Editing/replacing text on .xcf image

Rich Shepard
Running gimp-2.8.18 on Slackware-14.2.

I have a single-layer image (in .xcf format) and I want to change some of
the text on the image while maintaining the same type face and font.

I tried selecting a text string using the rectangle selector then clicked on
the selected text with the Text tool selected. No joy there.

Please point me to the proper way of editing and replacing text strings in
this GIMP version.

Regards,

Rich

Re: Editing/replacing text on .xcf image

Ofnuts-2
On 6/10/19 1:10 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Running gimp-2.8.18 on Slackware-14.2.
>
> I have a single-layer image (in .xcf format) and I want to change some of
> the text on the image while maintaining the same type face and font.
>
> I tried selecting a text string using the rectangle selector then
> clicked on
> the selected text with the Text tool selected. No joy there.
>
> Please point me to the proper way of editing and replacing text
> strings in
> this GIMP version.
>
> Regards,

On your image, you likely won't able to edit the text. Editable text in
Gimp is in special text layers. These layers can be recognized  by their
preview icon in the Layers list: instead of being a thumbnail it is a
"T" icon.

So if there is no text layer, you have to remove the text from the
existing image,  find an equivalent font, an dreconstruct a text layer
from scratch.

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019, Ofnuts wrote:

> On your image, you likely won't able to edit the text. Editable text in
> Gimp is in special text layers. These layers can be recognized  by their
> preview icon in the Layers list: instead of being a thumbnail it is a "T"
> icon.
>
> So if there is no text layer, you have to remove the text from the
> existing image, find an equivalent font, and reconstruct a text layer from
> scratch.

Okay. Thanks.

Rich

Re: Editing/replacing text on .xcf image

Kevin Cozens-2
On 2019-06-09 7:10 p.m., Rich Shepard wrote:
> I have a single-layer image (in .xcf format) and I want to change some of
> the text on the image while maintaining the same type face and font.

Ask the person who created the image to send you the multi-layer .xcf file.
If they still have that version available it will make it a lot easier to
make the change you want to make.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick