GIMP development suggestion

Paul Naudé
Hi

I am an everyday user of GIMP (awesome, awesome product - wish I could
program to help but you guys rock) and have just one suggestion to add:

I still often need to use MS Paint, to quickly add something like a block,
line or circle. Unless I am unaware of a plug in for this purpose, it would
be great if GIMP could do that too (just these basic things so I can remove
Paint from my taskbar altogether ;-)
[image: Inlynprent 1]

My permanent taskbar shortcuts:

[image: Inlynprent 2]

Regards

Paul Naudé

Re: GIMP development suggestion

Alexandre Prokoudine
On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 12:10 PM, Paul Naudé wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am an everyday user of GIMP (awesome, awesome product - wish I could
> program to help but you guys rock) and have just one suggestion to add:
>
> I still often need to use MS Paint, to quickly add something like a block,
> line or circle. Unless I am unaware of a plug in for this purpose, it would
> be great if GIMP could do that too (just these basic things so I can remove
> Paint from my taskbar altogether ;-)

Hi Paul,

This feature has been sitting among our low-priority goals in the
roadmap for quite a few years.

C R

Re: GIMP development suggestion

C R
You can use the paths tool (hotkey b) to draw a shape, then do a "stroke
path".

You can also make a circular or rectangular selection and drag a colour
into it to fill the selection to make a solid shape.

That said, if you find you are doing this a lot, I recommend Inkscape, as
it's not only easy to make shapes in the manner you are wanting, but also
allows resizing and other modifications without pixelisation/blurring the
results.

Until gimp fully supports vector layers, it will always be a bit of a hack
to get what you want.

Hope it helps.
-C

On 27 Aug 2017 19:01, "Paul Naudé" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi

I am an everyday user of GIMP (awesome, awesome product - wish I could
program to help but you guys rock) and have just one suggestion to add:

I still often need to use MS Paint, to quickly add something like a block,
line or circle. Unless I am unaware of a plug in for this purpose, it would
be great if GIMP could do that too (just these basic things so I can remove
Paint from my taskbar altogether ;-)
[image: Inlynprent 1]

My permanent taskbar shortcuts:

[image: Inlynprent 2]

Regards

Paul Naudé

Re: GIMP development suggestion

Shlomi Fish

On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 22:31:22 +0300
Alexandre Prokoudine <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 12:10 PM, Paul Naudé wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am an everyday user of GIMP (awesome, awesome product - wish I could
> > program to help but you guys rock) and have just one suggestion to add:
> >
> > I still often need to use MS Paint, to quickly add something like a block,
> > line or circle. Unless I am unaware of a plug in for this purpose, it would
> > be great if GIMP could do that too (just these basic things so I can remove
> > Paint from my taskbar altogether ;-)
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> This feature has been sitting among our low-priority goals in the
> roadmap for quite a few years.

I think that lines can be drawn using the pencil tools and one can do
rectangular or elliptical selections and use "stroke". If something is still
missing then one can set up a bounty for implementing this feature. (I'm
interested!)

C R

Re: GIMP development suggestion

C R
Hey Paul. See I'm really lazy. I hate drawing things over and over,
resetting fonts, etc.
If you do this a lot, I'd set up a template (takes about 5 minutes)
for it in Inkscape (this is what I do for product composition because
it takes ages to move and transform things in GIMP).

Try this:
1. Open inkscape
2. Open Document properties (ctrl+shift+d), Change the units to px
instead of mm.
3. Save the file as "screenshot_template_master.svg" in the same
folder as your screenshots are saved.
4. Drag and drop one of your previous screenshots into the template
(choose "linked" as the import type).
5. With the image still selected, hit ctrl+shift+r (this resizes the
canvas to the selected object)
6. With the image still selected, right click on it and choose "image
properties"
7. Under the file name get rid of all the path information and just
put "1.jpg" (or 1.png if windows saves screenshots in png)
8. Lock the layer
9. make a new layer, and name it "arrows circles and junk" or whatever
you like. Raise the layer to the top of the stack.
10. Off the canvas, draw a collection of circles, arrows, rectangles, etc.
11. Save the file.

With this template file you have a few options for using all your nice
crisp vector bits:

A. You can simply rename the screenshot you want to "1.jpg" after
windows saves it, then open your template in Inkscape. Inkscape will
automatically load the new screenshot into the document for you, and
you can simply move your arrows and circles around, then export.

B. If renaming files is too much work, simply drag the new screenshot
into the template and choose "link".

C. If you'd rather just paste the screenshot into the document you can
do that too. You don't have to turn on snapping. Just move the
screenshot where you want it and use (ctrl+shift+r) to move the canvas
to the new screenshot. Alternatively, turn on page corner snapping for
a cleaner way to do this.

Note: If you need jpeg instead of png, install inkscape extension
"export layers", and choose JPEG as the export file type.

It's a bit of setup, but the time savings is massive in
redrawing/moving, rotating stuff, and you have an ever growing
collection of scale-able vector elements you can use on your other
projects.

Trust me, you'll be doing a file search for "master" as a regular
thing after only a short time of reaping the benefits of reusable
vectors.

Let me know if you have issues. :)
-C

C R

Re: GIMP development suggestion

C R
If you are really REALLY lazy, and don't care that much about the
quality of the stroke, then do this:

In GIMP:
1. Go to Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts
2. Type "stroke" in the search bar
3. Change the shortcut for vectors-stroke-last-values from "disabled"
to "Ctrl+Alt+s"

Now anytime you have a selection (circle or rectangle, or otherwise),
simply hit Ctrl+Alt+s to add a stroke to it.  It will be whatever
colour you have currently as your foreground colour.

If the line is too thin or too thick, just hit the / key and type
"stroke" into the search bar. Choose Selection to Stroke, and it will
pop up the dialog for changing line width etc.
The next time you use your hotkey, it will apply the same stroke you
last used. this works everytime you re-open gimp too, so it's
something yo probably only need to do once. :)

I don't recommend this way, but if you'd rather doe it all in GIMP,
this is the easiest way.

Also note that Ctrl+, (Ctrl + comma) will fill the selection with
whatever your foreground colour is. So you can get a filled and
stroked shape by Ctrl+, then Ctrl+Alt+s.

Hope it helps!
-C

C R

Re: GIMP development suggestion

C R
One correction: should be "select-stroke-last-values" not
"vector-stroke-last-values", obviously.

-C

C R

Re: GIMP development suggestion

C R
This should not deter GIMP developers from adding a proper shape
drawing feature. I highly recommend bribing Shlomi Fish to do it if
you have the dosh. :)

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 5:05 PM, C R <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> into the template and choose "link".
>>>
>>> C. If you'd rather just paste the screenshot into the document you can
>>> do that too. You don't have to turn on snapping. Just move the
>>> screenshot where you want it and use (ctrl+shift+r) to move the canvas
>>> to the new screenshot. Alternatively, turn on page corner snapping for
>>> a cleaner way to do this.
>>>
>>> Note: If you need jpeg instead of png, install inkscape extension
>>> "export layers", and choose JPEG as the export file type.
>>>

>>> It's a bit of setup, but the time savings is massive in
>>> redrawing/moving, rotating stuff, and you have an ever growing
>>> collection of scale-able vector elements you can use on your other
>>> projects.
>>>
>>> Trust me, you'll be doing a file search for "master" as a regular
>>> thing after only a short time of reaping the benefits of reusable

Got it, thanks! That is really helpful. Learnt quite a lot!

C R

Re: GIMP development suggestion

C R
No problem. happy GIMPing. :)
-C

C R

Re: GIMP development suggestion

C R
Another note: use Shift+alt+s if you are on Ubuntu Linux - Apparently
Ctrl+Alt+s is taken by the window manager to hide the window (slow
disapproving head shake).

-C

On 08/19/17 11:10, Paul Naudé wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am an everyday user of GIMP (awesome, awesome product - wish I could
> program to help but you guys rock) and have just one suggestion to add:
>
> I still often need to use MS Paint, to quickly add something like a block,
> line or circle. Unless I am unaware of a plug in for this purpose, it would
> be great if GIMP could do that too (just these basic things so I can remove
> Paint from my taskbar altogether ;-)
> [image: Inlynprent 1]

Strangely, nobody mentioned "Filters>Render>Gfig...".

There are also several scripts available  to create paths with geometric
shapes.
C R

Re: GIMP development suggestion

C R
A nice filter, but unfortunately isn't a substitute for on-canvas
editing/shape making.
Having to apply to change shape/fuzzy of brush is a bit cumbersome.

Turn this into a tool for working on canvas, with full access to the
undo/redo history stack, and it would be great. :)

It still would not replace the power of vector layer support unfortunately.

Thanks for pointing it out though, Ofnuts!