Does GIMP have automated macro / batch processing?

Does GIMP have automated macro / batch processing?

Susmita/Rajib
Dear Sirs,
I wrote to the List Maintainers with my query and was directed to
register with the List and ask my question to the List Members.
The following was my email-query to the maintainers:
I have been using Debian/Knoppix and GIMP for nine years now.
While GIMP helps me a great deal in my very limited photo- and
picture-editing works I still don't know whether GIMP has automated
macro / batch processing.
There are some work that need to be automated. Like, I scan a book and
wish to split the scanned left-right pages separately into a left page
and a right page during post-processing.
Now if I have scanned ten pages, I would like to do likewise for all
the ten pages.
In this regard I need to write a macro/batch processing that would
help me achieve this with the click of a Run button during
post-processing.
I have not yet joined a forum or the mailing list.
If my needs could be fulfilled I would then like to join a mailing
list. Otherwise, posting my needs to the mailing list would be a
distraction for the list members.

Re: Does GIMP have automated macro / batch processing?

Alexandre Prokoudine
I have a gut feeling that what you really want is http://scantailor.org/.

Alex

3 апр. 2017 г. 14:42 пользователь "Susmita/Rajib" <[hidden email]>
написал:

> Dear Sirs,
> I wrote to the List Maintainers with my query and was directed to
> register with the List and ask my question to the List Members.
> The following was my email-query to the maintainers:
> I have been using Debian/Knoppix and GIMP for nine years now.
> While GIMP helps me a great deal in my very limited photo- and
> picture-editing works I still don't know whether GIMP has automated
> macro / batch processing.
> There are some work that need to be automated. Like, I scan a book and
> wish to split the scanned left-right pages separately into a left page
> and a right page during post-processing.
> Now if I have scanned ten pages, I would like to do likewise for all
> the ten pages.
> In this regard I need to write a macro/batch processing that would
> help me achieve this with the click of a Run button during
> post-processing.
> I have not yet joined a forum or the mailing list.
> If my needs could be fulfilled I would then like to join a mailing
> list. Otherwise, posting my needs to the mailing list would be a
> distraction for the list members.

Re: Does GIMP have automated macro / batch processing?

Susmita/Rajib
Sir,
Doesn't GIMP have such tools as I have mentioned that I require - like
batch processing / automated macros for a series of files?
Thank you for your advice.
Regards

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 6:18 PM, Susmita/Rajib wrote:
> Sir,
> Doesn't GIMP have such tools as I have mentioned that I require - like
> batch processing / automated macros for a series of files?

GIMP doesn't do macros recording. You'd have to write scripts in an
interpreted programming language.

Re: Does GIMP have automated macro / batch processing?

Susmita/Rajib
Dear Sir,
How to write scripts in an interpreted programming language which
could use GIMP?
Any advice? Any example?
Will this query be considered off-topic?

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 7:21 PM, Susmita/Rajib wrote:
> Dear Sir,
> How to write scripts in an interpreted programming language which
> could use GIMP?
> Any advice? Any example?

https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-using-script-fu-tutorial.html could
be a start.

> Will this query be considered off-topic?

Probably not? Frankly, I have no idea.

Re: Does GIMP have automated macro / batch processing?

Susmita/Rajib
Dear Sir,
Thank you for your quick and informative reply.
I am encouraged to ask: Is there a Script-Fu forum? I found some posts
in Ubuntu:Forum by Google search with the string, "script-fu forum
linux" but they are threads.
Any dedicated forum for Script-Fu?
I have perused your link. It gave me an useful lead.
I then found the link: https://docs.gimp.org/en/index.html , and
reached the following, but did not come across any relevant example:

 13. Scripting
    2. Using Script-Fu Scripts
        2.1. Script-Fu?
        2.2. Installing Script-Fus
        2.3. Do's and Don'ts
        2.4. Different Kinds Of Script-Fus
        2.5. Standalone Scripts
        2.6. Image-Dependent Scripts

    3. A Script-Fu Tutorial
        3.1. Getting Acquainted With Scheme
        3.2. Variables And Functions
        3.3. Lists, Lists And More Lists
        3.4. Your First Script-Fu Script
        3.5. Giving Our Script Some Guts
        3.6. Extending The Text Box Script
        3.7. Your script and its working

Could you (or any kind-hearted individual) provide any idea or
feedback about http://gimpchat.com ?

What I need is a script as follows:
I have a book that I have scanned. It has both the left page and the right page.
When the script is run, it will open a copy of the file in a new
window and first select the right page, wait for minor alterations in
selection, when done, will delete the selected area and autocrop the
image to have the left page. Rename the page as "file name"_left.jpg
and close the new file.
Then it will open another copy of the file, select the left page, ait
for minor alterations in selection, when done, will delete the
selected area and autocrop the image to have the right page. Rename
the page as "file name"_right.jpg and close the new file.
Any advice?
Regards

On 03/04/2017, Alexandre Prokoudine <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 7:21 PM, Susmita/Rajib wrote:
> https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-using-script-fu-tutorial.html could
> be a start.

Re: Does GIMP have automated macro / batch processing?

Rick Strong-2
If all you have are 10 pages it is faster to just do them manually. If you
have many more pages, scripting in Script-fu may be the way to go. I know
nothing about Script-fu but I did find this site. If you know programming or
scripting it may be of use to you:  http://gimpbook.com/scripting/ .

It comes from a book which may be useful to GIMP beginners generally.
"Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional ... by Akkana Peck"

Good luck.
Rick S.

Thank you for your quick and informative reply.
I am encouraged to ask: Is there a Script-Fu forum? I found some posts
in Ubuntu:Forum by Google search with the string, "script-fu forum
linux" but they are threads.
Any dedicated forum for Script-Fu?
I have perused your link. It gave me an useful lead.
I then found the link: https://docs.gimp.org/en/index.html , and
reached the following, but did not come across any relevant example:

13. Scripting
    2. Using Script-Fu Scripts
        2.1. Script-Fu?
        2.2. Installing Script-Fus
        2.3. Do's and Don'ts
        2.4. Different Kinds Of Script-Fus
        2.5. Standalone Scripts
        2.6. Image-Dependent Scripts

    3. A Script-Fu Tutorial
        3.1. Getting Acquainted With Scheme
        3.2. Variables And Functions
        3.3. Lists, Lists And More Lists
        3.4. Your First Script-Fu Script
        3.5. Giving Our Script Some Guts
        3.6. Extending The Text Box Script
        3.7. Your script and its working

Could you (or any kind-hearted individual) provide any idea or
feedback about http://gimpchat.com ?

What I need is a script as follows:
I have a book that I have scanned. It has both the left page and the right
page.
When the script is run, it will open a copy of the file in a new
window and first select the right page, wait for minor alterations in
selection, when done, will delete the selected area and autocrop the
image to have the left page. Rename the page as "file name"_left.jpg
and close the new file.
Then it will open another copy of the file, select the left page, ait
for minor alterations in selection, when done, will delete the
selected area and autocrop the image to have the right page. Rename
the page as "file name"_right.jpg and close the new file.
Any advice?
Regards

On 03/04/2017, Alexandre Prokoudine <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 7:21 PM, Susmita/Rajib wrote:
> https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-using-script-fu-tutorial.html could
> be a start.

Re: Does GIMP have automated macro / batch processing?

Kevin Payne

________________________________

>Could you (or any kind-hearted individual) provide any idea or
>feedback about http://gimpchat.com ?

I would certainly recommend you post your requirement at GimpChat as there are a few people there who could create the script you require.

On 03/04/17 19:10, Susmita/Rajib wrote:
> Dear Sir,
> Thank you for your quick and informative reply.
> I am encouraged to ask: Is there a Script-Fu forum? I found some posts
> in Ubuntu:Forum by Google search with the string, "script-fu forum
> linux" but they are threads.
> Any dedicated forum for Script-Fu?
> I have perused your link. It gave me an useful lead.
> I then found the link: https://docs.gimp.org/en/index.html , and
> reached the following, but did not come across any relevant example:

You have many examples installed with your Gimp, since Gimp itself uses
scripts. Look into /usr/share/gimp/2.0/scripts

You can also write scripts in Python. See
https://www.gimp.org/docs/python/index.html

Some examples of Python scripts here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-tools/files/scripts/

Re: Does GIMP have automated macro / batch processing?

Susmita/Rajib
To Alexandre Prokoudine, Rick Strong, Kevin Payne, Ofnuts:
Dear Sirs,
Thank you for your suggestions.
Regards

Re: Does GIMP have automated macro / batch processing?

Steve Kinney
You may also find this useful, as you are working with a Linux OS:

https://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/crop/

Imagemagick is a very versatile tool for doing repetitive operations on
images.  In your use case, it would be possible to run the program
twice, to save cropped copies of the right half of every image, then
save copies of the left half of every image.

Determining the exact commands to use takes a little digging in the
documentation, but that's way easier than learning Scheme (or so I
imagine, not having learned Scheme myself).

If your scans don't need tweaking, and your target output is a PDF
document, Imagemagick covers that in one operation:

http://www.binarytides.com/convert-pdf-image-imagemagick-commandline/

:o)

On 04/04/2017 11:54 AM, Steve Kinney wrote:

> You may also find this useful, as you are working with a Linux OS:
>
> https://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/crop/
>
> Imagemagick is a very versatile tool for doing repetitive operations on
> images.  In your use case, it would be possible to run the program
> twice, to save cropped copies of the right half of every image, then
> save copies of the left half of every image.
>
> Determining the exact commands to use takes a little digging in the
> documentation, but that's way easier than learning Scheme (or so I
> imagine, not having learned Scheme myself).
>
> If your scans don't need tweaking, and your target output is a PDF
> document, Imagemagick covers that in one operation:
>
> http://www.binarytides.com/convert-pdf-image-imagemagick-commandline/

Oops, that's how to do the opposite thing:  Convert PDF to image files
with various tweaks.  Here's something more like what I intended:

convert *.jpg [output].pdf

Combining a large number of big images into one PDF file takes a lot of
resources and may even fail if your system is not very powerful.  For
those cases, this little script will do the job:

for f in *.jpg;
do
convert "$f" "${f%.jpg}.pdf"
done
pdftk *.pdf cat output combined.pdf/

(Needs the pdftk "PDF toolkit", available in all the major Linux repos.)

:o)