GIMP access on Mac

barbsdesk
I've tried to download GIMP both ways, but have been blocked by this Apple
message: ""GIMP.app can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified
developer.Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the App
Store and identified developers."

Contradictorily, I also got this message: “GIMP.app” is on the disk image
“gimp-2.8.20-x86_64.dmg”. Safari downloaded this disk image today at 8:16 PM
from www.gimp.org."

Two GIMP URL are listed on my Downloads, neither of which will open,
and neither is listed in my applications.

I have Mac Sierra.

Can you please help me? I’ve been using GIMP for years on PC, which I have
abandoned because of serious corruption issues with Windows 10.

--
poemystic (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: GIMP access on Mac

Guy Stalnaker
poemystic,

Though this document is for Mac OS X 10.8, it applies to later versions,
including El Capitan (I just checked on my MacBookPro). Ignore the
Symantec and follow the Preferences -> Security part.

https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=25443

Regards.

On 2/27/2017 7:58 PM, poemystic wrote:

> I've tried to download GIMP both ways, but have been blocked by this Apple
> message: ""GIMP.app can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified
> developer.Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the App
> Store and identified developers."
>
> Contradictorily, I also got this message: “GIMP.app” is on the disk image
> “gimp-2.8.20-x86_64.dmg”. Safari downloaded this disk image today at 8:16 PM
> from www.gimp.org."
>
> Two GIMP URL are listed on my Downloads, neither of which will open,
> and neither is listed in my applications.
>
> I have Mac Sierra.
>
> Can you please help me? I’ve been using GIMP for years on PC, which I have
> abandoned because of serious corruption issues with Windows 10.

--
"Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end
of human existence." ― Aristotle

Re: GIMP access on Mac

Ross Martinek
Open "System Preferences,” (Apple menu if you don’t have the icon in your dock.) click on the "Security & Privacy" icon. In the “General" pane, there should be a lock icon at the bottom. Click on that icon, type in your administrator password if requested. This will allow you to make changes in the panel. In the “Allow apps downloaded from:” section, select “Anywhere.” Close the “Preferences" panel, open GIMP. The system now knows this app is okay to open. Go back into "System Preferences," “General" panel, and change the allowed apps section back to “Mac App Store and identified developers.”

Ross

> On Feb 27, 2017, at 7:58 PM, poemystic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've tried to download GIMP both ways, but have been blocked by this Apple
> message: ""GIMP.app can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified
> developer.Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the App
> Store and identified developers."
>
> Contradictorily, I also got this message: “GIMP.app” is on the disk image
> “gimp-2.8.20-x86_64.dmg”. Safari downloaded this disk image today at 8:16 PM
> from www.gimp.org."
>
> Two GIMP URL are listed on my Downloads, neither of which will open,
> and neither is listed in my applications.
>
> I have Mac Sierra.
>
> Can you please help me? I’ve been using GIMP for years on PC, which I have
> abandoned because of serious corruption issues with Windows 10.
>
> --
> poemystic (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: GIMP access on Mac

ugajin-2
A better way (if I remember correctly) is to right click on Gimp.app and select open from the context menu. You will then get a warning dialogue asking if you want to open the app (or not). Slelect Open to launch app.

---- On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 17:45:39 +0000 Ross Martinek &lt;[hidden email]&gt; wrote ----

Open "System Preferences,” (Apple menu if you don’t have the icon in your dock.) click on the "Security &amp; Privacy" icon. In the “General" pane, there should be a lock icon at the bottom. Click on that icon, type in your administrator password if requested. This will allow you to make changes in the panel. In the “Allow apps downloaded from:” section, select “Anywhere.” Close the “Preferences" panel, open GIMP. The system now knows this app is okay to open. Go back into "System Preferences," “General" panel, and change the allowed apps section back to “Mac App Store and identified developers.”

Ross

&gt; On Feb 27, 2017, at 7:58 PM, poemystic &lt;[hidden email]&gt; wrote:
&gt;
&gt; I've tried to download GIMP both ways, but have been blocked by this Apple
&gt; message: ""GIMP.app can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified
&gt; developer.Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the App
&gt; Store and identified developers."
&gt;
&gt; Contradictorily, I also got this message: “GIMP.app” is on the disk image
&gt; “gimp-2.8.20-x86_64.dmg”. Safari downloaded this disk image today at 8:16 PM
&gt; from www.gimp.org."
&gt;
&gt; Two GIMP URL are listed on my Downloads, neither of which will open,
&gt; and neither is listed in my applications.
&gt;
&gt; I have Mac Sierra.
&gt;
&gt; Can you please help me? I’ve been using GIMP for years on PC, which I have
&gt; abandoned because of serious corruption issues with Windows 10.
&gt;
&gt; --
&gt; poemystic (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
&gt; gimp-user-list mailing list