Export to DNG raw file?

rich404
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
GIMP 2.10.6

Via darktable, GIMP can open a DNG raw file written by Vuescan.  Can GIMP export
to a DNG file?

After opening an image via darktable, I crop it.
I wish to export the result to a DNG file.

GIMP's File Type list offers "Raw image data" with extensions "data" and "raw".

Exporting to a "data" file and then opening the file produces a nonsense image.

Exporting and then opening a "raw" file produces "Image filename.raw is not
available" from darktable.  Exiting darktable produces the GIMP message "Raw
Pentax PEF plug-In could not open image".

--
Punchcard (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Export to DNG raw file?

Ofnuts-2
On 09/25/18 01:28, Punchcard wrote:

> Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
> GIMP 2.10.6
>
> Via darktable, GIMP can open a DNG raw file written by Vuescan.  Can GIMP export
> to a DNG file?
>
> After opening an image via darktable, I crop it.
> I wish to export the result to a DNG file.
>
> GIMP's File Type list offers "Raw image data" with extensions "data" and "raw".
>
> Exporting to a "data" file and then opening the file produces a nonsense image.
>
> Exporting and then opening a "raw" file produces "Image filename.raw is not
> available" from darktable.  Exiting darktable produces the GIMP message "Raw
> Pentax PEF plug-In could not open image".

The "raw" format that Gimp exports is just the bitmap data (more or less
the TGA format without headers) and has no relationship with the "raw"
image from a camera.

No real point exporting to DNG, though. Why would you want to do that?
IF you want high-bit-depth storage, you can use TIFF.

Export to DNG raw file?

rich404
>The "raw" format that Gimp exports is just the bitmap data (more or
>less
>the TGA format without headers) and has no relationship with the "raw"
>image from a camera.
>

>No real point exporting to DNG, though. Why would you want to do that?
>IF you want high-bit-depth storage, you can use TIFF.

Thanks!

Being a newbie, I thought it would be handy to have a RAW file, in case I wanted
to roll it back into VueScan or some other program, without any processing.
Now that I am somewhat less a newbie, and in light of your advice, I don't see
why I would need to do that, and I can be satisfied with TIFF.

--
Punchcard (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)