[Fwd: [CentOS] Gutenprint - Gimp - Color pcl files]

[Fwd: [CentOS] Gutenprint - Gimp - Color pcl files]

Gregory P. Ennis
Everyone,

I am trying to create a 'color' *.pcl from a pdf file with the use of
gimp and the gutenprint gimp plugin.   I have done this easily to
create a black & white *.pcl file, but have not found a way to create a
file that contains the 'color' commands for an HP laser printer.

I am running Centos 7.5 with all of the latest updates.  gutenprint-
5.2.9-18.el7.x86_64 is the current version in the Centos repositories

While using the gutenprint plugin within gimp I am allowed to select
from a list of HP color printers :

HP Color LaserJet 2500
HP Color LaserJet 4500
HP Color LaserJet 4550
HP Color LaserJet 4600
HP Color LaserJet 5
HP Color LaserJet 5000
HP Color LaserJet 5500
HP Color LaserJet 8550GM

But when I use any of these I am not allowed to select 'Color' on the
output tab.

I have tried to use other drivers like 'HP DesignJet 450C'  and am able
to select color options without a problem and to produce a color *.pcl
file, but the file created obviously does not work on a hp color laser
printer.

I tried installing gutenprint 5.3.1 from https://sourceforge.net/projec
ts/gimp-print/files/gutenprint-5.3/5.3.1/ , and things seem to go well,
but I have little experience with the process, and after the
installation and reboot there were no differences with the use of the
HP Color LaserJet drivers.

I would like to be able to create a color *.pcl file for an HP Laser
printer; if any of you have suggestions as to how to do this with gimp
or even cups I would sure appreciate your help.  I originally posted
this note on the Centos User's list, but got no response.  After
thinking about things I really should have posted it here.

Thank you ahead of time for your help

--
Greg Ennis

Re: [Fwd: [CentOS] Gutenprint - Gimp - Color pcl files]

Robert Krawitz-2
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 18:18:25 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> I am trying to create a 'color' *.pcl from a pdf file with the use of
> gimp and the gutenprint gimp plugin.   I have done this easily to
> create a black & white *.pcl file, but have not found a way to create a
> file that contains the 'color' commands for an HP laser printer.

This question really belongs on
[hidden email], but no mind, since I'm here.
But please reply off-list, since I can help you directly as the
Gutenprint project lead.

> I am running Centos 7.5 with all of the latest updates.  gutenprint-
> 5.2.9-18.el7.x86_64 is the current version in the Centos repositories

You will need to download and build (from source) Gutenprint 5.2.14,
from here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-print/files/gutenprint-5.2/5.2.14/

> While using the gutenprint plugin within gimp I am allowed to select
> from a list of HP color printers :
>
> HP Color LaserJet 2500
> HP Color LaserJet 4500
> HP Color LaserJet 4550
> HP Color LaserJet 4600
> HP Color LaserJet 5
> HP Color LaserJet 5000
> HP Color LaserJet 5500
> HP Color LaserJet 8550GM
>
> But when I use any of these I am not allowed to select 'Color' on the
> output tab.
>
> I have tried to use other drivers like 'HP DesignJet 450C'  and am able
> to select color options without a problem and to produce a color *.pcl
> file, but the file created obviously does not work on a hp color laser
> printer.
>
> I tried installing gutenprint 5.3.1 from https://sourceforge.net/projec
> ts/gimp-print/files/gutenprint-5.3/5.3.1/ , and things seem to go well,
> but I have little experience with the process, and after the
> installation and reboot there were no differences with the use of the
> HP Color LaserJet drivers.

5.3.1 does support color printing from color laser printers.  I'd
suggest 5.2.14 for now, though; 5.3.1 is fairly new.

After you run make install, you need to run cups-genppdupdate.  If you
use 5.3.1, you would need to run cups-genppdupdate -x.
--
Robert Krawitz                                     <[hidden email]>

***  MIT Engineers   A Proud Tradition   http://mitathletics.com  ***
Member of the League for Programming Freedom  --  http://ProgFree.org
Project lead for Gutenprint   --    http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net

--Eric Crampton

Re: [Fwd: [CentOS] Gutenprint - Gimp - Color pcl files]

Gregory P. Ennis
Everyone,

I apologize for posting this again, it looks like I am not getting any
takers on this problem.

If any of you can direct me as to where to look for a solution I would
greatly appreciate it.  gimp has been a wonderful tool for me to be
able to create pcl macros for hp type printers, and I have many forms
that I store as pcl macros of a document that are then merge with data
to on the fly; all of these are in black and white.  We purchased some
color printers, and now I would like to create 'color' forms stored as
macro commands in hp pcl5 printers.  I would surely appreciate anyone's
help in making this happen.
--
Greg Ennis

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 10:23:53 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> I apologize for posting this again, it looks like I am not getting any
> takers on this problem.
>
> If any of you can direct me as to where to look for a solution I would
> greatly appreciate it.  gimp has been a wonderful tool for me to be
> able to create pcl macros for hp type printers, and I have many forms
> that I store as pcl macros of a document that are then merge with data
> to on the fly; all of these are in black and white.  We purchased some
> color printers, and now I would like to create 'color' forms stored as
> macro commands in hp pcl5 printers.  I would surely appreciate anyone's
> help in making this happen.

I replied to you offlist.  Check your spam folder in case my message
got dropped.  I'm the project lead for Gutenprint.

The bottom line solution is to install Gutenprint 5.2.14, which
properly supports most color laser printers.