GIMP throwing away TIFF tags

Paul Surgeon-2
Is there some way to tell GIMP to preserve TIFF tags even if they're not
known?
If not can I file this as a bug? Tags shouldn't just be thrown away.

Paul

Re: GIMP throwing away TIFF tags

Sven Neumann
Hi,

On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 20:47 +0200, Paul Surgeon wrote:
> Is there some way to tell GIMP to preserve TIFF tags even if they're not
> known?
> If not can I file this as a bug? Tags shouldn't just be thrown away.

Who says so? Can you point me to the part of the TIFF spec that defines
how unsupported tags are supposed to be handled?

Sven

Re: GIMP throwing away TIFF tags

Olivier Ripoll
Paul Surgeon wrote:
> Is there some way to tell GIMP to preserve TIFF tags even if they're not
> known?
> If not can I file this as a bug? Tags shouldn't just be thrown away.
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

To complement Sven's reply, I would just add that the TIFF
specification, section 7, page 26, recommends that TIFF editors
("applications that modify TIFF files") discards tags/fields/IFD they do
not understand. To be more precise, the wording is:

"It is unnecessary—and possibly dangerous—for an editor to copy fields
it does not understand because the editor might alter the file in a way
that is incompatible with the unknown fields."

Best regards,

Olivier

On Monday 12 February 2007 10:36, Olivier Ripoll wrote:

> To complement Sven's reply, I would just add that the TIFF
> specification, section 7, page 26, recommends that TIFF editors
> ("applications that modify TIFF files") discards tags/fields/IFD they do
> not understand. To be more precise, the wording is:
>
> "It is unnecessary—and possibly dangerous—for an editor to copy fields
> it does not understand because the editor might alter the file in a way
> that is incompatible with the unknown fields."
>
> Best regards,
>
> Olivier

Ok so let's throw the tags away.
Is there anyway to get GIMP to use libgeotiff instead of libtiff?
libgeotiff is built on top of libtiff.
I have to touch up hundreds of aerial photos and it's a PITA to have to save
and then reapply the projection every time I save an image in GIMP.

Avenza Systems sell a Photoshop CS plugin called "Geographic Imager" that
handles GIS formats but it also does far more than what I need and am willing
to pay for ($600).

Paul

Re: GIMP throwing away TIFF tags

scott s.-2
Paul Surgeon wrote:

> Ok so let's throw the tags away.
> Is there anyway to get GIMP to use libgeotiff instead of libtiff?
> libgeotiff is built on top of libtiff.
> I have to touch up hundreds of aerial photos and it's a PITA to have to save
> and then reapply the projection every time I save an image in GIMP.
>
> Avenza Systems sell a Photoshop CS plugin called "Geographic Imager" that
> handles GIS formats but it also does far more than what I need and am willing
> to pay for ($600).

I also wish there was an option to keep Geotiff tags in images.  At
least the current
version of GIMP I use only raises 3 errors, vs the many errors I got in
the past.
IIRC the last time I asked about it I was told to write my own plugin.

scott s.
.

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 12:52 +0200, Paul Surgeon wrote:

> I have to touch up hundreds of aerial photos and it's a PITA to have to save
> and then reapply the projection every time I save an image in GIMP.

We would accept a patch that changes the TIFF plug-in so that geographic
tags are attached to the image and saved with the TIFF file when it is
saved again. As long as this patch makes sure that GIMP doesn't alter
any information that is stored in these tags, that should be fine.

Sven

Size of "new" picture after selection gimp 2.2 vs. 2.3

ge-7
Dear All,

In gimp 2.2 when I selected a rectangle, and after that selected a new picture using ctrl-n, the size of the new picture was the the size of the selected triangle, which was very handy.

In gimp 2.3, the size of the new picture is fixed, and is not related to the selected rectangle; this forces the user to find out the rectangle's size, and set up the right size manually, which is clearly a step backwards. Will this be improved (as it was in 2.2) in a new version?

-eleonora
Jetzt GMX TopMail testen: www.gmx.net/de/go/mailfooter/topmail-out

Re: Size of "new" picture after selection gimp 2.2 vs. 2.3

Michael Schumacher
Von: [hidden email]

> In gimp 2.3, the size of the new picture is fixed, and is not related to
> the selected rectangle; this forces the user to find out the rectangle's
> size, and set up the right size manually, which is clearly a step backwards.
> Will this be improved (as it was in 2.2) in a new version?

No. The behavior of File->Open is intentional, the old "come up with old values" was not obvious to many users because they didn't reagrd copying as something that could alter the default values.

Creating a new image from the content of the clipboard has become more straight-forward in GIMP 2.3, actually. Use "File->Acquire->Paste as New" or "Edit->Paste as->New Image" to get there in one step.

HTH,

Von: "Michael Schumacher" <[hidden email]>

> No. The behavior of File->Open

That's File->New, of course.

Jetzt GMX ProMail testen: www.gmx.net/de/go/mailfooter/promail-out

Re: GIMP throwing away TIFF tags

Claus Cyrny
scott s. wrote:
Paul Surgeon wrote:

Ok so let's throw the tags away.
Is there anyway to get GIMP to use libgeotiff instead of libtiff?
libgeotiff is built on top of libtiff.
I have to touch up hundreds of aerial photos and it's a PITA to have to save
and then reapply the projection every time I save an image in GIMP.

Avenza Systems sell a Photoshop CS plugin called "Geographic Imager" that
handles GIS formats but it also does far more than what I need and am willing
to pay for ($600).

I also wish there was an option to keep Geotiff tags in images.  At
least the current
version of GIMP I use only raises 3 errors, vs the many errors I got in
the past.
IIRC the last time I asked about it I was told to write my own plugin.

scott s.
.

Maybe 'listgeo' could help you on that. Found it via Google.

Claus
--
Home Page: http://home.arcor.de/ccyrny/ (Photographs)
Blog: http://grafomatic.twoday.net (in German)

Re: Size of "new" picture after selection gimp 2.2 vs. 2.3

Matthias Julius
"Michael Schumacher" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Creating a new image from the content of the clipboard has become more
> straight-forward in GIMP 2.3, actually. Use "File->Acquire->Paste as
> New" or "Edit->Paste as->New Image" to get there in one step.

Actually, these options are in 2.2 already.

Matthias

[hidden email] wrote:
> Dear All,

BTW: you should not reply to mailing list messages if you want to start
a new topic. This does interfere with threading in mailclients.

HTH,

    GIMP > http://www.gimp.org      | IRC: irc://irc.gimp.org/gimp
    Wiki > http://wiki.gimp.org     | .de: http://gimpforum.de
Plug-ins > http://registry.gimp.org |

Re: Size of "new" picture after selection gimp 2.2 vs. 2.3

ge-7

Thanks, edit->paste as->new image works well.

-eleonora

Betreff: Re: [Gimp-user] Size of "new" picture after selection gimp 2.2 vs. 2.3