are experts at gimp can have a look and see what's going on, and if I am lucky
can fix it. Most importantly of all, someone who hasn't upgraded yet may read
this thread learning to go about the process differently than I did and as a
result have a much better experience. Lord knows forums have saved me numerous
times.

While I am at it, I should clarify, I don't have a load time issue with 2.10, I
have an everything else is slow issue. It frequently stops responding for the
most mundane of tasks, well nearly every operation. Merely out of curiosity,
when I am done with this project I will attempt a deep clean and see what
happens.  It does sound like a registry reference to a deleted file didn't get
cleaned up during the install process.

--
wireless112 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Gimp 2.10 very slow

Michael Schumacher

> I am sure your expert evaluation of the most expensive product, gimp, will
> be well received.  I am sorry your currency was ill spent.

May I express my hope that someone involved with another, big Free
Software project would use such replies as an opportunity to demonstrate
their experience with Free Software development and search the discussed
software project's bug tracker for a bug report describing the issue?

Re: Gimp 2.10 very slow

Michael Schumacher
On 05/17/2018 11:49 PM, labaxp wrote:

> We  are not here to discuss how much we spent for gimp.

We are spending time on the issues here, though, so discussing and
spending are intertwined.

But let's not get too distracting, because...

> This forum is to discuss bugs and other issues we are facing and to share
> opinions and maybe ways (if someone found) to improve gimp.

... this is what we actually want to do.

The corresponding bug report is:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=795880

Different compiler flags are likely the reason for speed differences
encountered in different builds, and figuring out those which provide
fast, yet still accurate results is the constructive way to go forward.

12