Quantcast

Generic Filter Missing Selections

rich2005
I am new to Gimp. I initially had 2.8.18, but then you released 2.18.20 so I
attempted to update. I had several issues that seemed to be solved when I turned
off Windows Defender, and then I just listed Gimp on the excluded list. However,
after the recent Windows 10 Update I was experimenting with a technique on
Youtube that required the use of the displace filter under generic and maps.
When I tried to use it I got an error message. Eventually I tried a clean
reinstall. When I downloaded again, the generic filter suddenly only had the
first 3 selections. After several attempts and running Malwarebytes which only
found adware, I thought well I will just go back to the 2.8.18 and figure it out
later. That version now has the same problem. Im thinking that has to be
something with my system so I disabled Defender and downloaded Avast. Did yet
another clean download of 2.8.18 and they still are not there. I did a search of
just the Gimp files for National Geographic for simplicity. Thought maybe if I
found it I would find the other files. But it didnt find them. Im running a
search of the entire system, but that could take a while, so finally decided to
break down and come here and see if you guys could tell me whats going on. Im so
frustrated because I am completely addicted to Gimp. Im working on my Masters
thesis and Gimp has become a great source of relaxation for me. Please help me
get it back.  Thanks.

--
crj414 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Generic Filter Missing Selections

rich2005
>I am new to Gimp. I initially had 2.8.18, but then you released
>2.18.20 so I attempted to update. I had several issues that seemed to
>be solved when I turned off Windows Defender, and then I just listed
>Gimp on the excluded list. However, after the recent Windows 10 Update
>I was experimenting with a technique on Youtube that required the use
>of the displace filter under generic and maps. When I tried to use it
>I got an error message. Eventually I tried a clean reinstall. When I
>downloaded again, the generic filter suddenly only had the first 3
>selections. After several attempts and running Malwarebytes which only
>found adware, I thought well I will just go back to the 2.8.18 and
>figure it out later. That version now has the same problem. Im
>thinking that has to be something with my system so I disabled
>Defender and downloaded Avast. Did yet another clean download of
>2.8.18 and they still are not there. I did a search of just the Gimp
>files for National Geographic for simplicity. Thought maybe if I found
>it I would find the other files. But it didnt find them. Im running a
>search of the entire system, but that could take a while, so finally
>decided to break down and come here and see if you guys could tell me
>whats going on. Im so frustrated because I am completely addicted to
>Gimp. Im working on my Masters thesis and Gimp has become a great
>source of relaxation for me. Please help me get it back.  Thanks.

Update - still not working. removed and tried again. file search tagged a file
in Win Sxs
long and wont let me copy paste but its an amd64 shell32 file, opened in
notepad and doesnt appear to have any relation to gimp. Windows 10 ran an update
on 3/14 so maybe that did something?? Thanks again.

--
crj414 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)