Drawing tools stopped working all of a sudden

Drawing tools stopped working all of a sudden

Beinsezii
Hello everyone. First and foremost a disclaimer: english isn't my mother tongue
and I'm using GIMP in my own language so the tools names translation might not
be 100% accurate.

Also, I hope I haven't posted in the wrong section of the forum, if so, I
apologize.

Been using GIMP (2.8 and just switched to the latest one) for a while now, it's
been nearly a year on this PC (Windows 7 64 bit, relatively recent hardware, 8
Gb of RAM, etc.) and it's worked smoothly up until a couple of days ago when it
stopped working as intended all of a sudden for some reason.

Whether I use my Wacom tablet or the mouse none of the tools that normally allow
you to draw (pencil, brush, airbrush, etc.) work anymore (cropping, distorting
the image and the likes work fine though), doesn't matter if it's a brand new
document or an old file.

The funny thing is that when I go to the "Edit" menu it'll allow me to rollback
and undo whatever I did with the aforementioned tools, even though there's no
trace of it on the empty canvas itself.

I tried to uninstall and install the software back but it didn't do the trick.

This is really irking me as I'm working on an illustration that is due in a week
and I basically had to stop working on it altogether because I haven't been able
to get rid of this problem (also I can't seem to find anything about this
specific issue on the net).

Any help would be greatly appreciated at this point. If you need more info just
let me know and I'll provide it asap.

Thanks in advance.

--
Retri (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Drawing tools stopped working all of a sudden

Ofnuts
On 05/11/2013 01:56 PM, Retri wrote:

> Hello everyone. First and foremost a disclaimer: english isn't my mother tongue
> and I'm using GIMP in my own language so the tools names translation might not
> be 100% accurate.
>
> Also, I hope I haven't posted in the wrong section of the forum, if so, I
> apologize.
>
> Been using GIMP (2.8 and just switched to the latest one) for a while now, it's
> been nearly a year on this PC (Windows 7 64 bit, relatively recent hardware, 8
> Gb of RAM, etc.) and it's worked smoothly up until a couple of days ago when it
> stopped working as intended all of a sudden for some reason.
>
> Whether I use my Wacom tablet or the mouse none of the tools that normally allow
> you to draw (pencil, brush, airbrush, etc.) work anymore (cropping, distorting
> the image and the likes work fine though), doesn't matter if it's a brand new
> document or an old file.
>
> The funny thing is that when I go to the "Edit" menu it'll allow me to rollback
> and undo whatever I did with the aforementioned tools, even though there's no
> trace of it on the empty canvas itself.
>
> I tried to uninstall and install the software back but it didn't do the trick.
>
> This is really irking me as I'm working on an illustration that is due in a week
> and I basically had to stop working on it altogether because I haven't been able
> to get rid of this problem (also I can't seem to find anything about this
> specific issue on the net).
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated at this point. If you need more info just
> let me know and I'll provide it asap.
>
> Thanks in advance.

My usual check list;
http://gimpforums.com/thread-when-suddenly-nothing-seems-to-work-anymore

Is the problem on all images or only on one image? If on one image, it's
more likely a selection or active later problem, otherwise it more
likely some tool setting.

Reinstalling Gimp is usually not mandated and pretty much useless. If
you can't find the tool setting that went sour you have better rename
your Gimp profile to have Gimp restart with the defaults
(http://gimpforums.com/thread-what-is-my-gimp-profile-and-where-do-i-find-it).

Drawing tools stopped working all of a sudden

Beinsezii
>My usual check list;
>http://gimpforums.com/thread-when-suddenly-nothing-seems-to-work-anymore
>
>Is the problem on all images or only on one image? If on one image,
>it's
>more likely a selection or active later problem, otherwise it more
>likely some tool setting.
>
>Reinstalling Gimp is usually not mandated and pretty much useless. If
>you can't find the tool setting that went sour you have better rename
>your Gimp profile to have Gimp restart with the defaults
>(http://gimpforums.com/thread-what-is-my-gimp-profile-and-where-do-i-find-it).

I had this issue on every single image, even on new, blank ones.

I solved the problem by uninstalling the software again and deleting every
GIMP-related folder in C:\Users\(nameoftheuser)\

A fresh install then did the trick; go figure...thanks a bunch for your reply
though.

On 05/11/2013 10:23 PM, Retri wrote:

>> My usual check list;
>> http://gimpforums.com/thread-when-suddenly-nothing-seems-to-work-anymore
>>
>> Is the problem on all images or only on one image? If on one image,
>> it's
>> more likely a selection or active later problem, otherwise it more
>> likely some tool setting.
>>
>> Reinstalling Gimp is usually not mandated and pretty much useless. If
>> you can't find the tool setting that went sour you have better rename
>> your Gimp profile to have Gimp restart with the defaults
>> (http://gimpforums.com/thread-what-is-my-gimp-profile-and-where-do-i-find-it).
> I had this issue on every single image, even on new, blank ones.
>
> I solved the problem by uninstalling the software again and deleting every
> GIMP-related folder in C:\Users\(nameoftheuser)\
>
> A fresh install then did the trick; go figure...thanks a bunch for your reply
> though.

I'm pretty sure that erasing the Gimp folder under
C:\Users\(nameoftheuser)\ would have been enough. Reinstalling software
on Windows is mostly a way to reinstate the proper values in a corrupted
registry, but Gimp doesn't use the registry.

Drawing tools stopped working all of a sudden

Beinsezii
>I'm pretty sure that erasing the Gimp folder under
>C:\Users\(nameoftheuser)\ would have been enough. Reinstalling
>software
>on Windows is mostly a way to reinstate the proper values in a
>corrupted
>registry, but Gimp doesn't use the registry.

Why break GIMP?
First of all youtry to force everyone to use export as rather than saving by
extension, and now I cannot annotate a photo.
All I want to do is draw on a photo, to point out parts of an alactronic circuit
on a photo.
It simple does nothing when I try to paint on it. No explanation, nothing, just
does not work.
Is there an anemy in the camp paid by photoshop to sabotage GIMP?

--
robin48gx (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Drawing tools stopped working all of a sudden

Alexandre Prokoudine
On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 12:16 PM, robin48gx wrote:

> All I want to do is draw on a photo, to point out parts of an alactronic circuit
> on a photo.
> It simple does nothing when I try to paint on it. No explanation, nothing, just
> does not work.

Please provide a more elaborate explanation:

1. Operating system.
2. The file format of the image you are working on (better yet --
upload it somewhere and link to it), availability of layers/masks in
the project.
3. Paintbrush settings.

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 3:41 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

>> All I want to do is draw on a photo, to point out parts of an alactronic circuit
>> on a photo.
>> It simple does nothing when I try to paint on it. No explanation, nothing, just
>> does not work.
>
> Please provide a more elaborate explanation:
>
> 1. Operating system.

Oh, and the version of GIMP, of course.

Drawing tools stopped working all of a sudden

Beinsezii
>Oh, and the version of GIMP, of course.
>
>Alex

In case this helps others, this happened to me.  I had a rectangle selected on a
different layer.  Turn rectangle on and click a spot on the current layer and
then back to pencil.

--
FangoWolf (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Re: Drawing tools stopped working all of a sudden

Ofnuts-2
On 02/12/18 06:29, FangoWolf wrote:

> In case this helps others, this happened to me.  I had a rectangle selected on a
> different layer.  Turn rectangle on and click a spot on the current layer and
> then back to pencil.

You don't select "on another layer" since the selection is image-wide.
When you have a selection, most tools apply to those pixels of the
active layer that are also covered by the selection mask. Of course this
assumes that these two have a  non-empty intersection.