GIMP license from the GIMP team ?

Developers mailing list
Hi all,
I have developed an Android application that provide GIMP via  a remote connection to a server where GIMP desktop app is running.I want to include the word GIMP in the app name and in the app description but I am not sure it there is a GIMP trademark that states restrictions about it. An app name like RemoteGIMP or vncGIMP or Image editor for GIMP ...
My understanding is that GIMP trademark and logo is free to use according to GPL. However Google Team says that I must have the GIMP team permission in order to use the word "GIMP" in the app name. Do you know how we could obtain the GIMP team permissions to include the word GIMP in the app name taking into account that our app provides access to a GIMP desktop app ?
Thanks,
Miguel

Re: GIMP license from the GIMP team ?

Simon Budig
Hi Miguel.

Entertainment Mobile wrote:
> My understanding is that GIMP trademark and logo is free to use
> according to GPL. However Google Team says that I must have the GIMP
> team permission in order to use the word "GIMP" in the app name. Do
> you know how we could obtain the GIMP team permissions to include the
> word GIMP in the app name taking into account that our app provides
> access to a GIMP desktop app ?

Well, asking the GIMP team here is a good start.  :)

Personally I consider it a bit misleading to include the name "GIMP"
into a remote desktop app that happens to be used to connect to a remote
gimp.

The User Experience for this kind of application will always be tricky,
since GIMP is designed for the desktop and is not really adjusted to the
Android UI.

I would prefer to reserve the name "GIMP" for an app that uses gimp's
technology with a suitable UI layer. While we currently don't have any
plans to do this it might happen in the future.

I appreciate your efforts and your enthusiasm for gimp, but please try
to find a different name for your application.

Thank you,
        Simon
--
              [hidden email]              http://simon.budig.de/
C R

Re: GIMP license from the GIMP team ?

C R
Why just gimp? Why not include Inkscape, & Scribus, etc. and call it Remote
Design Studio (RDS) for short?

Just a thought.
-C