GIMP transformation selection

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GIMP transformation selection

Beinsezii
After editing a text layer that had been imported by dragging a layer from one
project to another, i got a window that explained i was trying to edit something
that was imported and if i did, i'd lose the edit. I had 3 choices - edit,
discard changes, or cancel

i think i chose cancel and then got a new layer at the top of the layer view
called transformation selection. It seemed i couldn't select any other layers in
the layers view after that
 
i ended up using undo to go back to where i was before. Later it happened again
and the undo history didn't go back far enough to get rid of it. I then selected
transformation selection. And hit delete. I then deleted the color background
layer that was causing this and redid that layer without importing

this whole episode happened very fast so i may not be remembering everything
correctly, so if any of this sounds familiar, maybe you can give me a clue what
happened. My theory is it had something to do with me trying to import layers to
my 300ppi project from my previous project that was 100ppi

--
GerryPeters (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GIMP transformation selection

Beinsezii
>After editing a text layer that had been imported by dragging a layer
>from one project to another, i got a window that explained i was
>trying to edit something that was imported and if i did, i'd lose the
>edit. I had 3 choices - edit, discard changes, or cancel
>
>i think i chose cancel and then got a new layer at the top of the
>layer view called transformation selection. It seemed i couldn't
>select any other layers in the layers view after that

That reads like a mixture of operations.

Drag and drop a text layer that has been transformed some way. Try and edit
brings up a message offering choices of reverting back to original text in
different forms.

It is in here: https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-image-text-management.html

A new layer "floating selection" top of layer stack would result from a
copy-paste. You need to either anchor the layer or promote that to a new layer
in order to proceed

https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-layer-anchor.html


>i ended up using undo to go back to where i was before. Later it
>happened again and the undo history didn't go back far enough to get
>rid of it. I then selected transformation selection. And hit delete. I
>then deleted the color background layer that was causing this and
>redid that layer without importing
>
>this whole episode happened very fast so i may not be remembering
>everything correctly, so if any of this sounds familiar, maybe you can
>give me a clue what happened. My theory is it had something to do with
>me trying to import layers to my 300ppi project from my previous
>project that was 100ppi

Snags moving transformed text layers from one image to another.

You only get the original untransformed text back, wrong size, wrong position.
Up to you to fix that. You can use a flattened scaled version of the small image
as a template.

If the file comes from another Gimp in another machine, the font might not exist
on your installation. What happens then, Gimp will use the default (usually
'sans') font. There are ways of finding the original font using a plug-in.

This forum is hard going. Just the first bit explanation on moving transformed
text needs several screenshots. Sorry but needs a quick video how-to

https://youtu.be/DN6cmvTR0aY  4 and a bit minutes check that and come back with
problems.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net


--
rich404 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GIMP transformation selection

Beinsezii
>That reads like a mixture of operations.
>
>Drag and drop a text layer that has been transformed some way. Try and
>edit brings up a message offering choices of reverting back to
>original text in different forms.
>
>It is in here:
>https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-image-text-management.html
>
>A new layer "floating selection" top of layer stack would result from
>a copy-paste. You need to either anchor the layer or promote that to a
>new layer in order to proceed
>
>https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-layer-anchor.html
>Snags moving transformed text layers from one image to another.
>
>You only get the original untransformed text back, wrong size, wrong
>position. Up to you to fix that. You can use a flattened scaled
>version of the small image as a template.
>
>If the file comes from another Gimp in another machine, the font might
>not exist on your installation. What happens then, Gimp will use the
>default (usually 'sans') font. There are ways of finding the original
>font using a plug-in.
>
>This forum is hard going. Just the first bit explanation on moving
>transformed text needs several screenshots. Sorry but needs a quick
>video how-to
>
>https://youtu.be/DN6cmvTR0aY  4 and a bit minutes check that and come
>back with problems.
>
>rich: www.gimp-forum.net

As usual you have great understanding of this issue too. I'll study these links
to learn more, but I'm very glad i simply used undo or delete to get rid of that
since it looks like I opened a can of worms.

I've completed my CD label and panels and since I don't have that Transformation
Selection in the labels view, it looks like I'm free from worrying about it.

Thanks for all your great help,


--
GerryPeters (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list