Does this infringe GIMP's rights? Title, logo

Does this infringe GIMP's rights? Title, logo

Developers mailing list
Hello,
We are very sorry for disturbing you.
We are the developers of the Microsoft Store and want to Re-release GIMP on the Windows Store.

And when we browsed in the store, we found this app.

NAME: GIMP Free Version For Store
LOGO :
[cid:image001.png@01D6B2F0.E874EB40]

What we are confused about is whether this app violates the rights of GIMP? regarding its title and logo.
Can we use similar names and logos?

Thank you very much and look forward to your reply.

Best wishes.
John

Re: Does this infringe GIMP's rights? Title, logo

Liam R E Quin
On Wed, 2020-11-04 at 13:42 +0000, JAMES John via gimp-developer-list
wrote:
> [we] want to Re-release GIMP on the Windows Store.
>
> What we are confused about is whether this app violates the rights of
> GIMP? regarding its title and logo.

No - it's GIMP and it says it's GIMP. It must, however, also link back
to gimp.org and/or make the surce code available, so that anyone who
wants can change it, if they have a degree in image processing and
years of programming experience and cashmere wool socks :)

> Can we use similar names and logos?

Yes - GIMP is distributed under the GNU Public License v3, known as the
GPL, and so you should learn about that first.

ankh

with useless vintage art and utterly boring texts to read.
Click here to have the slave beaten.