File -> Open results in hang/crash

Peter Bell
I'm running on Linux Mint 19.0.  This included GIMP 2.8.22.

I found that using the File -> Open menu option in GIMP results in hang
after selecting the file to open in the 'Open Image' window and clicking
the 'Open' button.

Googling this problem showed that others (mainly Windows users) were
experiencing a similar problem, but I didn't find any solution which
helped me.  However, I did find reference to the GIMP 2.10 release, so
used the PPA to upgrade (having uninstalled 2.8, as advised).  This
yielded GIMP 2.10.8.  However, I find that the exact same problem
afflicts my v2.10.8 install.

Opening the file from the Nemo 'Open With' option and selecting GIMP
works perfectly.

How can I resolve the problem with the GIMP built-in File -> Open option?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to raise this problem.  I have
looked at the GIMP FAQ and I have read through recent archives of this
mail list without finding any help.