GIMP resize options

Cliff Esler
I am a  relatively new user running GIMP 2.8.18 on Win7 Pro x64 OS.

Am puzzled by the absence of a simple "resize" option which is standard in
most graphics applications, allowing you to choose pixel resize with or
without maintaining present width to height ratio.

I do not see this in Image > Transform
I do not see this in Image > Scale Image
I do not see this in Tools >

So my question (which is really a UI design issue) is "why is this
rudimentary function hard to find?"

After failing to find it in GIMP for an image I was working on, I finally
gave up and resized it in MS Paint with a few clicks.

Surely that does not recommend GIMP for user-friendliness.

If someone can tell me where to find Resize with "maintain aspect ratio"
unchecked, my thanks in advance.

CE

Re: GIMP resize options

Casey Connor-2

> Image > Scale Image

And uncheck the "chain" icon next to the values. This is pretty standard
GUI to indicate that things are not "linked". Same paradigm in play in
the layers dock; they can be linked together so that they move together.

You can also use the Scale tool (ctrl-T by default, I believe.)

(I'm in 2.9.5 but I believe the above applies all the same.)

-c

Re: GIMP resize options

Pat David
It's actually one of the very first options as an example in the docs:

https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-tutorial-quickie-scale.html

Or the first tutorial on the tutorials page:

https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/GIMP_Quickies/#changing-the-size-dimensions-of-an-image-scale

There's a few other things there that might be helpful to you as well.

Pat

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 6:58 PM Casey Connor <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Image > Scale Image

And uncheck the "chain" icon next to the values. This is pretty standard
GUI to indicate that things are not "linked". Same paradigm in play in
the layers dock; they can be linked together so that they move together.

You can also use the Scale tool (ctrl-T by default, I believe.)

(I'm in 2.9.5 but I believe the above applies all the same.)

-c

Pat David
https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC