Gaussian blur confusion

Users mailing list
So I just recently got into using this platform and I was watching a
tutorial trying to follow along but I just could not get it to work. I
looked into it through the help section and under filters through gaussian
blur it lists FIR & RLE. but when I go to make a selection there is FIR and
IIR no RLE. When blurring an object it drastically increases it in size but
in the video I was watching he blurred the object and it stayed relatively
the same size.. I can't find anything online towards the subject and even
when I click help in Gimp it clearly states the two options should be FIR
and RLE. there is literally no mention of IIR. ANYWHERE.

Re: Gaussian blur confusion

Users mailing list
On 21/12/2020 20:31, Joshua Oxley via gimp-user-list wrote:
>   anything online towards the subject and even
> when I click help in Gimp it clearly s

The problem is that the blur "units" have changed with Gimp 2.10, IIRC
you have to divide by about 6 the blur amounts for previous versions of
Gimp.

Re: Gaussian blur confusion

Rick Kline
As the OP mentioned, the Filter options under Gaussian Blur are Auto, FIR, and IIRC. The GIMP 2.10 manual does, indeed, list filter options as Auto, FIR, and RLE, so I can understand the confusion.

I typically use Auto, so I’ve never noticed the discrepancy before.

Rick
It’s better to wave at a stranger than to ignore a friend