Downloading Images from Internet

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Downloading Images from Internet

rich404
I use Windows 10.  Recently updated to GIMP 2.10.12.  I search for an image
online, then use right mouse click to get to "Save Image As" option.  When I
select this option, the window pops up for me to name the file, but the only
"Save As Type" option I get is GIMP 2.10.12.  I no longer see options of .jpg,
.png, etc.  I have no idea where the setting might be to change the option so I
can save these files in other formats.  I don't want every file to be saved for
use in GIMP.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.  Image attached to show
issue.

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1202/original/GIMP_Issue_Screen_Shot.png

--
scyr123 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Downloading Images from Internet

Patrick Shanahan-3
* scyr123 <[hidden email]> [06-26-19 10:36]:

> I use Windows 10.  Recently updated to GIMP 2.10.12.  I search for an image
> online, then use right mouse click to get to "Save Image As" option.  When I
> select this option, the window pops up for me to name the file, but the only
> "Save As Type" option I get is GIMP 2.10.12.  I no longer see options of .jpg,
> .png, etc.  I have no idea where the setting might be to change the option so I
> can save these files in other formats.  I don't want every file to be saved for
> use in GIMP.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.  Image attached to show
> issue.
>
> Attachments:
> * https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1202/original/GIMP_Issue_Screen_Shot.png

as I do not use windows but am somewhat familiar, you have a local windows
config problem with filetypes.  maybe open explorer to a directory which
contains images and right click on one.  might present you with a config
option to choose.

--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri
http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member    facebook/ptilopteri
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net
Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                    paka @ IRCnet freenode
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Downloading Images from Internet

Elle Stone
In reply to this post by rich404
On 06/26/2019 10:34 AM, scyr123 wrote:

> I use Windows 10.  Recently updated to GIMP 2.10.12.  I search for an image
> online, then use right mouse click to get to "Save Image As" option.  When I
> select this option, the window pops up for me to name the file, but the only
> "Save As Type" option I get is GIMP 2.10.12.  I no longer see options of .jpg,
> .png, etc.  I have no idea where the setting might be to change the option so I
> can save these files in other formats.  I don't want every file to be saved for
> use in GIMP.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.  Image attached to show
> issue.
>
> Attachments:
> * https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1202/original/GIMP_Issue_Screen_Shot.png
>

Instead of "Save", try "Export". GIMP "Save" only allows to save as an
XCF file. "Export" allows to "export" to disk png, jpeg, tiff, etc.

Best,
Elle

--
https://ninedegreesbelow.com
Color management and free/libre photography
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Downloading Images from Internet

rich404
In reply to this post by rich404
>I use Windows 10.  Recently updated to GIMP 2.10.12.  I search for an
>image online, then use right mouse click to get to "Save Image As"
>option.  When I select this option, the window pops up for me to name
>the file, but the only "Save As Type" option I get is GIMP 2.10.12.  I
>no longer see options of .jpg, .png, etc.  I have no idea where the
>setting might be to change the option so I can save these files in
>other formats.  I don't want every file to be saved for use in GIMP.
>Any assistance is greatly appreciated.  Image attached to show issue.

Was the Windows Installer installer gimp-2.10.12-setup-1.exe by any chance?

This latest and greatest has changed the way file associations are when Gimp is
installed.

quote>>> associations code was rewritten when moving to IS6 to work properly on
modern Windows versions (and to work with per-user installs). Instead of trying
to make GIMP the default application for file types selected during setup, it
now instead registers GIMP as being able to open all of the extensions it
supports, which lets Windows manage the associations.

see: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/3546

Already seen a couple of WTF-is-going-on type posts,  Guessing, yours is just
another manifestation of the 2000-ish registry entries that now get installed.

No real advice (move over to using linux maybe). Make sure that the common file
types jpg / jpeg / png / gif are set to use Gimp using the Windows file
associations  see:
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-file-associations-in-windows-2624477

Out of interest, what happens if you add the appropriate file extension to that
xxxxxxxx file name?

--
rich404 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Downloading Images from Internet

Steve Kinney
In reply to this post by rich404


On 6/26/19 10:34 AM, scyr123 wrote:

> I use Windows 10.  Recently updated to GIMP 2.10.12.  I search for an image
> online, then use right mouse click to get to "Save Image As" option.  When I
> select this option, the window pops up for me to name the file, but the only
> "Save As Type" option I get is GIMP 2.10.12.  I no longer see options of .jpg,
> .png, etc.  I have no idea where the setting might be to change the option so I
> can save these files in other formats.  I don't want every file to be saved for
> use in GIMP.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.  Image attached to show
> issue.
>
> Attachments:
> * https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1202/original/GIMP_Issue_Screen_Shot.png

The "Save as type" option in the dialog window should present a list
when clicked on; if it does not, that indicates that either something
changed a Windows Registry key that should contain a list of image file
types, or that something went wrong with the program (browser) that
presents the dialog.  To determine which, try downloading an image file
off a web page with a different browser.

The good news:  Regardless of the file name extension, a JPG "saved as
XCF" remains a JPG, and etc. in all but name.  To confirm this, manually
rename a saved image file from XCF to JPG (or some other common image
file extension) and "double click to open" the renamed file.  Your
default image viewer should open and display the file.  Renaming files
as you save them presents as an annoyance but not a show stopper.

You might try searching for "xcf" in Regedit or whatever Microsoft uses
to manage registry contents; if you find the offending entry you might
be able to manually restore other file extensions to the list.  Or try
asking in a Windows user support forum.  The last MS operating system I
had anything to do with was XP...

:o)






_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Downloading Images from Internet

Rick Strong-2
Umm. Just a friendly warning: If you don't know what you are doing ***DO NOT
mess around with REGEDIT or Registry edits***.

Instead, look at the image you posted, the one with the big red arrow.
Imagine the arrow pointing the other way, to the small "V" at the RH end of
that line. Click on that small "V". Do you get a dropdown list of various
file types? If so, pick what you want from it for the image you are copying.
If you don't get a dropdown list I am out of suggestions (except the warning
about staying away from REGEDIT still stands).

Rick S.

_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Downloading Images from Internet

Rick Kline
In reply to this post by Elle Stone
Elle,

scyr123 is trying to save an image from the internet, not from within Gimp.

From original post:

" I search for an image online, then use right mouse click to get to "Save Image As" option.”

Rick
 * * ** *** ***** ******** ************* *********************
It’s better to wave at a stranger than to ignore a friend
 * * ** *** ***** ******** ************* *********************



> On Jun 26, 2019, at 10:52 AM, Elle Stone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 06/26/2019 10:34 AM, scyr123 wrote:
>> I use Windows 10.  Recently updated to GIMP 2.10.12.  I search for an image
>> online, then use right mouse click to get to "Save Image As" option.  When I
>> select this option, the window pops up for me to name the file, but the only
>> "Save As Type" option I get is GIMP 2.10.12.  I no longer see options of .jpg,
>> .png, etc.  I have no idea where the setting might be to change the option so I
>> can save these files in other formats.  I don't want every file to be saved for
>> use in GIMP.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.  Image attached to show
>> issue.
>> Attachments:
>> * https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1202/original/GIMP_Issue_Screen_Shot.png
>
> Instead of "Save", try "Export". GIMP "Save" only allows to save as an XCF file. "Export" allows to "export" to disk png, jpeg, tiff, etc.
>
> Best,
> Elle
>
> --
> https://ninedegreesbelow.com <https://ninedegreesbelow.com/>
> Color management and free/libre photography
> _______________________________________________
> gimp-user-list mailing list
> List address:    [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list <https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list>
> List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list <https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list>
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Downloading Images from Internet

rich404
In reply to this post by rich404
>Was the Windows Installer installer gimp-2.10.12-setup-1.exe by any
>chance?
>
>This latest and greatest has changed the way file associations are
>when Gimp is installed.
>
>quote>>> associations code was rewritten when moving to IS6 to work
>properly on modern Windows versions (and to work with per-user
>installs). Instead of trying to make GIMP the default application for
>file types selected during setup, it now instead registers GIMP as
>being able to open all of the extensions it supports, which lets
>Windows manage the associations.
>
>see: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/3546
>
>Already seen a couple of WTF-is-going-on type posts,  Guessing, yours
>is just another manifestation of the 2000-ish registry entries that
>now get installed.
>
>No real advice (move over to using linux maybe). Make sure that the
>common file types jpg / jpeg / png / gif are set to use Gimp using the
>Windows file associations  see:
>https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-file-associations-in-windows-2624477
>
>Out of interest, what happens if you add the appropriate file
>extension to that xxxxxxxx file name?


Tried to change the extension, still came up as GIMP when I checked it in the
file folder.  I believe I found a workaround to the issue.  I had already gone
through the settings and tried to change at least .eps, .jpg, and .png files to
only open with either photos or my .eps viewer.  The workaround I found was to
download the image, then instead of just opening the image, go to the folder
where the image is located.  From there, right click the image name and select
Open With.  There I could chose either the .eps viewer or the photos.  I was
also able to check the box to say to open files of this sort with that
particular app from now on.  Problem solved for now at least.

--
scyr123 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
_______________________________________________
gimp-user-list mailing list
List address:    [hidden email]
List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
List archives:   https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list