Fonts legal?

Users mailing list
Hello dear Gimp team,

thank you for developing this program for us people.

My question is, are all the fonts contained in Gimp commercially usable?

Or do I need a special permit?

I thank you for your help.

Sincerely yours
Ömer

Re: Fonts legal?

Liam R E Quin
On Wed, 2020-01-08 at 21:10 +0100, Ö. via gimp-user-list wrote:

> My question is, are all the fonts contained in Gimp commercially
> usable?

Which fonts are these? The standard GIMP distribution doesn't include
fonts (except on some platforms for WMF and PostScript support, and
those you can use freely).

But if you got GIMP from somewhere other than gimp.org directly, it
might include fonts, and then it would depend on what is included.

Normally GIMP uses teh system fonts, plus any you have installed
yourself.

ankh

--
web slave for https://www.fromoldbooks.org/

Re: Fonts legal?

Liam R E Quin
On Thu, 2020-01-09 at 20:50 +0100, Ö. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I downloaded gimp via chip.de.

We cannot vouch for anything added by distributors other than gimp.

>   after that I didn't download any fonts. So
> the standard.  are these fonts therefore free and freely usable?
>
> Melgun Gothic is for example one font.

There's a Korean font called Malgun Gothic developed for Microsoft to
include in Microsoft Windows, is that the one you mean?

If you are using Microsoft Windows in Korea, that font probably came
with your system. You can use it in any way that Microsoft allows in
the End User License for Microsoft Windows.

This isn't about GIMP - the answer would be the same with any progam
that used that font. What you can do with a font is usually up to the
font itself - well the people selling the font, or providing it to you
- and not up to the software you use with the font.

slave ankh