Difficulty getting GIMP up and running after reinstalling

Difficulty getting GIMP up and running after reinstalling

Austin Ng
Hey all,

Today I was trying to install a plugin for GIMP. Specifically, the one that allows you to see and work with DDS files. I was following the instructions here: http://itstillworks.com/install-dds-plugin-gimp-8340559.html

However, I had extreme difficulty finding the folder for GIMP. After a little bit of searching I discovered that back when I first downloaded GIMP, I had done so through a bitorrent (specifically, Vuze). To be safe, I deleted/got rid of the files with GIMP and did a redownload. However, there’s no shortcut for the new GIMP to be started. I looked under C->Program Files -> GIMP 2, but was not able to find the bin\gimp-2.8.exe that my searching on Google seems to imply is needed to launch GIMP.

I am becoming extremely frustrated by both the difficulty encountered and the lack of resources to solve the issue at hand. I am not sure whether my deletion and reinstallation of GIMP inadvertently caused any of these problems to be caused in the first place. What do you recommend I do to solve the issue?

All help is appreciated in advance.

Thanks,

Austin

Re: Difficulty getting GIMP up and running after reinstalling

Michael Schumacher

On 06/11/2017 04:44 AM, Austin Ng wrote:

> However, I had extreme difficulty finding the folder for GIMP. After
> a little bit of searching I discovered that back when I first
> downloaded GIMP, I had done so through a bitorrent (specifically,
> Vuze). To be safe, I deleted/got rid of the files with GIMP and did a
> redownload. However, there’s no shortcut for the new GIMP to be
> started. I looked under C->Program Files -> GIMP 2, but was not able
> to find the bin\gimp-2.8.exe that my searching on Google seems to
> imply is needed to launch GIMP.

This is the same issue as in

https://www.reddit.com/r/GIMP/comments/6gj0ed/redownloaded_gimp_to_try_to_get_a_plugin_working/

, I assume.