GIMP 2.8.16 on VDI Platform

Users mailing list
Hello Team,

As you know due to COVID-19, all the Academic Institutes across Australia have compulsorily planned to deliver the Academic requirements to be accessed from home, as such Latrobe University is no exception.

In the light of present situation Latrobe is building a VDI (Virtual Desktop Interface) for staff and students to access the software and have a distance learning environment. I am aware that GIMP 2.8.16 is a freeware with no restrictions of usage, however I could not find any limitations/restrictions related to Virtual Desktop Interface on your website.

Does your Software Licensing Agreement allow a Virtual Interface / Access for GIMP 2.8.16.

Latrobe would really appreciate your co-operation and assistance in helping us in this situation.
Kindly enlighten us if we can proceed in providing a Virtual Environment Access to students.

Awaiting a quick response.

Thanks & Regards
Shravani Gopishetty

IT Asset Officer
Information Services | La Trobe University | Victoria 3086
T: +61 3 9479 8837 | M: +61 481 372 327 | E: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> | www.latrobe.edu.au<https://www.latrobe.edu.au/>
[cid:image001.png@01D62849.24E85D60]<https://www.latrobe.edu.au/>

Re: GIMP 2.8.16 on VDI Platform

Michael Schumacher

On 5/12/20 2:36 AM, Software Manager via gimp-user-list wrote:

> Hello Team,

Hi Shravani,

> As you know due to COVID-19, all the Academic Institutes across
> Australia have compulsorily planned to deliver the Academic
> requirements to be accessed from home, as such Latrobe University is
> no exception.

> In the light of present situation Latrobe is building a VDI (Virtual
> Desktop Interface) for staff and students to access the software and
> have a distance learning environment. I am aware that GIMP 2.8.16 is
> a freeware with no restrictions of usage, however I could not find
> any limitations/restrictions related to Virtual Desktop Interface on
> your website.

> Thanks & Regards
> Shravani Gopishetty

you won't find such restrictions and limitations on www.gimp.org because
GIMP is distributed as Free Software as specified in the Free Software
Foundation's Free Software definition.

Quoting from https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html, you have the
following four essential freedoms:

"
The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0).

The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does
your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a
precondition for this.

The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help others (freedom 2).

The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others
(freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to
benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition
for this.
"

This doesn't leave any room for usage restrictions - this is the
definition's purpose, and is considered a good thing :)

But please, do consider to offer a more recent version of GIMP than
2.8.16 - the current stable version is 2.10.18.

Fw: GIMP 2.8.16 on VDI Platform

Users mailing list

________________________________
I'll just add to this that GIMP is also not under the GNU Affero Pulbic License [APL] (GIMP is vanilla GPL), and thus the Affero's consideration of access via a networked service (ie: VDI) as dissemination of the software, which would restrict this particular use case, does not apply.
________________________________
On 5/12/20 2:36 AM, Software Manager via gimp-user-list wrote:

> Hello Team,

Hi Shravani,

you won't find such restrictions and limitations on www.gimp.org<http://www.gimp.org> because
[...]

Re: Fw: GIMP 2.8.16 on VDI Platform

Michael Schumacher

On 5/12/20 9:02 PM, B. Jack via gimp-user-list wrote:

> I'll just add to this that GIMP is also not under the GNU Affero
> Pulbic License [APL] (GIMP is vanilla GPL), and thus the Affero's
> consideration of access via a networked service (ie: VDI) as
> dissemination of the software, which would restrict this particular
> use case, does not apply.

Even if GIMP was distributed under the terms of the GNU AGPL, there is this

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.en.html#section13

"Notwithstanding any other provision of this License, if you modify the
Program, your modified version must prominently offer all users
interacting with it remotely through a computer network (if your version
supports such interaction) an opportunity to receive the Corresponding
Source of your version by providing access[...]"

and this

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AGPLv3InteractingRemotely

"If the program is expressly designed to accept user requests and send
of programs that would fall into this category include web and mail
servers, interactive web-based applications, and servers for games that
are played online.

If a program is not expressly designed to interact with a user through a
network, but is being run in an environment where it happens to do so,
then it does not fall into this category. For example, an application is
not required to provide source merely because the user is running it
over SSH, or a remote X session."

So unless we claim that GIMP is a network-based image editor (and I
doubt that the current Script-Fu server really qualifies to support that
claim), this would still not give us a handle to prevent this use case -
it would only possibly guarantee access to modified source code, but I'd
find even that doubtful due to the answer to that FAQ.

If it should provide us with such handles, then I do not see how, and,
it would be good if you could point out the relevant sections of the GNU
AGPL and/or FAQ entries.