GIMP 2.9.x AppImage package

aferrero1975
Dear gimp developers and enthusiasts,

since a while I am working on a AppImage package for GIMP 2.9.x, built from the latest git versions of BABL/GEGL/GIMP.

After quite some improvements by trial-and-error, I think that the package is now ready to be used and tested by a wider audience.

The compilation and creation of the AppImage package is automated via bash and jhbuild, and the whole set of scripts and configuration files is available on GitHub: https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage <https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage>
I am currently building the AppImage on a Linux Mint 17 system, but theoretically anyone should be able to create the package using the provided scripts…
Most of the dependencies are compiled from sources, so that they do not depend on what is available/installed on the system used for building the AppImage.

The main advantages of using an AppImage are:
* the software uses its own bundled libraries, so that the execution environment is well defined and can be more recent than what is installed on the host system
* no installation needed, just download and run
* you can have several versions in parallel

The latest version of the AppImage is available for testing here: https://filebin.net/993vhqvwndz1dld5 <https://filebin.net/993vhqvwndz1dld5>

Would there be any interest from the GIMP team to make such a package officially available from the GIMP web site?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Re: GIMP 2.9.x AppImage package

Alexandre Prokoudine
Actually, it would ve lovely to have nightly appimage builds on gimp.org.

Alex

16 июня 2017 г. 20:00 пользователь "Carmelo DrRaw" <[hidden email]>
написал:

> Dear gimp developers and enthusiasts,
>
> since a while I am working on a AppImage package for GIMP 2.9.x, built
> from the latest git versions of BABL/GEGL/GIMP.
>
> After quite some improvements by trial-and-error, I think that the package
> is now ready to be used and tested by a wider audience.
>
> The compilation and creation of the AppImage package is automated via bash
> and jhbuild, and the whole set of scripts and configuration files is
> available on GitHub: https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage <
> https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage>
> I am currently building the AppImage on a Linux Mint 17 system, but
> theoretically anyone should be able to create the package using the
> provided scripts…
> Most of the dependencies are compiled from sources, so that they do not
> depend on what is available/installed on the system used for building the
> AppImage.
>
> The main advantages of using an AppImage are:
> * the software uses its own bundled libraries, so that the execution
> environment is well defined and can be more recent than what is installed
> on the host system
> * no installation needed, just download and run
> * you can have several versions in parallel
>

> The latest version of the AppImage is available for testing here:
> https://filebin.net/993vhqvwndz1dld5 <https://filebin.net/993vhqvwndz1dld5
> >

> Would there be any interest from the GIMP team to make such a package
> officially available from the GIMP web site?
>

> Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Re: GIMP 2.9.x AppImage package

aferrero1975
I guess the best would be to try running my scripts on the gimp build server, and fix possible issues… to whom should I talk about the details?