Quantcast

Ending a selection

oneaty
I was advised that there is no general purpose cursor to make selections in GIMP
- that the selection is made with the tool used. If that's the case, when a
selection is created by a tool (example text tool) how do you get rid of the
selection mode outlines? And say for example I add text, but then want to move
it when there is no cursor to move it with? I can't figure out how to deselect
things - there's nothing in help about this.

The lack of a general select tool as in P'shop is really throwing me for a loop.
I seem to be missing the general concept of this that is very basic to
successful use of this program.

--
Boxman (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Ending a selection

Michael Schumacher
On 02/11/2017 02:18 PM, Boxman wrote:

> I was advised that there is no general purpose cursor to make selections in GIMP
> - that the selection is made with the tool used. If that's the case, when a
> selection is created by a tool (example text tool) how do you get rid of the
> selection mode outlines?

There, you're not seeing a selection, but the layer boundary.

> And say for example I add text, but then want to move
> it when there is no cursor to move it with?

You can use the move tool.

Re: Ending a selection

Pat David
There is no "general purpose select tool" in Ps either that I'm aware of.
You choose a tool to do what you want, the "selection" is a function of
what you want to accomplish.
On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 8:00 AM Michael Schumacher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/11/2017 02:18 PM, Boxman wrote:
>
> > I was advised that there is no general purpose cursor to make selections
> in GIMP
> > - that the selection is made with the tool used. If that's the case,
> when a
> > selection is created by a tool (example text tool) how do you get rid of
> the
> > selection mode outlines?
>
> There, you're not seeing a selection, but the layer boundary.
>
> > And say for example I add text, but then want to move
> > it when there is no cursor to move it with?
>
> You can use the move tool.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Michael
> GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD

Pat David
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC

Ending a selection

oneaty
>I was advised that there is no general purpose cursor to make
>selections in GIMP - that the selection is made with the tool used. If
>that's the case, when a selection is created by a tool (example text
>tool) how do you get rid of the selection mode outlines? And say for
>example I add text, but then want to move it when there is no cursor
>to move it with? I can't figure out how to deselect things - there's
>nothing in help about this.
>
>The lack of a general select tool as in P'shop is really throwing me
>for a loop. I seem to be missing the general concept of this that is
>very basic to successful use of this program.

Do not like the mailing list format? There are other active forums where you can
get assistance.

try

http://gimpchat.com

http://bakon.ca/gimplearn

www.gimp-forum.net

For examples of the gimp selection tools and usage try

http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Gimp-selection-tools-for-beginners?pid=296#pid296

Re: Ending a selection

Joel Rees
On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 10:18 PM, Boxman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was advised that there is no general purpose cursor to make selections in GIMP
> - that the selection is made with the tool used.

That seems to be an odd point of view to take to me.

> If that's the case, when a
> selection is created by a tool (example text tool) how do you get rid of the
> selection mode outlines?

Aside from the difference between layer and path and selection,
selection can be canceled in the Edit menu. But you knew that, I
suppose.

> And say for example I add text, but then want to move
> it when there is no cursor to move it with?

I wouldn't call the temporary/floating text layer a selection.

As Michael says, though, the move tool can help you there. It moves
floating layers too, if you do it right.

> I can't figure out how to deselect
> things - there's nothing in help about this.

Combining floating layers with lower layers is maybe what you want to do?

> The lack of a general select tool as in P'shop is really throwing me for a loop.
> I seem to be missing the general concept of this that is very basic to
> successful use of this program.

Photoshop also has paths and layers. I'm not sure about Photoshop Elements.

Am I being obtuse?

--
Joel Rees

I'm imagining I'm a novelist:
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html

Re: Ending a selection

On 11/02/17 14:18, Boxman wrote:
> The lack of a general select tool as in P'shop is really throwing me for a loop.
> I seem to be missing the general concept of this that is very basic to
> successful use of this program.

As they say, the problem is not learning Gimp, it is unlearning Photoshop.

When you want to "target" something it is to either:

1) Move it: the Move tool will auto-select the target. In practice it
could look like a general targeting just by replacing the "crossed
arrows" icon with a more classic pointer arrow.

2) Apply a tool to it. Some  tools will auto-select the target, others
won't. But in many cases clicking on the picture won't help, because
Gimp cannot guess which layer in the stack you want to target, which is
why there are 'Layer>Stack>Select *' menu items or the
Layers/Channels/Paths lists...

(*) I'm using "target" instead of "selection" because the selection is
something else...