Quantcast

Displace filter question

rich2005
I posted a similar question before but I think I gave too much detail and it
wasnt clear. When I choose displace under map not all the layers show up. The
one under Generic is no longer there, even if I download the previous version
instead of 2.8.20. If I do a search for *generic in Gimp2 under Programs I get a
small list of files, but I dont know how to copy them here. However, there is
one that just says Image file, 2 under share/gimp/2.0/dynamic/basic, and several
in python. Not sure if that helps. Sorry, I can use almost any program with some
instruction, and I can generally follow directions, but I dont know anything
about programming or writing code. Thanks for your help. Let me know if there is
anything else you need to know or that I need to look for.

--
crj414 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)

Displace filter question

rich2005
>I posted a similar question before but I think I gave too much detail
>and it wasnt clear. When I choose displace under map not all the
>layers show up. The one under Generic is no longer there, even if I
>download the previous version instead of 2.8.20. If I do a search for
>*generic in Gimp2 under Programs I get a small list of files, but I
>dont know how to copy them here. However, there is one that just says
>Image file, 2 under share/gimp/2.0/dynamic/basic, and several in
>python. Not sure if that helps. Sorry, I can use almost any program
>with some instruction, and I can generally follow directions, but I
>dont know anything about programming or writing code. Thanks for your
>help. Let me know if there is anything else you need to know or that I
>need to look for.

I suspect nobody understands the question. All a bit of a guess from your
description.

1. The only default filters in Filters -> Generic are Convolution Matrix, Dilate
and Erode. Anything else you install yourself.

2. Filters -> Map -> Displace uses maximum 3 layers/images. The displacement
maps can be layers or another image. You need to open those in the dialogue
yourself. You can have the same map for both X and Y

screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/cInTD6K.jpg

3. If you had a displace filter in Filters -> Generic, It was possibly the old
MathMap plugin.

screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/3Huh4hx.jpg

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

Re: Displace filter question

On 25/03/17 07:34, crj414 wrote:
> I posted a similar question before but I think I gave too much detail and it
> wasnt clear. When I choose displace under map not all the layers show up.

Still not very clear... The Layers that can be used as a map in
Filter>Map>Displace must have the same size as the target layer. Those
that don't are filtered out of the selector.

> The one under Generic is no longer there, even if I download the previous version
> instead of 2.8.20.

I don't see the connection with Filters>Map>Displace. The "standard"
Filters>Generic menu contains, from memory: Convolution Matrix, Dilate,
Erode. Everything else would be plug-ins. So you would have to find
which plug-ins you added in your previous installation of Gimp (was that
on another computer?) and reinstall them. But for this to be successful
you would need more accurate memories.

Displace filter question

rich2005
>Still not very clear... The Layers that can be used as a map in
>Filter>Map>Displace must have the same size as the target layer. Those
>that don't are filtered out of the selector.
>I don't see the connection with Filters>Map>Displace. The "standard"
>Filters>Generic menu contains, from memory: Convolution Matrix,
>Dilate,
>Erode. Everything else would be plug-ins. So you would have to find
>which plug-ins you added in your previous installation of Gimp (was
>that
>on another computer?) and reinstall them. But for this to be
>successful
>you would need more accurate memories.

Ah. Thank you so much. I didn't realize the plugins from other sources added to
the existing filter menu. I thought all of those would be under FX or Script FU
menus. They are there now. And thanks for the other reminder. I thought they
were all the same size but when I examined them individually there was one that
was off. Thanks again. I'm a bit new to this intricate of a program so really
appreciate help.

--
crj414 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)