Font formats in GIMP

Barton Bosch
This might be slightly OT, my apologies if it causes any
inconvenience.  I just got some new fonts and am not quite sure
how/if I can use some of them.

The TTF fonts are familiar;  I just put them into my font directory.
  There are also a few .AFM (Adobe?) fonts.  I found other .afm
files on my (fedora) machine.  Are these only for acrobat and
printing?  Can I use them with The Gimp?  How can/would I install them.

Then there are .wfn fonts which are apparently some proprietary
Corel format and are nowhere to be found on my machine.  Are these
Gimp/Linux compatible at all?

Thanks,

Barton
--
"Concern for man himself and his fate must always be the chief
interest of all technical endeavors.... In order that the creations