GIMP 2.10 .xcf files can't open in GIMP 2.8

GIMP 2.10 .xcf files can't open in GIMP 2.8

Techno
When I saved a file from GIMP 2.10 I found that I couldn't open it in
GIMP 2.8. What I got was the following warning, "XCF error: unsupported
XCF file version 11 encountered."

So this is a known thing, right?

Re: GIMP 2.10 .xcf files can't open in GIMP 2.8

Users mailing list
On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 3:43 AM Techno wrote:

> When I saved a file from GIMP 2.10 I found that I couldn't open it in
> GIMP 2.8. What I got was the following warning, "XCF error: unsupported
> XCF file version 11 encountered."
>
> So this is a known thing, right?

Indeed, yes. Older versions of GIMP typically can't handle newer
versions of XCF.

If you don't use masks or the fancier kind of blending modes like
linear light or hard mix, or higher bit depth precision, you can use
OpenRaster for passing multiple layers around.

On 2020-11-29 20:00, Alexandre Prokoudine via gimp-user-list wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 3:43 AM Techno wrote:
>> When I saved a file from GIMP 2.10 I found that I couldn't open it in
>> GIMP 2.8. What I got was the following warning, "XCF error: unsupported
>> XCF file version 11 encountered."
>>
>> So this is a known thing, right?
> Indeed, yes. Older versions of GIMP typically can't handle newer
> versions of XCF.
Okay, thanks. It makes sense that the saved file format would be a bit
different if you're saving more or different information in that file.
It was just an unpleasant surprise to find that I couldn't open a .xcf
file in GiMP 2.8.

Well, it's good that I can pass the version 2.8 files to 2.10. I just
have to plan which way something's going carefully.

> If you don't use masks or the fancier kind of blending modes like
> linear light or hard mix, or higher bit depth precision, you can use
> OpenRaster for passing multiple layers around.

Yeah, I'm still struggling with the issues around where to put scripts
and where they'd show up in GIMP. I'm far from doing anything that's
actually advanced.

Re: GIMP 2.10 .xcf files can't open in GIMP 2.8

Users mailing list
I guess you could export them to some other format and import them into an
earlier version. If you really need to do it.

Cheers,

Cliff

My Amazon author page : https://amazon.com/author/cliffpratt
My Facebook author page : https://www.facebook.com/cliffprattauthor
My Search on Kobo : https://www.kobo.com/search?query=Cliff+Pratt

On Wed, 2020-12-02 at 13:00 -0500, Techno wrote:

> Well, it's good that I can pass the version 2.8 files to 2.10. I just
> have to plan which way something's going carefully.

When you do Save As in 2.10, you'll see the bottom of the dialogue
gives you the chance to save with "slower but better compression", and
if you hover there you get a list of 2.10 features you are using that
prevent 2.8 from interpreting the file.

The least obvious is probably layer modes - you will need to switch
each layer back to the legacy layer modes by clicking on the icon just
to the right of the layer mode drop down.

The most obvious is probably that 2.8 is limited to 8-bit per channel
encoding (precision).

So if you go through and remove new features you can save for 2.8, but
of course this may affect the appearance of the image.

ankh

slave ankh on IRC