Gimp 2.10 and Streetwear font (glyphs)

aznelson
Hello Everyone

I'm using Gimp 2.10.14 under Ubuntu and I'm trying to use the Streewear font
(https://www.dafontfree.io/streetwear-font-free/) for a creation but I can't
access some glyphs.

I checked with online tools such https://opentype.js.org and the characters I'm
interested in (for example id 264 -> E.ALT) don't have unicode so it's
impossible to display them in the text with shift+ctrl+u :(

I need an Illustrator/Photoshop or is it possible with Gimp?

Thanks for your help,

Best regards,

Vincent

--
vincents (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Gimp 2.10 and Streetwear font (glyphs)

Users mailing list
On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 11:59 AM vincents <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Everyone
>
> I'm using Gimp 2.10.14 under Ubuntu and I'm trying to use the Streewear font
> (https://www.dafontfree.io/streetwear-font-free/) for a creation but I can't
> access some glyphs.
>
> I checked with online tools such https://opentype.js.org and the characters I'm
> interested in (for example id 264 -> E.ALT) don't have unicode so it's
> impossible to display them in the text with shift+ctrl+u :(
>
> I need an Illustrator/Photoshop or is it possible with Gimp?

Hello,

Any half-decent font manager, including free ones, will give you the
possibility to open the full map of characters, pick the one you need,
then copy/paste it.

Here is Font Manager doing just that:

https://i.imgur.com/DvChS0e.png

http://fontmanager.github.io/

Gimp 2.10 and Streetwear font (glyphs)

aznelson
Hi Alex,

Thank you for your answer !

So I have installer this font manager you talked about but no help, I still
cannot see all the glyphs. It seems that I cant see those without unicode.

https://imgur.com/a/geXO5UV

Any idea to go further please ?

Best regards,

Vincent

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 2:14 PM vincents wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Thank you for your answer !
>
> So I have installer this font manager you talked about but no help, I still
> cannot see all the glyphs. It seems that I cant see those without unicode.
>
> https://imgur.com/a/geXO5UV

Okay, so I grabbed the file and opened it in FontForge. I'm guessing
you are talking about glyphs towards the bottom.

https://i.imgur.com/kWDJqXY.png

They all have '-1' Unicode value. This is so messed up. Basically you
have two options:

1. Find software that would access glyphs that don't belong to any
Unicode block. I think the only one that did that was Fontmatrix, and
it's not in the Ubuntu repository anymore. Maybe in some PPAs.

2. Use FontForge to map the glyphs that you need to real Unicode
characters inside known blocks. As a quick hackaround, you could use
smth like Latin Extended A or Latin Extended B:
https://unicode-table.com/en/blocks/latin-extended-b/.

For that, if my understanding is correct:

1. Use 'Encoding > Compact' to see everything in one window
2. Click to select a glyph you want to remap
3. Use 'Element > Glyph Info..."
4. Set new value using reference in the link above, press OK

When you are done, uncheck 'Compact' encoding option, export the font
file, install it instead of the one you already installed.

In fact, there's option 3: annoy the type designer just enough to get
this fixed :)

On 3/11/2020 02:53, Alexandre Prokoudine via gimp-user-list wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 2:14 PM vincents wrote:
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> Thank you for your answer !
>>
>> So I have installer this font manager you talked about but no help, I still
>> cannot see all the glyphs. It seems that I cant see those without unicode.
>>
>> https://imgur.com/a/geXO5UV
> Okay, so I grabbed the file and opened it in FontForge. I'm guessing
> you are talking about glyphs towards the bottom.
>
> https://i.imgur.com/kWDJqXY.png
>
> They all have '-1' Unicode value. This is so messed up. Basically you
> have two options:
>
> 1. Find software that would access glyphs that don't belong to any
> Unicode block. I think the only one that did that was Fontmatrix, and
> it's not in the Ubuntu repository anymore. Maybe in some PPAs.
>
> 2. Use FontForge to map the glyphs that you need to real Unicode
> characters inside known blocks. As a quick hackaround, you could use
> smth like Latin Extended A or Latin Extended B:
> https://unicode-table.com/en/blocks/latin-extended-b/.
>
> For that, if my understanding is correct:
>
> 1. Use 'Encoding > Compact' to see everything in one window
> 2. Click to select a glyph you want to remap
> 3. Use 'Element > Glyph Info..."
> 4. Set new value using reference in the link above, press OK
>
> When you are done, uncheck 'Compact' encoding option, export the font
> file, install it instead of the one you already installed.
>
> In fact, there's option 3: annoy the type designer just enough to get
> this fixed :)
>
> Alex

Just a user here, but I assume GIMP only accesses the Unicode CMAP for a
ttf/otf font.  For freeware Font Forge is probably your best bet to get
at the full glyph index.  There's some better payware for Win or Mac, no
idea about Linux distros.

scott s.

.

On Wed, 2020-03-11 at 09:59 +0100, vincents wrote:

> I'm using Gimp 2.10.14 under Ubuntu and I'm trying to use the
> Streewear font
> (https://www.dafontfree.io/streetwear-font-free/) for a creation but
> I can't access some glyphs.

GIMP does not have a glyphs palette i’m afraid, and also it can only
use glyphs that are mapped to characters. The Streetware font has
access to the glphs at the end via the OpenType alternate glyphs
mechanism, but GIMP doesn't support OpenType features and alternates.

slave liam

Click here to have the slave beaten.

Gimp 2.10 and Streetwear font (glyphs)

aznelson
Hi Alex,

Thanks for your test !

I have installed Fontforge, loaded the font, mapped some glyphs (yes those at
the bottom) with Latin Extended B using "Glyph info", generate the fonts
(Truetype .ttf), but no help. If I use shift+ctrl+u, I still see the Latin
Extended B characters ...

Did you manage to do it on your side ?

Thanks !

Vincent

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 7:22 PM Liam R E Quin wrote:

> On Wed, 2020-03-11 at 09:59 +0100, vincents wrote:
> >
> > I'm using Gimp 2.10.14 under Ubuntu and I'm trying to use the
> > Streewear font
> > (https://www.dafontfree.io/streetwear-font-free/) for a creation but
> > I can't access some glyphs.
>
> GIMP does not have a glyphs palette i’m afraid, and also it can only
> use glyphs that are mapped to characters. The Streetware font has
> access to the glphs at the end via the OpenType alternate glyphs
> mechanism, but GIMP doesn't support OpenType features and alternates.

Oh, I'll be damned, you are completely right, and I messed up. They
are referenced via the aalt table. Yes, not much we can do in GIMP
right now.

Gimp 2.10 and Streetwear font (glyphs)

aznelson
Hi All !

Thanks guys for your answers.

I will move to Photoshop/Illustrator for this time :( :( :(

Regards,

Vincent

--
vincents (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)