GIMP ---> Pixi: suggested name change

Joshua Coppersmith-Heaven
Hi all,

GIMP is a great programme, but it is not a great name. Changing its
identity to something more likeable will help to get more users, and
potentially more developers.

There is a commercial image editor called Pixie (with an e), but not
Pixi. This makes sense, as long as the software remains a pixel-based
editor. I've thought about the name for a while, before google came out
with their latest phone!

The logo could also feature some kind of pixelated pixi type character
(think a stylised zelda character), to replace to paintbrush-dog, which
seems to not have much in connection with the name gimp.... or am I
missing something?

Be interested to know your thoughts,

All the best

Joshua

Re: [Gimp-gui] GIMP ---> Pixi: suggested name change

Patrick Shanahan
* Joshua Coppersmith-Heaven <[hidden email]> [05-08-17 12:06]:

> Hi all,
>
> GIMP is a great programme, but it is not a great name. Changing its identity
> to something more likeable will help to get more users, and potentially more
> developers.
>
> There is a commercial image editor called Pixie (with an e), but not Pixi.
> This makes sense, as long as the software remains a pixel-based editor. I've
> thought about the name for a while, before google came out with their latest
> phone!
>
> The logo could also feature some kind of pixelated pixi type character
> (think a stylised zelda character), to replace to paintbrush-dog, which
> seems to not have much in connection with the name gimp.... or am I missing
> something?
>

> Be interested to know your thoughts,

google for "gimp name change" and you will find your answer.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo

Re: [Gimp-gui] GIMP ---> Pixi: suggested name change

Michael Schumacher

> * Joshua Coppersmith-Heaven <[hidden email]> [05-08-17 12:06]:

>> Be interested to know your thoughts,
>
> google for "gimp name change" and you will find your answer.

... xposting this reply to the gimp-gui list, where the original message
had been xposted to.

Anyone interested in this topic is kindly asked to follow Patrick's advice.

Re: [Gimp-gui] GIMP ---> Pixi: suggested name change

Alexandre Prokoudine
On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 5:51 PM, Joshua Coppersmith-Heaven wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> GIMP is a great programme, but it is not a great name. Changing its identity
> to something more likeable will help to get more users, and potentially more
> developers.

https://www.gimp.org/docs/userfaq.html#i-dont-like-the-name-gimp-will-you-change-it

Re: [Gimp-gui] GIMP ---> Pixi: suggested name change

Steve Kinney

> * Joshua Coppersmith-Heaven <[hidden email]> [05-08-17 12:06]:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> GIMP is a great programme, but it is not a great name. Changing its identity
>> to something more likeable will help to get more users, and potentially more
>> developers.
>>
>> There is a commercial image editor called Pixie (with an e), but not Pixi.
>> This makes sense, as long as the software remains a pixel-based editor. I've
>> thought about the name for a while, before google came out with their latest
>> phone!
>>
>> The logo could also feature some kind of pixelated pixi type character
>> (think a stylised zelda character), to replace to paintbrush-dog, which
>> seems to not have much in connection with the name gimp.... or am I missing
>> something?
>>

>> Be interested to know your thoughts,
>
> google for "gimp name change" and you will find your answer.

Yeah, it's in there:

https://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-user@.../msg11119.html

Long story short, all of the GIMP maintainers and a large number of GIMP
users are "computer people."  We are comfortable with acronyms, and the
acronym for a program whose full name was General Image Manipulation
Program and later GNU Image Manipulation Program doesn't bother us at all.

If anything, this "not a great name" suits the moronic sense of humor
that is every computer geek's birthright.  (Yes, I said geek and I meant
it.)

The GIMP has been around under that name for going on 20 years.  Its
user base has grown exponentially worldwide, and the tool kit itself is
standing on the brink of a quantum leap in capabilities.  I see no signs
that its name, which has positive brand recognition across a very large
community of users, has held back the GIMP's market penetration in the
least.  At this time, a name change would be actively harmful to long
established organic promotion that works very well.

BTW, "paintbrush-dog"?  His name is Wilbur and he is not a dog.  As a
student of marketing a.k.a. propaganda, I don't care what you say about
Wilbur as long as you spell his name right.

:o)

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 8:12 PM, Steve Kinney  wrote:

> I don't care what you say about Wilbur as long as you spell his name right.

This is were I have to hesitantly point out that he is Wilber, not Wilbur :)

On 05/08/2017 01:14 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 8:12 PM, Steve Kinney  wrote:
>
>> I don't care what you say about Wilbur as long as you spell his name right.
>
> This is were I have to hesitantly point out that he is Wilber, not Wilbur :)

ROTFLMAO!  What has been posted can not be un-posted.  Damn the
disconnect between my brain and fingers!

:o)

Re: GIMP ---> Pixi: suggested name change

Kevin Cozens-2
On 2017-05-08 10:51 AM, Joshua Coppersmith-Heaven wrote:
> GIMP is a great programme, but it is not a great name.
[snip]
> There is a commercial image editor called Pixie (with an e), but not Pixi.
[snip]
> Be interested to know your thoughts,

Calling an open source program Pixi when there is a commercial one Pixie is
going to lead to some confusion between the programs. It could also result
in a letter from the company behind the commercial program asking the open
source project to change its name.

As to your first statement, I'm glad you like the program. Others have
already commented on it being an acronym rather than a name. Thank you for
the name idea. This topic comes up now and then. Bottom line is the name
isn't going to change.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include <disclaimer/favourite> |             --Chris Hardwick

On Tue, May 09, 2017 at 08:39:53PM +0100, [hidden email] wrote:

> Joshua Coppersmith-Heaven wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >GIMP is a great programme, but it is not a great name. Changing its
> >identity to something more likeable will help to get more users, and
> >potentially more developers.
> >
> >There is a commercial image editor called Pixie (with an e), but not
> >Pixi. This makes sense, as long as the software remains a pixel-based
> >editor.
>
> How about the Pixel Image Manipulation Program? Similar to the current name,
> but emphasises that it's a pixel rather than vector image editor.
>
> (No, of course I'm not serious!)

That was a good one! :-)))))

--

Marco Ciampa

mdn

Re: GIMP ---> Pixi: suggested name change

mdn
I am against changing the name of it.
Discussing about it is a waist of time.

Le 08/05/2017 16:51, Joshua Coppersmith-Heaven a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> GIMP is a great programme, but it is not a great name. Changing its
> identity to something more likeable will help to get more users, and
> potentially more developers.
Because recursive acronyms aren't funny ?
GIMP
Gnu Image Manipulator Program
Or
Green Is My Pepper
What's wrong about that ?

> There is a commercial image editor called Pixie (with an e), but not
> Pixi. This makes sense, as long as the software remains a pixel-based
> editor. I've thought about the name for a while, before google came out
> with their latest phone!
>
> The logo could also feature some kind of pixelated pixi type character
> (think a stylised zelda character), to replace to paintbrush-dog, which
> seems to not have much in connection with the name gimp.... or am I
> missing something?
>

> Be interested to know your thoughts,
>

> All the best
>

> Joshua

Note: veuillez s'il vous plaît utiliser GnuPg pour nos futures conversations
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/fr/

-If you can't compile it dump it.

Re: GIMP ---> Pixi: suggested name change

Ofnuts-2
On 05/27/17 17:47, mdn wrote:
> Because recursive acronyms aren't funny ?
> GIMP
> Gnu Image Manipulator Program

GIMP Is My Photoshop....
mdn

Le 27/05/2017 23:24, Ofnuts a écrit :
> On 05/27/17 17:47, mdn wrote:
>> Because recursive acronyms aren't funny ?
>> GIMP
>> Gnu Image Manipulator Program
>
> GIMP Is My Photoshop....
Heresy
But very nice find X)

On 05/28/17 00:34, mdn wrote:

> Le 27/05/2017 23:24, Ofnuts a écrit :
>> On 05/27/17 17:47, mdn wrote:
>>> Because recursive acronyms aren't funny ?
>>> GIMP
>>> Gnu Image Manipulator Program
>> GIMP Is My Photoshop....
> Heresy
> But very nice find X)

I would have preferred GINP, as in "GINP Is Not Photoshop"

Re: GIMP ---> Pixi: suggested name change

Joel Rees
On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 8:49 AM, Ofnuts <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/28/17 00:34, mdn wrote:

>>> GIMP Is My Photoshop....
>>
>> Heresy
>> But very nice find X)
>

> I would have preferred GINP, as in "GINP Is Not Photoshop"

I'm sure it's been said before --

Geek's Image Manipulation Program

--
Joel Rees

One of these days I'll get someone to pay me
to design a language that combines the best of Forth and C.
Then I'll be able to leap wide instruction sets with a single #ifdef,
run faster than a speeding infinite loop with a #define,
and stop all integer size bugs with a bare cast.

More of my delusions:
http://reiisi.blogspot.com/2017/05/do-not-pay-modern-danegeld-ransomware.html
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html