Quantcast

Editing .ico files

Christopher Dawkins

> An MS Windows desktop icon is in the .ico format. It means "Icon"
> format. A .ico format is well known too, as it is almost every icon's
> format.

How can I edit a .ico file in the Gimp? My version (2.06 on FreeBSD) does
not recognise them at present.

--
Christopher Dawkins
    Garnetts Corner, Braintree Road, Felsted, Dunmow, Essex  CM6 3DS

RE: Editing .ico files

Kalle Ounapuu
You could create a BMP file and then use a BMP to ICO converter.

Here is a webpage that does the conversion for you: http://www.html-kit.com/e/favicon.cgi Just rename "favicon" to whatever filename you want.

I think the BMP needs to be a certain mode (e.g. 24bit?) before it can convert to ICO.

Sven Neumann

Christopher Dawkins <[hidden email]> writes:

>> An MS Windows desktop icon is in the .ico format. It means "Icon"
>> format. A .ico format is well known too, as it is almost every icon's
>> format.
>
> How can I edit a .ico file in the Gimp? My version (2.06 on FreeBSD)
> does not recognise them at present.

Update to GIMP 2.2.

Sven