GIMP SWAP Folder not honored

billlee
On Windows 10, uninstalled 2.8.18, and reinstalled 2.10.6, however, the SWAP &
Temporary folders, in Edit-Properties->Folders, do not appear to be honored.

Set the Temporary folder to F:\tmp and Swap folder to F:\swp, restarted GIMP,
and PC...

however, no matter what, GIMP still goes to either:

c:\Users\myuser\.cache\gegl-0.4\12056-shared.swap

c:\Users\myuser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\gegl-0.4\12056-shared.swap

That "C:" drive is low on space, only few GB, and drive F has a TB free :)

I've reinstalled many times, and removed all possible files from directories,
and registry as per various urls online, however, no matter what, each new
re-install, gimp ignores the folders settings, and writes directly to the above
locations... any ideas?

Stormy.

--
stormy (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: GIMP SWAP Folder not honored

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 12:22 AM stormy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Windows 10, uninstalled 2.8.18, and reinstalled 2.10.6, however, the
> SWAP &
> Temporary folders, in Edit-Properties->Folders, do not appear to be
> honored.

Do you have any link for developers so that we know where to look for
regarding this SWAP settings?
Keep in mind all the core devs do not use Windows, so do not hesitate to be
accurate and consider we don't know much about Windows.

> Set the Temporary folder to F:\tmp and Swap folder to F:\swp, restarted
> GIMP,
> and PC...
>
> however, no matter what, GIMP still goes to either:
>
> c:\Users\myuser\.cache\gegl-0.4\12056-shared.swap
>

> c:\Users\myuser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\gegl-0.4\12056-shared.swap

Does it go to one or the other? I'm sure it does the right thing, but I
doubt that it randomly use one folder or another at different runs, right?
:-)

> That "C:" drive is low on space, only few GB, and drive F has a TB free :)
>
> I've reinstalled many times, and removed all possible files from
> directories,
> and registry as per various urls online, however, no matter what, each new
> re-install, gimp ignores the folders settings, and writes directly to the
> above
> locations... any ideas?

Yeah it obviously follows XDG folder (which is a spec for Linux
distributions), and that is obviously not right for Windows. We should
special case the cache directory for this OS. If you tell us more about
this SWAP settings on Windows (and in particular what we have to look for?
Is there an API to know this folder? An env variable), this would help.
Also what is the proper default cache folder expected on Windows if none
were explicitly set?

Please when you answer, mention me explicitly (I have filters) so that I
don't miss your answer.
Thanks.

Jehan

> Stormy.
>
> --
> stormy (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net
Patreon: https://patreon.com/zemarmot
Tipeee: https://www.tipeee.com/zemarmot

GIMP SWAP Folder not honored

billlee
>Hi,
>Do you have any link for developers so that we know where to look for
>regarding this SWAP settings?

I'm not sure what you mean by "link", the "SWAP Folder" is a GIMP feature, it is
located in EDIT->Preferences, then scroll down to FOLDERS, there are two options
one "Temporary folder" and other is "Swap folder".

>Does it go to one or the other? I'm sure it does the right thing, but
>doubt that it randomly use one folder or another at different runs,
>right?

It never went to the location I set in the actual preferences dialog, instead it
went into one or the other locations , that depended on the cleanup/reinstall
sequence i took (did this many times), but once it chose a location , it kept
using it for the duration of that install cycle.. if i were to cleanup and
reinstall, it might choose the other location, but, never the one specified in
the prefs.

>special case the cache directory for this OS. If you tell us more
>about
>this SWAP settings on Windows (and in particular what we have to look
>for?

I'm talking about GIMP's internal swap, not windows swap.  I'm just an end-user,
do not know how gimp uses this 'swap' :)

>Is there an API to know this folder? An env variable), this would
>help.

Maybe there is an env var, I just used the GUI interface to try and relocate the
swap to a drive with more space.

>Also what is the proper default cache folder expected on Windows if
>none
>were explicitly set?

I guess this is OK:

c:\Users\myuser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\gegl-0.4

as for a default, or leave it like today, to choose based on some other window's
specific logic.

>Please when you answer, mention me explicitly (I have filters) so that
>don't miss your answer.
>Thanks.
>
>Jehan

hopefully you see this Jehan :)

--
stormy (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: GIMP SWAP Folder not honored

Users mailing list
Hi!

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 11:33 AM stormy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >Hi,
> >Do you have any link for developers so that we know where to look for
> >regarding this SWAP settings?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "link", the "SWAP Folder" is a GIMP feature,
> it is
> located in EDIT->Preferences, then scroll down to FOLDERS, there are two
> options
> one "Temporary folder" and other is "Swap folder".

Oh sorry. I thought this was some OS settings where you could configure
where programs should cache their data by default.

Anyway I opened a bug report on our side:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/2224

Jehan

On Wed, 2018-09-12 at 18:20 +0200, stormy wrote:

> however, no matter what, GIMP still goes to either:
>
> c:\Users\myuser\.cache\gegl-0.4\12056-shared.swap
>
> c:\Users\myuser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\gegl-
> 0.4\12056-shared.swap

Can you move the two gegl folders to a different drive and put in
shortcuts, until it's fixed? Maybe you did that already.

Liam (slave ankh on IRC)

Click here to have the slave beaten.

Re: GIMP SWAP Folder not honored

gimp-users.mbourne
stormy wrote:
>> Also what is the proper default cache folder expected on Windows if
>> none
>> were explicitly set?
>
> I guess this is OK:
>
> c:\Users\myuser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\gegl-0.4

Just to note that this would /not/ be a sensible default location for
GIMP (or GEGL) to store its cache files. This is under a directory where
Microsoft Windows stores /its/ own data. To be honest I'm not quite sure
what INetCache is used for specifically. As far as I can make out from
searching it's something to do with Internet Explorer's cache or perhaps
running plugins in protected mode. Not sure why anything to do with GEGL
would have ended up there though... is there a GIMP or GEGL browser plugin?

A more sensible default would be somewhere under, say:
   C:\Users\myuser\AppData\Local\GIMP\
i.e. a GIMP-specific directory under the local appdata directory. The
local appdata directory is relocatable (as is the whole C:\Users
directory), so the path used should be more like:
   %LOCALAPPDATA%\GIMP\
Where %LOCALAPPDATA% is an environment variable (set by Windows)
containing the correct path to the current user's local appdata directory.

I believe there are also Windows API calls to retrieve the local appdata
path. Looks like perhaps SHGetKnownFolderPath (since Windows Vista) or
(deprecated) SHGetFolderPathA for compatibility with older versions:
<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/desktop/api/shlobj_core/nf-shlobj_core-shgetknownfolderpath>
<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/desktop/api/shlobj_core/nf-shlobj_core-shgetfolderpatha>

If using %LOCALAPPDATA% or the API calls to get the local appdata path,
it may not really be necessary to provide an option within GIMP to
change those paths. Anyone wanting to move GIMP's appdata to a different
disk should be able to just configure Windows to move the appdata
directories, and as a bonus other applications (should) also store their
data at the new location.

Note that there's also a "roaming" appdata path. That shouldn't be used
for large amounts of data, particularly if temporary or disposable
caches. On networks using roaming profiles, the roaming appdata
directory is synchronised to a server during log-on/log-off, which gets
slow if there's a lot of data there. It might be useful for
configuration files though, since change made on one machine should then
be carried over to other machines the user log on to (if roaming
profiles are being used). Apologies for some vagueness; I've never
actually had to be concerned with the details. Probably best look up
authoritative info on Windows roaming profiles and correct usage of
"local" vs "roaming" appdata directories if this is of concern.

--
Mark.

GIMP SWAP Folder not honored

billlee
Thanks for all these details.  I'm not a developer, tried shortcut from:

c:\Users\myuser\.cache\gegl-0.4\

to f:\temp\gegl0.4, but the short cut has a .lnk extension, removing it made the
shortcut have a .4 extension :)  in short, could not get it to work, and
processing of any large file is just not possible b/c it locks up the PC pretty
quickly as the swap is written to.. C:\...*some*place*... :)

if someone knows exact cmd, i can try it here, this is windows 10 and I'm new to
gimp, etc, so don't assume much :)

--
stormy (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: GIMP SWAP Folder not honored

Michael Schumacher
On 9/19/18 7:59 PM, stormy wrote:

> if someone knows exact cmd, i can try it here, this is windows 10 and I'm new to
> gimp, etc, so don't assume much :)

I'd try to set the environment variable XDG_CACHE_HOME to e.g.
f:\temp\gegl and see if this changes anything.

See
https://superuser.com/questions/949560/how-do-i-set-system-environment-variables-in-windows-10
if you need advice on how to set these on Windows 10.

stormy wrote:
> Thanks for all these details.  I'm not a developer,

The detail I posted was mainly aimed at developers who might pick this
up, in case they're not familiar with Windows conventions.

> tried shortcut from:
>
> c:\Users\myuser\.cache\gegl-0.4\
>
> to f:\temp\gegl0.4, but the short cut has a .lnk extension, removing it made the
> shortcut have a .4 extension :)  in short, could not get it to work, and
> processing of any large file is just not possible b/c it locks up the PC pretty
> quickly as the swap is written to.. C:\...*some*place*... :)
>
> if someone knows exact cmd, i can try it here, this is windows 10 and I'm new to
> gimp, etc, so don't assume much :)

A shortcut probably won't work for this purpose. As you found, they have
a .lnk extension, and the way they're handled by the OS doesn't do
what's needed.

You might be able to achieve the right effect with an NTFS "directory
junction". Windows doesn't provide a GUI for creating those, but it can
be done from the command prompt. I believe you need to run the command
prompt as administrator to do this.

1. Close GIMP.

2. Move "C:\Users\myuser\.cache\gegl-0.4" to "F:\temp\gegl0.4".

3. In Windows' Start menu, search for the "Command Prompt", right-click
it and select "Run as administrator".

4. Enter the following command to create a directory junction:
   mklink /J "C:\Users\myuser\.cache\gegl-0.4" "F:\temp\gegl0.4"

5. Enter the following command to check:
   dir "C:\Users\myuser\.cache\"
In the output, you should see something like:
   DD/MM/YYYY  HH:MM    <JUNCTION>    gegl-0.4 [F:\temp\gegl0.4]

Opening "C:\Users\myuser\.cache\gegl-0.4" in Windows Explorer will look
like it's showing a directory at that path - the address bar will still
show "C:\Users\myuser\.cache\gegl-0.4", not "F:\temp\gegl0.4". However,
what appears to be the content of that directory is actually stored at
"F:\temp\gegl0.4", and any files created in one location will also show
up in the other. Any other application (such as GIMP) will also believe
it's working with files under "C:\Users\myuser\.cache\gegl-0.4", when
they're actually stored under "F:\temp\gegl0.4".

Hopefully that works. If not, the most likely difficulty is the "mklink"
command. If you get any errors, be sure to mention the exact text of any
messages.

--
Mark.

Michael Schumacher wrote:

> On 9/19/18 7:59 PM, stormy wrote:
>
>> if someone knows exact cmd, i can try it here, this is windows 10 and I'm new to
>> gimp, etc, so don't assume much :)
>
> I'd try to set the environment variable XDG_CACHE_HOME to e.g.
> f:\temp\gegl and see if this changes anything.
>
> See
> https://superuser.com/questions/949560/how-do-i-set-system-environment-variables-in-windows-10
> if you need advice on how to set these on Windows 10.

Try this before my suggestion - if it works, this is easier (and less
confusing in future) than mucking around with directory junctions!

--
Mark.

GIMP SWAP Folder not honored

billlee
>Michael Schumacher wrote:
>Try this before my suggestion - if it works, this is easier (and less
>confusing in future) than mucking around with directory junctions!

yes, by all means, thanks for the junction, not sure why it's so complex in
Win..

anyways, tested: environment variable XDG_CACHE_HOME=f:\tmp\gimp , put it on
USER level, without logoff or anything, just re-launch GIMP, and instantly these
directories got created:

[code]
Directory of F:\tmp\gimp

21-Sep-18  12:15 AM    <DIR>          .
21-Sep-18  12:15 AM    <DIR>          ..
21-Sep-18  12:15 AM    <DIR>          fontconfig
21-Sep-18  12:14 AM    <DIR>          gegl-0.4
21-Sep-18  12:15 AM    <DIR>          thumbnails
               0 File(s)              0 bytes
[/code]

this looks very promising, will run heavy operations and u can assume if works
if you don't hear again :) :)

--
stormy (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)