Export to pdf

Uwe Sassnowski
Hello,

I designed a brochure in gimp with several picture and text levels / layers. Then I combined all pictures and texts to one layer and exported it to pdf. I sent the pdf to the printing company for printing. The print was not in a perfect quality. The printing company told us that they normally get pdf's from their clients where they can make changes to improve the quality. I tried to export to pdf without combining all layers. But then all texts are changed in format. I can create pictures from the text layers. But then I and the printing company cannot go into the text anymore. Is there a way to export to pdf all single pictures and texts without combining all layers so that the printing company can touch all pictures and texts and to reach a higher quality print?

With best regards,
Uwe

Re: Export to pdf

Kevin Cozens-2
On 2019-05-03 9:00 a.m., Uwe Sassnowski wrote:
> But then all texts are changed in format. I can create pictures from the
> text layers. But then I and the printing company cannot go into the text
> anymore.

If the single layer PDF you generated had the right look to text outputting
a multi-layer version should not change the appearance of the text. You need
to do an export to PDF from the original multi-layer XCF file on a machine
that has the fonts installed which are referenced by the XCF file.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick

Re: Export to pdf

Hi!

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 10:07 PM Uwe Sassnowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I designed a brochure in gimp with several picture and text levels /
> layers. Then I combined all pictures and texts to one layer and exported it
> to pdf. I sent the pdf to the printing company for printing. The print was
> not in a perfect quality. The printing company told us that they normally
> get pdf's from their clients where they can make changes to improve the
> quality. I tried to export to pdf without combining all layers. But then
> all texts are changed in format. I can create pictures from the text
> layers. But then I and the printing company cannot go into the text
> anymore. Is there a way to export to pdf all single pictures and texts
> without combining all layers so that the printing company can touch all
> pictures and texts and to reach a higher quality print?

I can't remember if our implementation for PDF export rasterize text or
not. In any case, if you want to lay out various items and similar
activities common for printed objects, I would suggest to use Inkscape
and/or Scribus. I mean: you can still use GIMP for obviously raster parts
(drawing, photographs, etc.). But when it comes to complex designs,
Inkscape may be the most appropriate tool. And if you have objects to set
precisely on your page, Scribus may be better suited (it won't do that much
more than what Inkscape does, simply it's rather *how* it does it which may
make it much more straightforward when you think in term of print).

Now GIMP can also work very fine, even if you have texts. But then you have
to understand well the printing process to provide a perfect raster object
to the printshop and not expect them to edit it (we certainly don't want
printshops to edit our designs in fact!).

Jehan

> With best regards,
> Uwe

ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net
Patreon: https://patreon.com/zemarmot
Tipeee: https://www.tipeee.com/zemarmot

Re: Export to pdf

Users mailing list
john and uwe,
here, here. i agree whole-heartedly. gimp is a raster (pixel) based program
while inkscape is a vector (number) based program which produces "smooth"
outlines. scribus is a page layout program that handles the job of
combining raster images, vector images and text into a neat package that a
good print shop can execute a quality finished product of your design.

scribus exports directly to pdf and produces a cmyk file that is "print
ready". design tools are just that, tools. would use a screw driver to try
and pry a nail from a board? you would choose the appropriate tool for the
job, correct? even though gimp can be used to design a page, inkscape is a
better choice of the two. however, even though inkscape is a good program
to use for page design, scribus is better. scribus will allow you to import
text from an open document format (open office or libreoffice); it will
also allow you to import a .svg (scaleable vector graphic) image or an
adobe illustrator image. however, i have found that certain illy files
after illustrator 9 will not import. but be not dismayed, illustrator will
convert your image to the .svg format for importation.

for my work flow, i use a raster editor (gimp, photoshop, etc.) to size,
color correct, etc. photographs; i use a vector editor (inkscape,
illustrator, corel draw, etc.) to produce and size vector drawings and
usually export to the .tif format (tif files contain more information than
jpeg or png files - most commercial print shops prefer tif files for this
reason); and i use a page layout program (scribus, indesign, quark express,
etc.) to put the design elements together for the purpose of producing a
print ready pdf file that produces a quality finished product.

i need to mention that "properly" sizing a raster image is most important.
most commercial printers use a certain image resolution for different types
of paper and the "use" of the image. for instance, a fine art print would
be printed at 175 dpi while a newsprint image would be printed at 75-80
dpi. all this depends on the paper used for the job. i usually use 300 dpi
for raster images and size the image according to the size i want to
produce on the page. most vector images are either 300 or 600 dpi,
depending on the program i use to produce them.

scribus will allow you to draw a container for an image and the program can
size a large or small image to the container, but a 72 dpi image enlarged
by this process will produce an ugly final image on the paper. there are
some commercial printers that cannot print a scribus pdf file. since adobe
is the "industry standard" software they calibrate their printers to adobe.
small print shops use corel draw as their standard software. in this case,
you can provide a native file with accompanying fonts in the file for
printing. for most jobs where i use corel draw, i will convert text to
curves so i don't have to provide fonts to the printer. and don't assume a
printer knows how to print from a pdf. i have run across one that didn't
understand that he didn't have to import my pdf into draw to print it. i
guess he didn't know he could print from a pdf viewer to his chosen
printer. but i digress. a page layout program is also a type setter. you
can kern letters and paragraphs for "readability". i'm sure you have seen
where some of your letters in a particular font will look closer together
than other letters when printed. although raster and vector programs have
the same capability, page layout programs do it better, because that's how
they are designed.

color management is key to the whole process, but that's another
conversation all together.

hope this helps.

On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 7:49 AM Jehan Pagès via gimp-user-list <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 10:07 PM Uwe Sassnowski <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I designed a brochure in gimp with several picture and text levels /
> > layers. Then I combined all pictures and texts to one layer and exported
> it
> > to pdf. I sent the pdf to the printing company for printing. The print
> was
> > not in a perfect quality. The printing company told us that they normally
> > get pdf's from their clients where they can make changes to improve the
> > quality. I tried to export to pdf without combining all layers. But then
> > all texts are changed in format. I can create pictures from the text
> > layers. But then I and the printing company cannot go into the text
> > anymore. Is there a way to export to pdf all single pictures and texts
> > without combining all layers so that the printing company can touch all
> > pictures and texts and to reach a higher quality print?
> >

> I can't remember if our implementation for PDF export rasterize text or
> not. In any case, if you want to lay out various items and similar
> activities common for printed objects, I would suggest to use Inkscape
> and/or Scribus. I mean: you can still use GIMP for obviously raster parts
> (drawing, photographs, etc.). But when it comes to complex designs,
> Inkscape may be the most appropriate tool. And if you have objects to set
> precisely on your page, Scribus may be better suited (it won't do that much
> more than what Inkscape does, simply it's rather *how* it does it which may
> make it much more straightforward when you think in term of print).
>
> Now GIMP can also work very fine, even if you have texts. But then you have
> to understand well the printing process to provide a perfect raster object
> to the printshop and not expect them to edit it (we certainly don't want
> printshops to edit our designs in fact!).
>
> Jehan
>

> > With best regards,
> > Uwe

> ZeMarmot open animation film
> http://film.zemarmot.net
> Liberapay: https://liberapay.com/ZeMarmot/
> Patreon: https://patreon.com/zemarmot
> Tipeee: https://www.tipeee.com/zemarmot

Re: Export to pdf

Uwe Sassnowski
Hello Jehan and Dwain,

I thank you very much for your helpful answeres! All this makes realy
sense. I now started to work with Scribus. To be honest I had some
program crashes (I think because of my unknowingness in the first steps
:)) and some color fields are difficult to design. But all in all it is
easy to handle. You are right that this seems to be the correct program
to make our print material. I made some test pdf's and it looks realy
good. It will take some time to be on the same point where I was with
gimp. I hope that our printer shop accept the pdf, but I have a good
feeling, they are professional. I look forward to my first print. Thank
you again! Nice to have such professional help!

With best regards,
Uwe

Am 10.05.2019 um 13:19 schrieb Dwain Alford:

> [...]
>     raster parts
>     (drawing, photographs, etc.). But when it comes to complex designs,
>     Inkscape may be the most appropriate tool. And if you have objects
>     to set
>     precisely on your page, Scribus may be better suited (it won't do
>     that much
>     more than what Inkscape does, simply it's rather *how* it does it
>     which may
>     make it much more straightforward when you think in term of print).
>
>     Now GIMP can also work very fine, even if you have texts. But then
>     you have
>     to understand well the printing process to provide a perfect
>     raster object
>     to the printshop and not expect them to edit it (we certainly
>     don't want
>     printshops to edit our designs in fact!).

uwe, et. al.,
one final thought. your commercial printer can help you work more
proficiently with them, all you have to do is ask. be sure to subscribe to
the scribus mailing list. there is an active community of users along with
the developers ready to help resolve design problems with accurate how-to
information, just like on this list.

best,
dwain

On Sat, May 11, 2019 at 11:36 PM Uwe Saßnowski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> activities common for printed objects, I would suggest to use Inkscape
>> and/or Scribus. I mean: you can still use GIMP for obviously raster parts
>> (drawing, photographs, etc.). But when it comes to complex designs,
>> Inkscape may be the most appropriate tool. And if you have objects to set
>> precisely on your page, Scribus may be better suited (it won't do that
>> much
>> more than what Inkscape does, simply it's rather *how* it does it which
>> may
>> make it much more straightforward when you think in term of print).
>>
>> Now GIMP can also work very fine, even if you have texts. But then you
>> have
>> to understand well the printing process to provide a perfect raster object
>> to the printshop and not expect them to edit it (we certainly don't want
>> printshops to edit our designs in fact!).

Konrad
Hi Uwe,

I am not familiar with Scribus. But if you create a pdf  there could be
a problem:
Please take care that the text in your script is marked "black" and NOT
"automatically".
If text is "black" only the black toner / ink is used. "Automatically"
means that
black is mixed together with cmyk. I almost had a heart attack when my
copy-shop
demanded about 200 Euros for  a pdf text-manuscript of 400 pages.

Best regards

Konrad

Am 12.05.2019 um 23:26 schrieb Dwain Alford via gimp-user-list:

> [...]
>>> activities common for printed objects, I would suggest to use Inkscape
>>> and/or Scribus. I mean: you can still use GIMP for obviously raster parts
>>> (drawing, photographs, etc.). But when it comes to complex designs,
>>> Inkscape may be the most appropriate tool. And if you have objects to set
>>> precisely on your page, Scribus may be better suited (it won't do that
>>> much
>>> more than what Inkscape does, simply it's rather *how* it does it which
>>> may
>>> make it much more straightforward when you think in term of print).
>>>
>>> Now GIMP can also work very fine, even if you have texts. But then you
>>> have
>>> to understand well the printing process to provide a perfect raster object
>>> to the printshop and not expect them to edit it (we certainly don't want
>>> printshops to edit our designs in fact!).

hi konrad,
2 euros a page for a manuscript isn't so bad. what would the price have
been if the printer used four colors instead of one? were there any color
images (photos, graphs, etc)? if there were color images as well as text
set to black, then the color increased the price and also caused a double
print session, one (plate) for the color and one (plate) for the text. btw,
did you ask for an estimate on the cost of the job when you took the
manuscript to the printer? finally, in most software, the text color
default is automatic. maybe you might want to check your text color
settings before your next printing job and get an estimate before the job
is printed. that way, there are no surprises on your end.

scribus sets the output to cmyk when you set the color tab in the pdf
export to print. the screen / web is for screen use or printing with an
inkjet printer. as i mentioned to uwe, your commercial printer will help
you if you ask. it is to the their benefit to help you work within their
workflow.

cheers,
dwain

On Sun, May 19, 2019 at 7:25 AM Konrad Bauersachs <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> printer. and don't assume a printer knows how to print from a pdf. i
> have
> >> run across one that didn't understand that he didn't have to import my
> pdf
> >> into draw to print it. i guess he didn't know he could print from a pdf
> >> viewer to his chosen printer. but i digress. a page layout program is
> also
> >> a type setter. you can kern letters and paragraphs for "readability".
> i'm
> >> sure you have seen where some of your letters in a particular font will
> >> look closer together than other letters when printed. although raster
> and
> >> vector programs have the same capability, page layout programs do it
> >> better, because that's how they are designed.
> >>
> >> color management is key to the whole process, but that's another

Hi Dwain,

my only intention for printing was to have a "first sight" on a printout
of my script to make layout corretions,
not to get a first-class product on high qualitiy paper. (not on a 115g
/ m² paper :-)
I told my printer beforehand what I'm  wanting but he finally surprised
me with with an exorbital price.
But at least I negotiated and paid for the low-price-version.

I just wrote to the forum to inform others that choosing "automatic"
text may cause unexpeted high-end-costs

Have a fine day!

Konrad

Am 19.05.2019 um 16:34 schrieb Dwain Alford:

> [...]
>     objects to set
>     >>> precisely on your page, Scribus may be better suited (it won't
>     do that
>     >>> much
>     >>> more than what Inkscape does, simply it's rather *how* it does
>     it which
>     >>> may
>     >>> make it much more straightforward when you think in term of
>     print).
>     >>>
>     >>> Now GIMP can also work very fine, even if you have texts. But
>     then you
>     >>> have
>     >>> to understand well the printing process to provide a perfect
>     raster object
>     >>> to the printshop and not expect them to edit it (we certainly
>     don't want
>     >>> printshops to edit our designs in fact!).

Re: Export to pdf

Archeo