Gimp 2.10 autocrop equivalent

Misslo777
Dear Helpers

I have recently updated to Gimp 2.10 (under Ubuntu 18.04). I use Gimp
extensively for processing photos.  One very common problem is having the photo
tilted by a few degrees.  It is easy to straighten it using the rotate tool or
the new way via the measurement tool.  In Gimp 2.8 it used to be very easy to
crop off any excess using the autocrop tool.  However nothing I have tried works
that way in Gimp 2.10.

I created a small image to demonstrate what happens.  On the left is my "photo"
a bit out of whack;). IN the middle is a screen shot of the image after
rotation.  The third is what I would like, which autocrop under Gimp 2.8 would
create.   In GImp 2.10, if I "crop to content" (under Image menu item) then I
get an error message saying "cannot crop because the image is already cropped to
content". Using "crop to selection" then the grey border inside the yellow
dotted lines disappears which is what one would expect.  I would like the crop
to be such that it crops off the outer section plus  all the transparent
sections.

I have searched for an answer but could not get the results as described in
http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/20922-crop-to-selection-not-working

Any help would be much appreciated:)

Thanks

Margaret

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1059/original/Autocrophelp.jpg

--
mgwong (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Gimp 2.10 autocrop equivalent

Misslo777
>Dear Helpers
>
>I have recently updated to Gimp 2.10 (under Ubuntu 18.04). I use Gimp
>extensively for processing photos.  One very common problem is having
>the photo tilted by a few degrees.  It is easy to straighten it using
>the rotate tool or the new way via the measurement tool.  In Gimp 2.8
>it used to be very easy to crop off any excess using the autocrop
>tool.  However nothing I have tried works that way in Gimp 2.10.
>
>I created a small image to demonstrate what happens.  On the left is
>my "photo" a bit out of whack;). IN the middle is a screen shot of the
>image after rotation.  The third is what I would like, which autocrop
>under Gimp 2.8 would create.   In GImp 2.10, if I "crop to content"
>(under Image menu item) then I get an error message saying "cannot
>crop because the image is already cropped to content". Using "crop to
>selection" then the grey border inside the yellow dotted lines
>disappears which is what one would expect.  I would like the crop to
>be such that it crops off the outer section plus  all the transparent
>sections.
>
>I have searched for an answer but could not get the results as
>described in
>http://www.gimpusers.com/forums/gimp-user/20922-crop-to-selection-not-working
>
>Any help would be much appreciated:)
>
>Thanks
>
>Margaret

It is the alpha channel which interferes.

1. Using the Gimp 2.10 measure tool for straightening, recommend set "Clipping"
to clip.

2. Apply that and then consider the background colour. If it is white as your
example the skip the next. Photographs often have an off-white value .

3. If needed, colour-pick the background color and then Layer -> Transparency ->
Remove alpha channel. That should give a solid uniform background.

4. Apply zealous crop or crop to content.

A better way for the background colour might be using the
resynthesizer/heal-transparency plugins. (***don't use*** the registry-plugin
deb package for this, grab them separately) then remove alpha.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1060/original/01-crop.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1061/original/02-crop.jpg

Gimp 2.10 autocrop equivalent

Misslo777
>It is the alpha channel which interferes.

Apologies, as usual not paying enough attention to what you want as an outcome.

You could try this plugin StraightCrop. Comes from the now defunct
gimp-plugin-registry site. Tried in Kubuntu 16.04 Gimp 2.10.8 flatpak so should
work on your 18.04 installation.

The plugin attached, unzip and put in your Gimp user profile
~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins

The permissions should already be set but check for executable anyway.

In action, make a straight path then menu Image -> Transform -> Straighten &
Crop

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1062/original/03-crop.jpg
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1063/original/StraightenCrop_0.py.zip

Gimp 2.10 autocrop equivalent

Misslo777
>Apologies, as usual not paying enough attention to what you want as an
>outcome.
>
>You could try this plugin StraightCrop. Comes from the now defunct
>gimp-plugin-registry site. Tried in Kubuntu 16.04 Gimp 2.10.8 flatpak
>so should work on your 18.04 installation.
>
>The plugin attached, unzip and put in your Gimp user profile
>~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins
>
>The permissions should already be set but check for executable anyway.
>
>In action, make a straight path then menu Image -> Transform ->
>Straighten & Crop
>
>rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Thanks so much for solving my problem:)   The answer was there under my nose all
the time  but I didn't register its importance until I read your reply.  In both
"straightening using the measure tool" and "straightening by corrective
rotation", then  using clipping with the "crop to result " option  gives a
result in which "Image: crop to content" gives what I want.

Thanks so much for your help:):)

--
mgwong (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Gimp 2.10 autocrop equivalent

Misslo777
>Apologies, as usual not paying enough attention to what you want as an
>outcome.
>
>You could try this plugin StraightCrop. Comes from the now defunct
>gimp-plugin-registry site. Tried in Kubuntu 16.04 Gimp 2.10.8 flatpak
>so should work on your 18.04 installation.
>
>The plugin attached, unzip and put in your Gimp user profile
>~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins
>
>The permissions should already be set but check for executable anyway.
>
>In action, make a straight path then menu Image -> Transform ->
>Straighten & Crop
>
>rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Thanks so much for solving my problem:)   The answer was there under my nose all
the time  but I didn't register its importance until I read your reply.  In both
"straightening using the measure tool" and "straightening by corrective
rotation", then  using clipping with the "crop to result " option  gives a
result in which "Image: crop to content" gives what I want.

Thanks so much for your help:):)

--
mgwong (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Gimp 2.10 autocrop equivalent

Misslo777
>It is the alpha channel which interferes.
>
>1. Using the Gimp 2.10 measure tool for straightening, recommend set
>"Clipping" to clip.
>
>2. Apply that and then consider the background colour. If it is white
>as your example the skip the next. Photographs often have an off-white
>value .
>
>3. If needed, colour-pick the background color and then Layer ->
>Transparency -> Remove alpha channel. That should give a solid uniform
>background.
>
>4. Apply zealous crop or crop to content.
>
>A better way for the background colour might be using the
>resynthesizer/heal-transparency plugins. (***don't use*** the
>registry-plugin deb package for this, grab them separately) then
>remove alpha.
>
>rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Thanks for the tip about resynthesizer.  I downloaded and compiled it and it
works:):)  Something I use quite frequently :)

:):)

--
mgwong (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)